It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States: Trade Bully and BSE Coverups

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
First off I'd like to mention that I talked about this before, BSE coverups, it was only a matter of time before it started to come out.

Heres one thing I dont understand. Why doesnt the United States play fair in regards to trade?

Im going to pick on the united states because of a recent issue that really upsets me.

Being in agriculture im affected by the cattle bans and BSE issue. So when this story came up, my reaction was less than happy.

JUN. 14 10:34 A.M. ET Japan's negotiations with the United States aimed at restarting stalled imports of American beef won't be set back by a suspected second U.S. case of mad cow disease, a Japanese agriculture official said Tuesday.

Washington has intensified pressure on Tokyo to end a 17-month-old ban on American beef imports, with some U.S. officials threatening sanctions unless the ban ends.

Japan was the United States' most lucrative overseas beef market before the ban started in December 2003, days after the United States discovered its first case of mad cow disease. The U.S. Agriculture Department said Friday it will seek further testing of a tissue sample from a "downer" cow -- one unable to walk -- after receiving conflicting results on tests of it for mad cow disease.

Source

Oh thats just great, they want Japan in talks to open up trade.

What about Canada? Why wont they help out Canada, the largest trade partner?

Perhaps its because they dont play by the rules and they want money money money.

But it doesnt end there.

Washington, DC, Jun. 14 (UPI) -- The U.S. Department of Agriculture plans to send a brain sample from a suspected mad cow case to England to have it confirmed by experts there, after the animal had retested positive for the deadly disease, but the agency resisted both retesting and seeking the additional confirmation last March, saying it was unnecessary, United Press International has learned.

I thought the whole Canadian ban was to product american consumers ! Oh but it must not be that important because they refuse to test their own. Do you think thats why you havnt found many cases?

Source

Heres a run down of USDA Talks

Source

And yet they talk about how the case was found in a dairy cow and that the produce is safe because none of it was processed for human consumption. Well newsflash, so was the case in Canada (dairy) and look at where we are today.

Enjoy your BSE America.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Nobody cares to comment on this issue? Do you not think the nations food supply is a big deal?

Tell that to the farmers losing billions over this issue.

The
Food and Drug Administration promised to tighten feed rules shortly after the first case of mad cow disease was confirmed in the U.S., in a Washington state cow in December 2003.

"Today we are bolstering our
BSE firewalls to protect the public," Mark McClellan, then-
FDA commissioner, said on Jan. 26, 2004. FDA said it would ban blood, poultry litter and restaurant plate waste from cattle feed and require feed mills to use separate equipment to make cattle feed.

However, last July, the FDA scrapped those restrictions. McClellan's replacement, Lester Crawford, said an international team of experts assembled by the Agriculture Department was calling for even stronger rules and that FDA would produce new restrictions in line with those recommendations.

Today, the FDA still has not done what it promised to do. The agency declined interviews, saying in a statement only that there is no timeline for new restrictions.

"It's just a lot of talk," said Rep. Rosa DeLauro (news, bio, voting record), D-Conn., a senior House Democrat on food and farm issues. "It's a lot of talk, a lot of press releases, and no action."

As we speak the united states is testing a case for BSE in England.

A U.S. Agriculture Department official left Thursday for England carrying brain tissue samples from a cow suspected of having mad cow disease.

Now with all the R-Calf issues and the delayed border opening to Canadian cattle who is feeling the burn?

Well both sides but also the United states in another way. You see processing plants in the united states depend on canadian cattle as you see, many canadian cattle are processed in the united states, well they used to be. Now american jobs are being lost and plants are closing doors.

Now do you realise what a threat BSE has now?

When the united states has it and countries start putting on bans and more bans where does the food come from.

You cant sell your cows out of your country, nobody wants them.

Oh well we will just get them from Canada..... oh wait........ they are banned too.

Well we can eat ours!... at risk of running supply and demand into astronomic levels.

So will the united states open up the canadian border when its very own BSE causes them problems?

Most likely.

And yet again Canadian farmers will get stepped all over.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I am sorry to hear of the problem you are having. I don't like what you do for a living, but I agree, the US doesn't seem to be playing fair. But they are playing by their own interests, which is really what they, and everyone else, always does.

What about domestically? Aren't sales up in Canada, or is there just not enough of us?

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Like any big business, exporting is what makes the big dollars, but with a ban like this the money just isnt made.

Sure there are consumers in the effected country, but not nearly enough. In canada anyways.

The united states has an awful lot of cattle but im not sure on the numbers. they could probably sustain themselves quite well.

Canada has more than enough to go around.

To give you an idea of what cattle prices are doing now, you make about 1/3 of what you used to.

Myself I only work on a grain farm. But what goes into feeding cheap cattle?

Cheap grain. Grain prices also suck now.

Barely over input costs.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about that, what about switching? I remember a documentry on New Zeland during their bankruptcy. While the bankrupcy was going through the farmers were in deep trouble over the same thing. That in essense, even with governmental subsidies they were just breaking even, so when demand dropped they were also sunk. A few, decided to just change commodities, they went from raising sheep to something else(Don't think it was catttle though) and in the end they made more without the sub's than they ever did with them. Not that there wasn't a lot of pain and suffering, just trying to be the barer of good hope.

Maybe Hemp fields, or someway of providing ethonel or something? C'mon you are a Canadian farmer, the best of the best. If some New Zelanders can overcome simple economics, surely you can too? Or is it a different case entirely?

Sorry really, don't know much about it. Toronto city boy myself. Woudln't know how to even milk a cow.

All the best luck to you.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Well we are not in cattle, but grain. The problem is they are all connected in some way and each affect one another.

Because there are more cattle to feed, they need more feed.

Which sounds like it would drive prices up, but it doesnt.

The past year has shown an abundance of feed grain. Nearly everyone has feed grain, and it drove the market right down.

Everyone wants to sell the same product.

As for diversity, its always an option.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Let it be known, that the cases stem from inside the united states and NOT an external source such as canada.

Did I ever mention how the first case found in Canada was actually from a former american farmer?

Hmm indeed.

Ive talked about this subject alot before, and well I could see it coming.

Hey hey all the john titor people have something to talk about now.

top topics

join