It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Schiavo Autopsy Clears Husband of Wrongdoing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Moments ago a team of Doctors confirmed at a news conference that Terri Schiavo was in fact brain dead; there were no signs of physical abuse and there were no signs of medical abuse as had been alleged by her parents. "Her brain weighed 615 grams, roughly half of the expected weight of a human brain. ... This damage was irreversible, and no amount of therapy or treatment would have regenerated the massive loss of neurons.''

news.yahoo.com

Terri Schiavo did not suffer any trauma prior to her 1991 collapse and her brain was about half of normal size when she died, according to results released Wednesday of an autopsy conducted on the severely brain-damaged woman.

Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner Jon Thogmartin concluded that there was no evidence of strangulation or other trauma leading to her collapse. He also said she did not appear to have suffered a heart attack.

Thogmartin also said that Schiavo's brain was about half of its expected size when she died March 31 in a Pinellas Park hospice, 13 days after her feeding tube was removed in a wrenching right-to-die dispute that engulfed the courts, Congress and the White House and divided the country.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It will be interesting to see what the parents have to say at their news conference later today. One thing is for sure the autopsy confirmed that there was no wronging by the husband or the medical community as had been alleged by her parents.

It should also be noted that when she died she was blind, but doctors are not sure when the blindness occurred. This also counters what the parents thought by insisting she tried to react to the removal of the feeding tube.

MSNBC is now carrying a more detailed version of the news conference, you can read it here

msnbc.msn.com...

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Should Terri Schiavo be allowed to die. / 10/22/04 UPDATE

Judge Orders Feeding Tube to Be Removed

[edit on 6/15/2005 by shots]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I doubt that after all the years of bitter turmoil these families have faced that Schiavo's family will come out and admit they were wrong in their assumptions...

Clearly these two families have never learned the valuable nature of civil discourse...I'm sure this will somehow work out to add more fuel to the fire, most unfortunately...

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The woman is dead. Evidence of abuse has been ruled out at autopsy. Morality aside, Florida law gave the woman's husband the right to end her life.

Everyone should just stand down and go on with life, even if that includes working to change the Florida law.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
What's wrong with the law? This is one of the few cases it worked...

I suppose you'd prefer to live as a vegetable for decades? Not me thanks....

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The woman is dead. Evidence of abuse has been ruled out at autopsy. Morality aside, Florida law gave the woman's husband the right to end her life.

Grady, this has been beaten to death here on ATS, but let me ask -- if her brain was indeed fried as the autopsy suggests, doesn't this mean her life ended a long time ago?

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The controversy in this case has centered on morality. That has been the family's position from the day this case came to public attention. I am merely saying that it is time for everyone to move on, even if moving on means, for some, campaining for legislative change. I didn't say there was anything wrong with the law, but many have felt that it needs changing. As to the time of death in its myriad definitions, the pathologist has already spoken to that.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

The autopsy of Terry Schiavo shows she died of dehydration and rules bulimia as the most likely reason for the collapse that landed her in the hospital over a decade ago.
Doctors state low potassium levels are the main piece of evidence indicating Schiavo suffered from an eating disorder prior to her hospitalization.

www.allheadlinenews.com...

While the real information as stated by the Doctors says just the opposite

The post-mortem investigation found no proof that she had an eating disorder, as was suspected at the time, Pinellas-Pasco medical examiner Jon Thogmartin said.
www.news24.com...

It would appear the first source quoted is no doubt pro-life and supported the parents is my guess.

[edit on 6/15/2005 by shots]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
`

from my biased eye
the autopsy report is just an official 'washing-of-hands' Pontius Pilate act

it seems that an outside agent like belladonna or a rohipnol cousin-drug
was not 'evidenced' as a cause for her brain shut-down.
it seems, the husbands' contract (read; marriage) nullified any supposed or infered agreements she could have made to friends, associates, parents...

