It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Members located in Asia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 07:34 AM
link   
As you might have noticed i am from Hong Kong as well as Damefool, are there any others located in Asia? i hope we can meet up if you guys are out there.

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 07:43 AM
link   
hy there Drunk i from malaysia like to meet all `ATS`
member someday if gathering occur in MALAYSIA

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 07:47 AM
link   
May I ask you Drunk no offense,

How did a drunk englishman end up in China?
To much party one night?

Mark

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Well, you know dr-, that I'm up in Dalian (direct flights to HK resumed since SARS) - just find Korea, cyber-chums, and look left.
And I've always been a member of ATS ( quite a while now) from Asia (Malaysia before this job).

posted on Aug, 11 2003 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Estragon in Asia

88-92 Brunei
92-93 Singapore
93-95 UK and consultancy: schooling of Mini-Estragon
95 - 96 HK (still Her Majest'y ho ho)
96-97 Singapore
97 - 99 Thailand
99-2002 Malaysia
2002- present China

and that's 13 years (aaarrrrggghhh)

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Sometimes.

More often Tokyo, Kyoto.

Last in Honkers, China (south) 2001-2002.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Are things cheap in Malaysia i.e booze?!!

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 02:08 AM
link   
drunk

Don't forget Malaysia has a strong Muslim component, so cheap liquor is not a social priority...

I find KL Airport cheaper than HK.

HK drink prices are plain silly. Are they higher during the Sevens, and other times, or just silly all year round?

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Good point about the booze, dunno about price outside the stadium during the sSevens but inside they are bloody expensive, last time i went to the Sevens was
10 years ago!

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Malaysian booze: all depends on what and where of course: in a decent restaurant/bar you'll get a big Tiger for around nine ringgit ( one pund fifty) -it's about UK prices (but that's dear given Malaysian wages).
It gets dearer in clubs; but the happy hour is very well established.
However, there's ample legal, safe, local firewater (catering largely for the Indians): some of it very good e.g. a fairly decent full-strength gin at just over 3 pounds a botle and Thai Mekhong flows south at about the same price.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 03:09 AM
link   
And HK used to be brilliant in British times (drinking withe soldiers and the Gurkhas): but it's pretty dear now: only way to get stratospheric cheaply is on the Chinese "vodka" -for want of a better word - the bai jiu (white spirit): I quite like it and it mixes well. But it is strong.
But beer's a dead loss in HK - it's usually something dull and international like Heineken, anyway.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
As you might have noticed i am from Hong Kong as well as Damefool, are there any others located in Asia? i hope we can meet up if you guys are out there.

What a splendid idea bloke!!....

I wouldn't mind traveling to Malaysia or Singapore...keke

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Estragon
Estragon in Asia

88-92 Brunei
92-93 Singapore
93-95 UK and consultancy: schooling of Mini-Estragon
95 - 96 HK (still Her Majest'y ho ho)
96-97 Singapore
97 - 99 Thailand
99-2002 Malaysia
2002- present China

and that's 13 years (aaarrrrggghhh)

I must say it pretty impressive...

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Sometimes.

More often Tokyo, Kyoto.

Last in Honkers, China (south) 2001-2002.

I was also in Japan, Tokyo. I believe its 87-88. Stayed for a year to learn the language.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Thank you, dame-f: but I hjave to admit it's actually more laborious moving one's job from say, Manchester to Southampton, or Austin to Phoenix than it is moving to another country: no selling, no buying, little to pack -get the contract, get the visa, grab a plane.

posted on Aug, 12 2003 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Thank you, dame-f: but I hjave to admit it's actually more laborious moving one's job from say, Manchester to Southampton, or Austin to Phoenix than it is moving to another country: no selling, no buying, little to pack -get the contract, get the visa, grab a plane.

OMG...I'm wondering just what kind of work you do?

BTW Drunk was originally from S. Hampton.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by damefool

OMG...I'm wondering just what kind of work you do?

BTW Drunk was originally from S. Hampton.

Err no dude i am from Portsmouth! but close enough.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 05:56 AM
link   
dame-f, I picked the two English cities just as examples of North and South to make the point that simple moves at home can often be more daunting- let alone more difficult -than what appear to be devil-may-care moves of thousands of miles overseas. That's why they're always screaming about "mobility of labour".
I'm in education, and briefly my work is preparing Asian students (in whatever country) for undergraduate or post-graduate studies overseas: most often UK; quite often Canada and OZ: increasingly NZ ( easier visas and good value) and in thw past USA -very difficult to get visas now.
In my sort of job: accommodation, furnishing, car (if needed) are provided (quality depending on level of post) and we get what we call "heavy baggage":free freight home of a given weight of stuff (so, if I buy a very nice Burmese chest or a Chinese screen, I ship it off at the end to Chateau Estragon in Worcestershire.
Basically, you buy odds and ends and give 'em away at the end (I travel with a toothbrush, a corkscrew, a decent set of English cutlery and a very expensive World Service radio): that's it!

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I hope we can all have meeting just like aour European and American comrades have done, dont want to set a date just yet cos we might not all be available.

Estragon i wont be going to China now, anyway if you are in H.K let either myself or Damefool know.

posted on Aug, 14 2003 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Estragon. Thanks for the details...
Indeed your perks does seems to be quite interesting.
I'm sure a car would come in quite handy.

BTW I'm with the "Big Blue"...

Drunk.. Oops!! I think it was Celia who told me that you were from S. Hampton....

[Edited on 14-8-2003 by damefool]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join