It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Australian Hostage In Iraq Freed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Iraqi soldiers have freed the Australian hostage, Douglas Wood, from insurgents. He had been abducted in late April this year and was being held by a group called the Shura Council of the Mujahedeen of Iraq. The Australian government had refused to negotiate with the insurgents but had sent police and diplomats to secure his release.

news.yahoo.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraqi troops, backed by U.S. forces, freed an Australian hostage after more than a month in captivity, officials said Wednesday.

There were no details available on the operation in Baghdad that led to the release of Douglas Wood, a 64-year-old engineer and resident of California, who was abducted in late April by a militant group calling itself the Shura Council of the Mujahedeen of Iraq.

The Australian government had refused to bend to the kidnappers' demands but immediately sent a team of diplomats, police and military personnel to Baghdad to seek his release.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Great news. Im very happy for Douglas Wood and his family. I hope this can be a lesson to all foreigners working Iraq. Is the money really worth the risk to your life?

Very lucky man.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:14 AM
link   
this is a victory for the iraqi forces, and the fight on terror.

i am surprised, and very relieved that he survived this long.

this is great news.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
This is truly wonderful news. I don't think the majority of such abductees can hope for the same outcome.
But let's take what victories we can.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This is great news! It should be noted that the Australian grand Mufti has been very actively trying the secure his release and probably had a big hand in this favorable outcome. As an Australian I'm very glad to see the muslim community get right behind him and push so hard for his release.

Australia's senior Islamic leader Sheikh Taj Aldin Alhilali flew to Iraq to negotiate Mr Wood's release, ultimately offering himself as a substitute.

Mr Howard paid tribute to the efforts of Australia's Islamic community and the mufti.

"I also place on record my appreciation for the efforts of the Australian Islamic community and of Sheikh Taj Alhilali."

news.ninemsn.com.au...

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Trent.

Your sentiments are aptly expressed, and would be worthwhile if they were in fact true.
I believe that the release of Mr Wood was in no way connected with the
actions of the described Mufti, but rather a combined Iraqi-US military raid.

The Mufti has a long track record of anti-western statements that bely his current efforts, well documented at a website called "Jihad Watch". I highly recommend it.

In any event, the rescue of this single Aussie, enraging the emissaries of the 'religion of peace' will I'm sure be soon offset by the kidnapping, torture and dismemberment of some other poor western infidel.

Trent, I truly wish that more Islamic voices would be raised as 'possibly' has this Mufti's. I fear they will not.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Umm... if it wasn't for the Mufti's negotiations he would have been dead days ago, since he go them to extend their deadline. Also it's very likely that his location was tracked down during these negotiations (he met with people who had links to the kidnappers) because if you can talk to someone you can track them. Anyway i don't see why our Prime Minister would thank him if he had nothing to do with it.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
This is exactly what the entire world Islamic community should be doing. It restores some faith in Humanity.

Though while the rest of the so-called "moderate" Muslim world still sits silent, people will still be abducted, instead of never being captured and terrorized in the first place.

(edited for spelling)

Originally posted by Trent
This is great news! It should be noted that the Australian grand Mufti has been very actively trying the secure his release and probably had a big hand in this favorable outcome. As an Australian I'm very glad to see the muslim community get right behind him and push so hard for his release.

Australia's senior Islamic leader Sheikh Taj Aldin Alhilali flew to Iraq to negotiate Mr Wood's release, ultimately offering himself as a substitute.

Mr Howard paid tribute to the efforts of Australia's Islamic community and the mufti.

"I also place on record my appreciation for the efforts of the Australian Islamic community and of Sheikh Taj Alhilali."

news.ninemsn.com.au...

[edit on 15-6-2005 by Phugedaboudet]

top topics

join