It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Transition = Nuke Giveaway?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I was reading this article on current North Korea policy:

Bipartisan concern about North Korea policy
Senate rumblings come amid report of ailing Kim Jong Il

WASHINGTON - Bush administration efforts to achieve nuclear disarmament in North Korea are not working and should be reconsidered, Democrats and Republicans on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee said Tuesday.

Those views were aired as a senior U.S. intelligence official familiar with Korean affairs told NBC News that North Korean leader Kim Jong Il "is not in good health" and while "nothing is imminent, everyone is getting prepared."

The health issues are related to his heavy drinking "and we are talking about hard liquor and not beer," said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

If Kim chooses one of his sons to run North Korea's military, the source said, it would be a sign to "watch carefully" for a transition.

In the Senate, meanwhile, Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska said that “obviously, we’ve not seen progress here. Something is not working.”

Sen. Joseph Biden of Delaware, the ranking Democrat on the foreign relations committee, said, “The administration policy has been a failure.”

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Yet another policy failure - no surprise there. But what concerns me about a possible 'transition' in power in North Korea is what will happen to their nukes? The place is an impoverished graveyard. The next guy might see some terrorist offer of $$$ as a convenient opportunity to experience a real life for a while (until he's discovered) and trade a nuke or two for some cushy living. Could anyone trace a loose NK nuke back to it's origins? Could Kim Jong Il's successor sell nukes and get away with it?

I don't know about you, but I feel REAL 'comforted' by knowing an alcoholic has his finger on a nuclear trigger - especially when said alcoholic is also a paranoid crazy. Could a son get any worse?

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Kim's a crazed bull in a nuclear china shop so to speak..............I can't think of the next generation of leadership being any better.............and there is a good chance his son may be worse........after all, look at the role model he has......

That said.........Kim's best some of his devices to terrorists.......

He'd have a better chance to destroy a city in the US that way than trying to get the technology to shoot one over from his country on us.......

And fine mess in the World with weapons to make it worse..........

Aren't humans a great species addition to this planet??

Not only are we not able to get along with each other....and are too passionate about our political systems and religious dogma to ever hope for any kind of gobal concurrence.....

...but we also have this magificently developed brain that we are using to createp more ways that you can count on to destroy ourselves...........

Read "who speaks for Earth" the last chapter of Cosmos by Carl Sagan or read his book about the "Pale blue dot"..............

we are so petty as a species with the potential congitive ablities we have

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Correction.......

That's......." Kim's best bet would be to sell some devices to.............

sorry about the fat finger error....

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   
My concern would be what would happen if a NK Nuke got loose?

Could we detect it? Probably not.

Could we trace it back to them (and avert more)? Probably not.

Could we keep them from selling them to the highest bidder (most likely our worst enemies)? Probably not.

Could we prevent someone from detonating one pretty much where ever they wanted? Probably not.

new topics

top topics

join