It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real life video games by sending user into trance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This is a video I found of a game in england which you play and a hypnotist and his assistants control hypnotic flashes in the arcade game. 1/3 of people go into a catatonic trance state while playing the game. Then they literally move the person out into a warehouse and place him where he left off in the arcade game, thus making the person think it is real.

YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS TO BELIEVE IT!!!

IT IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE!!
www.kontrabandcontent.co.uk...

[edit on 6-15-2005 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a friend IM'd me that link Monday morning. Thats a pretty wild experiment. Hate to see what it could do to someone with Ill intentions

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by enrage
a friend IM'd me that link Monday morning. Thats a pretty wild experiment. Hate to see what it could do to someone with Ill intentions

Ya I know, they might actually try and kill the other people. That would be a lawsuit waiting to happen. As they guy is completely oblivious as he just thinks he's playing a video game. Loses conciousness sort of and then ends up in the vid game in real life.

I would probably freak, but laugh after it was over.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Yeah I saw this programme when it aired on Channel 4. The guy who came up with the idea is Derren Brown, a magician/hypnotist/psychologist kinda fellow. His programme rarely fails to amaze me. This particular trick was really impressive and funny to watch...i'd love to know how he does it. He didn't 'really kill someone' by the way, they were actors and the guy in a trance had a fake gun...pretty cool though

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimi
Yeah I saw this programme when it aired on Channel 4. The guy who came up with the idea is Derren Brown, a magician/hypnotist/psychologist kinda fellow. His programme rarely fails to amaze me. This particular trick was really impressive and funny to watch...i'd love to know how he does it. He didn't 'really kill someone' by the way, they were actors and the guy in a trance had a fake gun...pretty cool though

I know he didn't kill anyone lol... if you read the post you would know that I was saying what would happen if the guy who was in the trance would TRY and kill someone with his bare hands or something. I'm sure they have lots of security though. Still pretty dangerous, but what a rush and what a leap in entertainment!

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Its taken from an episode of the latest Derren Brown tv series here in the UK.

Very impressive but most of his stuff is.

Check out his website

www.channel4.com...

Most impressive is how he sends people to sleep in telephone boxes.

He is probably the best in the business.

Odd

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
i watched that video after a link was posted on another message board, and needless to say i thought it was very interesting.

the only question i have is this: what if the subject had become frustrated with the obvious ineffectuality of his 'gun', and proceeded to beat the 'zombies' on the head with it?

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega

I know he didn't kill anyone lol... if you read the post you would know that I was saying what would happen if the guy who was in the trance would TRY and kill someone with his bare hands or something.

Yeah just re-read the original post it wasn't structured brilliantly but I apologise anyway.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This is a load of hooey. Did the filmmaker hypnotize the game players friends so that they would let their "friend" be kidnapped and subjected to psychological trauma. Some may remember the experiments of Stanley Milgram in the 1950s.

www.google.com...

Concerns over the ethics of Milgram's experiments led to his not being granted tenure a Harvard and such concerns led, in no small part, to the kinds of informed consent that must be assured prior to conducting such an experiment.

Presumably, this "experiment" goes even further, by using "convenience sampling" to identify a subject and relies on the subject's friends to allow a friend to be manipulated in such a way as to raise suspicion and even outrage in most individuals.

Beyond that why wouldn't the filmmaker/illusionist simply carry out an ethical experiment in a laboratory with subjects who have given informed consent, instead of hiding in a pub and using a gurney to transport the subject through city streets? And if all that commotion didn't wake the subject, why would an air-horn do that at just the desired moment?

In other words, this whole thing is a sham and the subjects were part of the game.

[edit on 05/6/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Those who knows how Derren and other "media-hypnotists" work knows that all the shows are prepared beforehand, chosing subject most likely to enter a trance state etc.

Although flashes as shown in the video *do* induce sezisures etc. in some individuals and is also used in EEG testing to see whether a person suffer from "light-induced" sezisures which may indicate epilepsy (spelled correctly?) it is highly unlikely IMHO that this should happen as shown in the video.

One of my kids went trough EEG-testing after having a sezisure some years back. The strobe-flashing the doctors tested on him would show if he was affected by flashes. When asked how this could manifest itself, the doctors said that it could be everything to be out of focus *a couple of seconds* to a grand mal sezisure.

What we see in the video is nothing of that, but a "light-induced" trance state. How could this happen? Easy, it was inserted as a post-hypnotic suggestion by Derren in the preparation of the show.

Rest assured that the guys friends was in on the whole thing.

If your are interested in the mechanism of stage hypnosis I recommend the book

The New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism, by Ormond McGill

www.amazon.com...=1118857957/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-6243598-9720163?v=glance&s=books

// kickass

top topics

join