It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

<Background Image Instructions>

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Nevermind.....

Mechanic 32.

[edit on 5/5/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Oct, 30 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I just created a background image of my own, not quite as snazzy as KLs or some of the other avatar wizards on the board. But I found that a helpful thing to do was to take a 'screen shot' of one of my posts, and then use that to make sure that my image wasn't obscured by some of the things that the board puts over them, such as your name, or for me the tinwiki tags, etc. And then to use that as a template.

I suppose though that that just gives you something like an avatar really.

Anyway, here is a template that I worked up based on an average post. You might also need to create a 'clear' transparent avatar, to give some space for everything to show up.

img174.imageshack.us...

So, just as a caution, this is based on a post that is of a certain length, and that has an avatar of a certain size on it already. You can make the lengths of the background image as long as you deem, the longer, the less they will 'repeat'.
But, of course, repeating, whether tiling as blocks or just verticle stacks, might be desired, so its up to you.

What you can do with the above image is download it, and then use it to size your background image, pasting your background image over it and working on it in that, so that you can see how everything would line up. Then you'd want to copy your finished background image and make it into its own file (or alternatively, crop the image to only show your image). Then you'd do all the instructions that allow you to upload and then display the image.

Hope this helps anyone, or at least prevents them from spending a buttload of points and not being happy with the results.

posted on Oct, 31 2006 @ 05:54 AM
link   
You know Nygdan,

When I tried it, the "Mood" the "Member is on" and the points all were displayed directly under the "Writer/Scholar" status and looked horrible...

After a few thousand points, I just gave up...

Also for some reason, it would not let me just delete the Avatar???

I had to put in an avatar that was transparent to get the background image to "Take"??

I think I'll try your system and see how it goes..

Thanks

Semper

[edit on 10/31/2006 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Please don't think I'm technologically incompetent, but my upload center says "access error".

So um..... I can't get a background image. Any suggestions? Please.

I know the quote is old, but no one ever answered him/her.
I'm having the same problem.
I'm using Firefox and when I click on the Upload Center, I get a blank area where the upload center should be and text that says

access error

When I use IE, it's just a blank "white" area with a grayed-out scrollbar.

I've checked all the settings I know, but something's blocking it, I think.

Any ideas?

Hydden

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydden
I'm using Firefox and when I click on the Upload Center, I get a blank area where the upload center should be and text that says

access error

When I use IE, it's just a blank "white" area with a grayed-out scrollbar.

I've checked all the settings I know, but something's blocking it, I think.

Any ideas?

Make sure you are on the ATS board. Not BTS or PTS. For some reason, it works better that way.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Yep...I'm on the ATS side.

My java settings are wide open.
Security is set to let all abovetopsecret.com through.

Any other ideas?

Hydden

P.S. I just tried changing my avatar again to something else and when I hit Submit, it refreshes the page and the avatar line is blank and my avatar pic is gone. I'm trying in IE and Firefox with no luck.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydden

P.S. I just tried changing my avatar again to something else and when I hit Submit, it refreshes the page and the avatar line is blank and my avatar pic is gone. I'm trying in IE and Firefox with no luck.

your avatar is probably too big. if it is too big, it will automatically be deleted.

post the url here, so we can see...

If you need help resizing it while retaining full quality, I can help...

[edit on 2/5/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Ok..that's what it was with my avatar! You rock!
I'd give you some points for helping me with that, but I've been trying to save enough to get a background image and I finally have enough (whew)...but the upload center won't work.

Any ideas on the upload center access error (Firefox) / blank box (IE)
I can provide screenshots if you like.

Hydden

[edit on 2/5/2007 by Hydden]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
That's a sharp avatar!

As far as the upload not working for you, I haven't a clue.

If none of the staff get to reply to this thread, perhaps using the Complain/Suggestion function will produce results.

edit =
Just now noticed also that your avatar filesize is 10kb or so over the limit.

If you can, try to trim it back to under 75kb, to conform to the avatar guidelines here.

avatar should be 160 pixels wide x 320 pixels high, no more than 75 kb in filesize.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Thanks so much for the help, Mechanic!

Hydden

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
You're welcome. In case you hadn't seen the edit in my last post, your avatars filesize is a bit more than permissible.

If you can reduce the filesize to 75 kb or less, it would be super, and ensure that you won't get in trouble for it.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Is there anything I can do to fix my background image from tiling like that without having to resize and pay another 2500 points?

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
how do you make a clear avatar,? because I sure could use one. At the moment I have my background with an avatar I made from it to keep my tags spaced.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
how do you make a clear avatar,? because I sure could use one. At the moment I have my background with an avatar I made from it to keep my tags spaced.

Do you mean a transparent avatar?

you can use this one...

i45.photobucket.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:12 PM
link   
ha ha for a minute I thought you where pulling my leg I clicked the link and just a white page until I saved the picture, thank you It works

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
ha ha for a minute I thought you where pulling my leg

Would I do that?

clicked the link and just a white page

That's why I did not use the [img] tags. You would'nt have even seen it that way.

until I saved the picture, thank you It works

you're welcome.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Hi, I have a new avatar I want to use and would also like to use a background image with it.

My avatar is 160 x 320 animated GIF format with transparency and is about 71k filesize.

The background is 200 x 600 animated GIF and is 49k filesize.

Will the animated GIF background work with the animated GIF avatar?

I do not want to waste the points if it won't, and will go with just a plain colour if not!

Any advice/comments?

[edit on 17-5-2007 by nerbot]

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot

I do not want to waste the points if it won't, and will go with just a plain colour if not!

Hi nerbot, I believe it will work. If it doesn't, I will refund you the points that it costs you. Which brings me to a point I would like to make. It appears you do not have enough points to make the purchase. I believe it costs 2,500 points. This can seem to be a daunting pinnacle to try and reach. However, if you write a good tinWiki article, I will award you more than enough points to make the purchase.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Grrrrrrrrrreat.

I am well aware I don't have enough points for this yet, but bear with me.....

One of my hobbies is computer graphics and I spend a long time making these kind of "pixel by pixel" images. It was a compatibility issue really to avoid wasting time.

Thanks for such a rapid response and your assurance of sorting it out if it doesn't work.

If you would like a preview, just let me know. If it works, then it will open up a new possibility for ATS artists who enjoy working on and having creative backgrounds and avatars.

I'll get my thinking cap on for that "tinwiki" article

You're a star!

[edit on 17/5/2007 by nerbot]

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
I'll get my thinking cap on for that "tinwiki" article

You're a star!

[edit on 17/5/2007 by nerbot]

If tinwiki is not you thing I am willing to give you 1500 points for a good article in Energy & Science Issues Forum, Thats just chump change though compared to what William One Sac can give you.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join