It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Long Hair and Nose Jobs for Young Iranians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
There is a sense of social reform sweeping the Young Iranian culture these days. Once required to completely cover their faces, young women are revealing more and more. Young men are growing their hair out without fear of the "religious vigilantes" publicly chopping it off as an example of anti western influence. The traditional headscarves are being reduced to a minimal head covering. Even the noses of the young Iranians are getting surgically altered.

www.reuters.com
TEHRAN (Reuters) - Surgically designed noses are a "must have" and the religious headscarf has been reduced to the flimsiest of coverings, barely hiding the highlighted hair of the young women in the Iranian capital's trendy coffee shops.

Young men in the Islamic Republic can wear their hair long with little fear that the Basij religious vigilantes will barge in and forcibly hack off this symbol of "Western" fashion.

But some of Iran's well-heeled young fear such modest freedoms may be dulling opposition among their peers to the Islamic Republic's system and taking their mind off demands for deeper political reforms.

Some fear a clampdown after Friday's presidential elections.

"The youth was pushing for freedoms, but the kind of freedoms they (the authorities) gave are not real freedom ... The youth doesn't realize this is happening," said 26-year-old Azadeh, who like many of her friends has had her nose reshaped.

"The face is the only thing Iranian girls can show," she explained as she sat with her boyfriend in a dark corner of a cafe, a liaison that would have been stopped a few years ago.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Since President Mohammad Khatami came to power eight years ago, the young Iranian culture has enjoyed a severely less oppressed way of life, and according to a young woman named Pegah, they are not looking forward to letting that go with the current elections.

"I didn't plan to cast a vote, but then I realize that someone like Qalibaf could become president, and things will get even worse," said 25-year-old Pegah. "I don't want clerics ruling the country. They should be preaching in the mosques."

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Excellent........I am not a fan of the archaic social structures purveyant in the middle east and though I am a fan of diverse expression, the key term is 'expression.' Deciding that a female has to live her entire public life completely covered is deplorable. I hope to see this trend continue with an ever-increasing pace..........

Religious Rule Needs To End!!!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Ahhh...
so now these young terrorist wannabees will look more american and blend in better...

I AM KIDDING... no flame no flame...

Iran is becoming a very good standard for islamic countries to follow... the only thing that might be bad is the typical backlash from new freedoms brought on by the conservative religious groups...

wow... much like america is experiencing... wow

I hope the religious nutsos fail on both counts...

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   
We won't stand for this. Will someone please knock these people back into the 7th century with the rest of the Islamic world? How dare these women show their faces in public. Women shouldn't be allowed to drive cars, show their face in public, hold normal jobs, or eat in the same part of a café or restaurant as men do. What's next? Women wanting to vote? Women demanding to be treated as equals? No way! Get back in the house and blend in with the other 3 wives I have. Good grief!

*Disclaimer some sarcasm was found in this post*

[edit on 15-6-2005 by dbates]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This new Iranian trend is an effort to offset the 'long noses and hair jobs' that marked their first few millenia.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Sadly, if it's nose jobs and the kids in colleges, it's only the upper crust, the wealthiest and most priviledged families who are getting these benefits of expression.

In the less well-lit by western Media areas, I fear the repression continues just as strong.

[edit on 15-6-2005 by Phugedaboudet]

top topics

join