again, absent a living-will, or any other legal device...the husbands' whim prevails....well -> after a suitable period of time, for appearances sake...and to distance the 'whim' from the monetary compensations and from
the eyes of scrutiny by a moralistic community which was pursuaded to accept the 'life-goes-on' perspective...and gloss over the 'other' family life which played out.

~~~~~

i was twice in comas, which lasted ~2 weeks each.
i'm no great thinker, but i have always declined being a 'organ donor'
as just that personal position might result in extra care being taken to
revive me, or perhaps have the medical community keep on testing or
administering (unrestrained by insurance limits) over-the-top procedures...
i might have been correct- - as i'm still here- -??

during my comatose times, i had no idea that i was in a 'degredaded quality of life' situation....there's few but thought-provoking episodes of
many year coma people just waking up, smiling, talking...for me to ever
say "pull-the-plug!"......sorry ,

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:10 PM
link   
For some reason, I'm still not please with what the atospy said. I still think someone is trying to hide something. For starts the doctor said that she was blind, but i still remeber before she died when the put a balloon in front of her face and she followed it. Is it me or does someone seem to be lying.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by alias101
For some reason, I'm still not please with what the atospy said. I still think someone is trying to hide something. For starts the doctor said that she was blind, but i still remeber before she died when the put a balloon in front of her face and she followed it. Is it me or does someone seem to be lying.

The video you mention was several years old and not taken at the time of her death. That is one possible explanation. Perhaps at that time she was able to see, no one really knows.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I don't think it's that the parents' crowd was lying, so much as making themselves believe what they wanted to believe. They wave a balloon in front of her face while her eyes are moving around, presto, her eyes must be following the baloon. I think there is more of wish-fulfillment to it than outright deception.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Amazing... Sometimes stuff really happens the way everyone says it did. No conspiracy, no hatred, no hidden agendas... Stuff just happens.

I hope we can finally let Terry rest in peace.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Half her brain was gone, and she was blind . Parents thought she could be rehabilitated, and interact with her.

Parents were wrong, the president and his brother were wrong, GOP were wrong.

All you had left was a PVS and no hope of recovery, yet probly because the parents never got the malpractice money they wanted to prolong her stay in care.

I really wish I never heard of this story, and the family members involved could have kept a queit private life free from hate

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
`

during my comatose times, i had no idea that i was in a 'degredaded quality of life' situation....there's few but thought-provoking episodes of
many year coma people just waking up, smiling, talking...for me to ever
say "pull-the-plug!"......sorry ,

For the post here I am very glad that you came out of your ordeal with your entire brain in one piece as to be able to post in this board.

As for the lady in question I don't believe she was in the same position as you.

She was nothing but an empty shell of once was a human being.

let the women rest in peace.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
For the post here I am very glad that you came out of your ordeal with your entire brain in one piece as to be able to post in this board.

Hehe....

I know that comment was meant to come off as funny, but I can't help myself....

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

again, absent a living-will, or any other legal device...the husbands' whim prevails....well -> after a suitable period of time, for appearances sake...and to distance the 'whim' from the monetary compensations and from
the eyes of scrutiny by a moralistic community which was pursuaded to accept the 'life-goes-on' perspective...and gloss over the 'other' family life which played out.

If money was the goal, taking 11 million dollars to put Terry's care into the parents' hands would have been the way to go....

He declined this.

As a Pinellas Country resident, I've seen this story I don't know how many times, and from just about every angle there is. Eventually, the right thing was done. Unfortunately, Terry had years of suffering due to this wrangling.

St. Udio,

Glad to see you pulled through, but the story would be quite different if half your brain was rotted away, as it was with Terri.

Glad to see someone come out of such situations though...

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Schiavo died of dehydration after nearly two weeks without food or fluids. How much did her brain atrophy during that time? The autopsy did not reveal at what point she became blind. What's with all the sodium in her body?

Schiavo died of dehydration and not starvation, the autopsy found.

``Removal of her feeding tube would have resulted in her death if she was fed and hydrated or not,'' Thogmartin said.

Medical examiners said they were surprised by the extent of Schiavo's dehydration and the high amount of sodium found in her skin and organs. Her brain was smaller than that of Karen Ann Quinlan, who died in 1985 after spending 10 years in a vegetative state that first drew national attention to the right-to-life debate.

www.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 05/6/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Grady -- I am not sure but I am misunderstanding what you are saying in you post about the sodium and brain atrophy. Are you thinking someone was giving her salt to speed things along or something along that line? Just wanted clarification as that is what I was getting from the post but it might not be what you meant at all?

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Excellent point Grady...

During an autopsy, sodium levels are obtained to help indicate the moisture level of the body and its organs...

Considering the fact that she supposedly died of dehydration, I find that quite and an interesting question myself

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I'm not saying anything. I'm asking questions. I sent an email to Greta Van Susteren asking her to address this matter, if you covers the autopsy results on her show.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join