It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

<Background Image Instructions>

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Recently we've had some confusion when members were attempting to purchase the mini-profile background image feature from the ATS store. I hope that the following instructions will help to alleviate some of the confusion.

Before you begin be sure the image you intend to use is on your computers hard drive and is no larger than 50k. The size of the image will be different for everyone but I don’t recommend an image over say 210 pixels wide as the typical width of the table cell for your custom profile is about 180 pixels. Also please note that this feature costs 2500 points and has nothing to do with the avatar image, this if for the image behind the avatar that fills the entire mini-profile. Keep in mind that the general image rules found in the Avatar and Signature Guidelines apply to the image you use as your background..

Here we go…

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Once I get 2500 points this will come in handy. Thank you for your information!

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Great info, kinglizard! I'm sure it will be very helpful!1

Urn

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
can i use photobucket as a host for my background image, or do i have to use ATS's upload thingy?

JAK

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
EDIT!! - I should read before posting!

Images for background must be hosted on ATS.

Avatar images can be hosted where ever desired.

Thanks Odium

Jak

[edit on 15/8/05 by JAK]

Urn

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
thanx jak....DAMN that was a fast responce by the way

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JAK

Originally posted by Urn
can i use photobucket as a host for my background image, or do i have to use ATS's upload thingy?

You can use whatever host you wish, I make use of ImageShack a fair bit.

Jak

As far as I know, a background image has to be on ATS and not any other server. I do not think they allow it?

posted on Aug, 15 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Yeah, I actually spent 2500 point a while ago on that... Well now my avatar is really nice... Cool instructions tough...

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Please don't think I'm technologically incompetent, but my upload center says "access error".

So um..... I can't get a background image. Any suggestions? Please.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:16 AM
link   
How do I turn it off?

I got snow now and I don´t need any other picture than the background color which is black.

How to remove current background image?

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
How do I turn it off?

I got snow now and I don´t need any other picture than the background color which is black.

I think you must purchase it again with no input to get it to default, ??? or enter what ever code it is for the colour you want. ????

[edit on 20/2/2006 by Sauron]

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron

I think you must purchase it again with no input to get it to default, ??? or enter what ever code it is for the colour you want. ????

I was thinking that as well. But there is already parts of an url preset in front of the filename-field when "purchasing" a background image. I don´t want to spend 2500 points to purchase a red x in the middle of my avatar. The color code won´t work as url for background image. I could upload a black picture and add that. I just hoped there would be an easier solution to simply turn it off. It will be expensive if I have to spend 2500 points every time I want to change the background color. I already have black as background color. At least it was black before I purchased the animated snow background image that I have now.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:13 PM
link   
All I did was try to change my background color about a month ago....nothing......I did loose a lot of points, and went negative...email mods three times...nothing....HELP!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
How do I turn it off?

Just delete the image from your upload space. Then clear your computers cache, that should do it.

posted on Feb, 20 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac

Just delete the image from your upload space.

Thanks, it worked. I was worried it would turn out as a "red x" when the image was missing. And it didn´t. Great. And it cost me nothing to turn it off.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It seems I am in the habit of dredging up old threads tonight, although this one is only a year ancient.

When you upload a background image (say it is 200x600), does the image stretch vertically when you post a long reply, or is it doubled or tripled (i.e. two/three images appear stacked atop one another)?

And when you post short, is the image compressed, or just cut off? Anyone know this?

edit: okay, I just answered my own question. Image is cut off for short ones, and doubled up for long ones.

Taking this into account, what would the recommended image height be?

[edit on 22/4/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocksTaking this into account, what would the recommended image height be?

Small images will tile themselves. (keep repeating to fill length of post)

While an image that is large will do the same, I would keep it o a reasonable size, say 500 pixels in height. See kinglizards above? his is pretty long, maybe even 800 or so pixels.

I don't really recommend background images, though. Too costly, in my opinion.

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Ok, thanks Mechanic, but what are the recommended methods of keeping an image below 50k?

JPEG it, perhaps, but that takes away a lot of the quality - I think . . . I dunno.

What other image format options are out there, that are both small in size and great in quality?

< - -- heeey, not that bad. Perhaps a fade in from the left, hmm.

I fine-tuned the jpeg size in PS until it was just under 70k. Nicely done.

[edit on 22/4/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 08:36 AM
link   
GIF format also reduces size, but you'll have to know how to use compression correctly for best results.

Is your source image in BMP format?

edit = keyboard malfunction

[edit on 4/22/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Apr, 22 2006 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Err, I really would not know. I just copied and pasted. Worked fine, so on complaining.

Ohmy yes, it looks like I will have to play with blending the tops and bottoms. Looks crap on those long posts.
Tagging, here I come!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join