It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay hero?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Could someone please explain to me why this person is a "gay hero?" Wouldn't he be a rapist? This is sick. And it has nothing to do with sexual preference...

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Ugh..

I'm ashamed to live here, never knew that was here.. somewhere downtown I guess. I'm not against homosexuality, but this is just perverted and pathetic, not anywhere near a hero, especially in our modern times.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I don't understand... It doesn't seem like it celebrates homosexuality... In fact it plays into the hands of many age old stereotypes. I wonder who funded this?

[edit on 14-6-2005 by tacitblue]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Everyone cheers as the sheet, that had become stuck to the statue of gay pioneer Alexander Wood's head, finally slides off, revealing a 2.5-metre bronze man with frilly cuffs, a bulging crotch and a Superman tuft of hair hanging above his handsome, chiselled face.

www.queerday.com...

OK, it might be a bit off colour for some people, but it fits into the Church St. area quite well. People rub the mans buns for good luck.

There is no proof that Alexander Wood was gay, he was just labeled that way when he demanded to see suspect's genitals after a woman claimed she scratched that area on her rapist during an attack.

The picture depicts a man being inspected by Alexander Wood, not molested.

A quote from the original link:

Wood emigrated from Scotland in the 1790s, becoming a merchant, militiaman and a well-respected magistrate, before running into trouble in 1810.
A woman reported a rape, noting she had scratched the attacker on his genitals. Wood took matters into his own hands, lining up the suspects and demanding that they drop their pants so he could "inspect" them.

It looks like he was just doing his job as a magistrate in trying to solve a crime.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   
tacitblue and Ksnazdnzon did either of you bother to read the article or did you just look at the headline and the picture?

I will admit when I first saw the picture I was a bit surprised and taken back - - then I read the article and realized there was nothing sexual about it at all. In fact they say in the article that it isn't even know if Alexander Wood was even gay. He was just labeled that when people didn't agree with his method of investigating the rape. The woman raped said she scratched the rapist on his genitals - as the magistrate he was trying to find the rapist.

from Websters Online

One entry found for magistrate.
Main Entry: mag·is·trate
Pronunciation: 'ma-j&-"strAt, -str&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English magestrat, from Latin magistratus magistracy, magistrate, from magistr-, magister master, political superior -- more at MASTER
: an official entrusted with administration of the laws: as a : a principal official exercising governmental powers over a major political unit (as a nation) b : a local official exercising administrative and often judicial functions c : a local judiciary official having limited original jurisdiction especially in criminal cases

in other words he was just doing his job!

So there is nothing sexual or dirty in the sculpture -- it is all in the mind of the beholder.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
That is classic!!! This is the best idea they could come up with for a bronze plaque? Regardless of what the real story was, the plaque is a joke. It looks like he's molesting a boy. Damn straight people have a right to be offended! Why not just put the guy's face on the plaque with the story written underneath and leave it at that?

It looks more like a plaque honoring the first NAMBLA member.

Peace

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Here is a link to a picture of the whole statue... showing the plaque with the explanation of what it depicts on it.

picture of statue

most people wont even look at it -- or know the plaque is even there to read about the history of the man.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Before I read the arcticle I was shocked that someone would make such a thing, but after I READ the arcticle I realised that there is no sexuality intended for this statue. Either someone needs their head fixed or someone needs their head fixed ( meant to repeat myself) !

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
This magistrate was trying to determine who was the rapist, because the woman said she scratched the rapists gonads.

It isn't certain the guy was gay, but he was accused and persecuted for it anyway.

I don't know if i would call him a hero, but It is a very colorful story. Like a lot of those funny pioneer stories, some real characters there.

I don't understand why people are so excitedly objecting to it.

The bare male butt?
Um, ever seen Michaelangelo's 'David'?

[edit on 15-6-2005 by slank]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
While I don't believe that the statue itself is offending in any way, why did they have to put that scene on the plaque? I mean the explanation would have been enough, without a scene that could be misconstrued as a sexual act. In my opinion, the scene was put there to be controversial and is totally unnecessary in honoring this man.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It's not clear from the article whether the man was any more a pervert than any urologist in town. Clearly, someone would have had to inspect the suspects. The state of medicine in the early 19th century was less than primitive and doctors were not available everywhere. Of course, the manner of the inspection would reveal a lot, but I didn't see that mentioned in the aritcle.

