It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Anyone Prove Any of the Topics in this forum actually Exist?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The name says it all, but quite seriously, stories are quite fun to read, but talk is cheap and I almost never get any good facts to any of it. All dreams and feelings and hearsay and "my Buddy can read your Mind" junk.

None of it has any factual basis. Now, I do NOT reject any of it beforehand nor refuse to accept its existance, as long as someone (anyone) backs it up in a logical and understandable, and reproducable manner.

"I can't prove i see the Future" probably goes under "cant prove it."

I know Im messing with peoples long held beliefs and ideas, but stories and stories and stories, I must See Some proof, Lest I conclude the world is governed by atom and physical laws and no one can shake it.

P.S. Im going to get !@#$, yes I know, but it's Ok.

Odd

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a lot of people don't believe any of this stuff.

that's why they don't post here.

EDIT: and before you get too hung up on physical science, do some research on quantum physics. it turns out we really don't understand jack.

i recommend the film 'What the (bleep) do we know?'. it's a good starting point for those interested in the science of the quantum world, and it is available over the illegal peer-to-peer downloading client of your choice.

[edit on 6/14/2005 by Odd]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I think the best thing about this site is its ability th challenge everyday thinking, some of the posts are obviously unbelievable without proof , but many have some underlining truth to them that i want to be proven. Hang in here its good for your brain.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
My brain has all it can do to defend the title of Logic!

Somepeople just believe anything....

or rather, they believe what they want to believe, rather than what the evidence points to...

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Raideur Can i ask if you have ever expeienced anything parnormal...

I think the problem is ... has science evolved enough to measure paranormal occurances?

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The human brain is the only thing in this world that doesnt make logical sense. Everything else fits, it all works, and outside of your skull, the puzzle is complete.

Enter the cranium, and you get horribly strange things like hypnosis, religion, magic, the id, and by far the most disruptive, and most difficult to predict or explain, the dreaded emotions.....

Those feelings put the biggest dent in my theory of everything than anything else in the universe.

Stupid love.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The thing about the brain in Humans is that it want to know everything at once, this is not possible so you have to look and see what other brains are thinking about ,trouble is your brain either accepts or rejects other brains because they don't agree with yours. If you get your brain to look at things and let it have a chance of saying maybe , you have joined us.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
WRT global consciousness, Princeton actually has a study going on that has shown some proof that it exists. There were some anomolies on 9/11 that can't be explained any other way.

There are some ESP type researchers who are starting to collect some promising data that a weak form exists, although nothing as powerful as you'd see on TV.

Here are some links to explore:

noosphere.princeton.edu...
noosphere.princeton.edu...
www.ncpa.org...
www.psiresearch.org...

There are other links that you can find by searching on parapsychology on the internet.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Just a very quick note here as I am about to log off. You are asking for some type of scientific proof that these things exist and some how make logical sense. I think this is a wonderful idea....skepticism shows that you are intelligent. However, remember that at one time we had no proof of things like radiation, gravity, DNA, electricity, etc. Why people were born or died, birds were able to fly, and stars fell from the sky made no sense to us. That didn't mean that those things didn't exist or happen. It only meant we hadn't found a way to understand it.

Science is ever evolving in its techniques and discoveries, but the scientific theory is pretty constant. The first thing scientist do when trying to prove or disprove something is form a hypothesis. Then they obtain facts through experimentation and so on. The things that you want to see evidence of are only in the hypothesis stage right now. Be patient and let's see what we may discover as true evidence tomorrow!

PS:

Theory: A set of statements or principles devised to explain a group of facts or phenomena, especially one that has been repeatedly tested or is widely accepted and can be used to make predictions about natural phenomena.

There is a reason it is called the theory of relativity, theory of evolution, and the big bang theory!

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The princeton links dont mention anything about paranormal phenomenons and the other one about PSI has 0% proof.

I will continue to read the Princeton links. However, they are either not going to claim anything, or claim something that they cannot back, which is how all this stuff usually works.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   

The princeton links dont mention anything about paranormal phenomenons and the other one about PSI has 0% proof.

I will continue to read the Princeton links. However, they are either not going to claim anything, or claim something that they cannot back, which is how all this stuff usually works.

The problem I see here is that, based on reading your comments, you require more proof for paranormal events than you do for actual scientific discovery.

Some of Einstein's theories have little proof. The big bang theory has little proof. String theory has NO proof. The list goes on and on.

The problem with holding paranormal events to a higher standard is that they are consequently NOT studied, and thus no proof can ever be found. It's a self defeating process.

Perhaps some information on the kinds of proof you're looking for, and what ambiguity you might be willing to accept (as you would for any scientific theory)?

