It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 4.0+ Earthquakes in Aleutians Today - A volcano ready to blow?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I see 11 4.0+ earthquakes in the Aleutian Islands today, all near the same place. It makes me wonder if an Alaskan volcano is getting ready to blow or something.

neic.usgs.gov...

I looked at the data pages for Alaska volcanos, but didn't find any updates about earthquake swarms for any of the volcanos.

Or I suppose it could be fore-shocks for something big earthquake wise coming that way ....

Anybody here an unofficial expert in Alaskan volcanos and or earthquakes?

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I am far from an expert...but i do know this. The size of the Earthquake really doesn't have much to do with a Volcanic Eruption, except there is a different type of earthquake ... called a Harmonic Tremor. This type of earthquake indicated that Lava or "magma" is moving below the surface. That is what those volcano people look for when determining the risk of a volcanic eruption...

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
RAT ISLANDS, ALEUTIAN ISLANDS
I noticed a similer cluster on June 10, and another May 29-30.
(just a filler for those that don't know the area)

Aleutian Islands , chain of rugged, volcanic islands curving c.1,200 mi (1,900 km) west from the tip of the Alaska Peninsula and approaching Russia's Komandorski Islands. A partially submerged continuation of the Aleutian Range, they separate the Bering Sea from the Pacific Ocean. The Aleutians comprise four main groups: Fox Islands, nearest to the mainland, including Unimak, Unalaska, Umnak, and Akutan; Andreanof Islands, including Amlia, Atka, Adak, Kanaga, and Tanaga; Rat Islands, including Amchitka and Kiska; and Near Islands, the smallest and westernmost group, including Agattu and Attu. The Semichi Islands, of which Shemya is the largest, are nearby.

www.infoplease.com...

But this is a very geo-active area and could mean nothing. Let's hope it's not a precurser to something bigger.

I also took a look at the southern end of Vancouver Island, and that area looks very calm for a change, with very few tremors.

www.pgc.nrcan.gc.ca...

I just wonder if that huge quake that cause the tsunami and the one that followed shortly after, hasn't put stess on other areas of the globe.

(edit to add....... The yellow dot on the map is in an area that shakes all the time. It's the most active area around Vancouver Island)

[edit on 14-6-2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
A major earthquake occurred at 02:50:56 (UTC) on Wednesday, June 15, 2005. The magnitude 7.4 event has been located OFF THE COAST OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.
Magnitude 7.4
Date-Time Wednesday, June 15, 2005 at 02:50:56 (UTC)= Coordinated Universal Time
Tuesday, June 14, 2005 at 6:50:56 PM = local time at epicenter
Location 41.288°N, 125.710°W
Depth 40 km (24.9 miles) set by location program
Region OFF THE COAST OF NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
Distances 134 km (83 miles) W (281°) from Trinidad, CA
136 km (84 miles) WSW (248°) from Crescent City, CA
137 km (85 miles) WNW (282°) from Westhaven-Moonstone, CA
472 km (293 miles) NW (311°) from Sacramento, CA

TO - TSUNAMI WARNING SYSTEM PARTICIPANTS IN ALASKA/BRITISH COLUMBIA/WASHINGTON/OREGON/CALIFORNIA
FROM - WEST COAST AND ALASKA TSUNAMI WARNING CENTER/NOAA/NWS
SUBJECT - TSUNAMI WARNING BULLETIN - INITIAL
BULLETIN NUMBER 1
ISSUED 06/15/2005 AT 0256 UTC

...A TSUNAMI WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE COASTAL AREAS
FROM THE CALIFORNIA-MEXICO BORDER TO THE NORTH TIP OF
VANCOUVER I.-BC. INCLUSIVE...

...A TSUNAMI WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE COASTAL AREAS FROM
THE NORTH TIP OF VANCOUVER I.-BC. TO SITKA-AK...

...AT THIS TIME THIS BULLETIN IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY FOR
OTHER AREAS OF ALASKA...

EVALUATION
IT IS NOT KNOWN - REPEAT NOT KNOWN - IF A TSUNAMI EXISTS BUT A
TSUNAMI MAY HAVE BEEN GENERATED. THEREFORE PERSONS IN LOW
LYING COASTAL AREAS SHOULD BE ALERT TO INSTRUCTIONS FROM THEIR
LOCAL EMERGENCY OFFICIALS. PERSONS ON THE BEACH SHOULD MOVE TO
HIGHER GROUND IF IN A WARNED AREA. TSUNAMIS MAY BE A SERIES OF
WAVES WHICH COULD BE DANGEROUS FOR SEVERAL HOURS AFTER THE
INITIAL WAVE ARRIVAL.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Any members in this area????????????

Tell us if you felt the quake or have seen any wave action.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I think it's Mt St Helen's time.. maybe a cough, maybe a burp, hopefully not a full blown regurgitation, but the EQ activity IMO is a precursor.. something will be giving soon.. out this way

new topics

top topics

join