What is definitely inappropriate is the scene depicted on the plaque. Clear thinking people should be outraged.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Ever been to gold mine towns in the west?

All the tales of the local madame kicking the local pompous bigwig, etc?

I like that stuff.

Those people had some personality and self confidence.

People today seem bent on being as bland and generic as possible. I realize this may be necessary in corporate American culture for survival, but lets not turn the entire world into Boiled Oatmeal! ok?

Sex is not bad. Sex can be healthy.
Living people breathe, mausoleums and formaldehyde are for DEAD people.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank

Yeah, but what has that got to do with the subject at hand.

[edit on 05/6/15 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank

That really has nothing to do with it. The first thing any normal human being thinks of when they see a picture of a boy/man standing up with his pants pulled down and a grown man kneeling in front of him looking and grasping at said boy's/man's exposed package is homosexual sex or molestation. If one thinks first of something other than either of those then they might want to pay a visit to a shrink. It's unacceptable for public display.

Peace

[edit on 15-6-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This is an area of Toronto that is world renown for it's diversity and a strong gay community.
If this community wants to honour a man that was run out of town for being thought of as gay, YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!

www.gayguidetoronto.com...
www.queerculture.com...

Toronto is the lesbian and gay centre of Canada. In 2004, Toronto hosted the largest Lesbian and Gay Pride Day celebration in North America (well over 750,000 people strong). Toronto's very visible and safe gay village boasts dozens of bars, dance clubs and restaurants as well as five 24 hour steambaths, several adult and strip clubs and North America's largest and most active gay theatre. Amazing shopping and accommodation is all within walking distance. Everything from upscale gay boutiques, discount shopping, mammoth malls to the world's largest underground city featuring 1,200 stores and services. The current U.S. dollar is worth 20 cents more!

www.funmaps.com...

This area also has some of the oldest and most beautiful architecture in the city of Toronto.
www.gcatholic.com...

This statue fits right in with all the sidewalk cafes and bars, with men walking hand in hand, and two women kissing on the street corner outside of Starbucks.
Community standards are just a bit different along Church St. than in some other areas.

What I say won't change any closed minds, but at least try to judge the statue in a fair light, and understand what sort of setting the statue is in.

Live, and let live............... They have broken no laws.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
What's the address of this. I take trips dowtown every once in a while, and wouldn't mind checking it out.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   

MOLLY WOOD LANDMARK

CHURCH-WELLESLEY VILLAGE -- A large crowd has congregated outside American Apparel at Church and Alexander Streets. Bagpipers, drummers, members of the ROTC (the Righteously Outrageous Twirling Corps, of course) and people in giant pineapple and kiwi costumes eagerly await the unveiling of Toronto's newest monument. Unfortunately, the sheet has become stuck on the statue's head. As the crowd laughs, a man turns to his friend and says, "I hope Diana Ross gets a monument next."

(I can't post a link due to the content on the original page)

I looked at Google Maps, and if you go down to Maple Leaf Gardens at Church & Carlton and head away from the lake, up Church St. you should find it 2 blocks up.
(WOW !!!!! That satellite thing works pretty good for Canada too. Anyone offering advice on how I can capture those screen images, ante up. I'd sure like to know how to save some of them. I've seen other members post them)

If you do get down to see it, come back to this thread and let us know what you think. Better yet!!!!! Snap a few pics and post them.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
So the point of that story would be
'Man exiled through fear of gayness'

After he tried to catch a rapist who had been scratched by his victim.
What did he do wrong?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

What is definitely inappropriate is the scene depicted on the plaque. Clear thinking people should be outraged.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I was outraged, but I do agree with you totaly.

It is a very odd choice of scene to display on a statue.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Clear thinking people should be outraged.

Or amused frankly. It's a colourful anecdote that has been translated into a fairly inoffensive image, it's not hard to picture the mighty detective Colombo using such "no nonsense" techniques to solve a particularly devilish case!

"Just one more thing sir!" Accompanied with a knowing glint in his glass eye.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join