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I have not been on this site that long yet but I too find many of the stories to be a bit "out there". But I also have read many that have made me stop and wonder "could that actually happen?". I think regardless of proof or not, for many of us, as long as there is information to keep challenging our little minds than that is a good thing. I for one have no problem posting in any thread that I "don't buy the story" or "hey, never thought of that before" and I am sure I will sometimes get flamed and sometimes not. But debate keeps the mind young and I am beginning to think you can teach old dogs new tricks.........I can rollover and play dead now after a week on this site!!

Just keep roaming around the site and you will learn to slowing weed through the fluff to some pretty could postings. Good luck.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AWingAndASigh
Some of Einstein's theories have little proof. The big bang theory has little proof. String theory has NO proof. The list goes on and on.

That statement above is the only reason that I have begun to look into these paranormal things. From what I have read and seen everything takes place in your brain (which is being seen in the scientific world) so I guess that these things are possiblitles but I don't know what some of these things are. Like Astral Projection and Out Of Body Expierences or I have seen them be refered to as OOBE. No one ever really talks about lighting stuff on fire or lighting coming out of their hands...probably beacuse that sort of stuff isn't possible but I am sure that some other stuff is possible.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raideur
The human brain is the only thing in this world that doesnt make logical sense.

So what about outside of this world? Does that make any logical sense to you or does it not exist because we're not able to comprehend a large portion of the cosmos?

[edit on 14-6-2005 by Linux]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Linux

The human brain is the only thing in this world that doesnt make logical sense.

So what about outside of this world? Does that make any logical sense to you or does it not exist because we're not able to comprehend the cosmos?

We are its called Math,everything we have been able to plug in to some forumla or another. That is why the human brain is not giving science such a hard time, is the human mind thats throwing science around. And yes there is a difference to me. Let me explain: Your brain is what people remove from your head....your mind is something within that lump of crap that no one can physically see.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Ha String theory is garbage on toast.

Your correct though, alot of that is totally lacking in facts, and therefore are only theories. I base my arguement on the LAWS of physics, such as conservation of energy, gravity, laws of motion, etc. Rock solid arguements you must be absolutely ignorant to reject.

I do not, and will not support a "theory" unless it is so utterly close to a Law that it is acceptable proof. These are relativity, evolution, ETC.

Beyond that, Judge everything, and unless you provide facts that cannot be argued against, as all laws are based on, you will get nothing but skepicism from me. However, Im just as skepic of "amazing science" as magic or religion, so dont feel singled out.

I would like to make any judgements based on solid evidence and Im open to correction, lest my imperfect self get ahead of me.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final
We are its called Math,everything we have been able to plug in to some forumla or another. That is why the human brain is not giving science such a hard time, is the human mind thats throwing science around. And yes there is a difference to me. Let me explain: Your brain is what people remove from your head....your mind is something within that lump of crap that no one can physically see.

Hmm last time I checked we know very little about the great beyond, unless you understand what Dark Matter is?
Don't get me wrong, we do know things about the cosmos which is why I corrected my intial post, my point was that we don't understand much.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Ha String theory is garbage on toast.

Proof? Is that your reason that its "garbage on toast"...because there is no proof for it? Or because you don't like the theory?

Don't get me wrong, we do know things about the cosmos which is why I corrected my intial post, my point was that we don't understand much.

Sorry I believe I posted before you had time to correct your intial post, but I do understand what you are trying to say. We are missing big pieces of the puzzle...but you don't need every piece of the puzzle to figure out the picture.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final
Sorry I believe I posted before you had time to correct your intial post, but I do understand what you are trying to say. We are missing big pieces of the puzzle...but you don't need every piece of the puzzle to figure out the picture.

It's all good
. My problem is that Dark Matter has shaken the foundations of the Big Bang theory. We are missing things but luckily we're smart critters and will fix that.

The author of this thread has obviously chosen a path and nothing will stray him/her from it. My problem with that is how can you learn if you don't stray from the path? Questioning the logics of things is how we've prospered since the dawn of time.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I dont like the basis of string theory, or much of quantun theory, due to its reliance on "chance" events, so I guess Im more of a classical physics man.

String theory is actually hundreds of theories, everyone seems to have a twist of it, and few have good facts to support them. I tend to agree with Einstein that Quantum theory is good and all, but it has some fundamental flaws that need to be worked out. The whole thing is just a guessing game on how to unite relativity with quantum theory, and until they know how, I wont consider any "unified field theory" true.

Much of the cosmology is guessing work based on what little solid details we can out of observations, but much of the groundwork is hard to argue with, and thus it is built on.

Thats why science is wonderful, people use simple logic to prove or disprove, and if your right, your right. True, there is bias always, but thats a flaw in humans, not science.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join