It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 4 Yr. Old Dies at Disney's EPCOT Center

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
i of course feel terrible at the loss this family is now experiencing, but my question is: how long was the boy unconcious? and as soon as the boy started to experience this, was the mother even aware? did she attempt to stop the ride? or was all her attention on the ride? i have been on every ride at disneyworld and disneyland worth riding and i've never felt they were to intense for the average person. i agree with most of the postings that the child perhaps had a health issue no one was aware of. again as a mother of 3 daughters and i have 2 grandchildren i dont even want to imagine the sorrow they now have. but i also agree disneyworld should not be held accountable it is the PARENTS responsibility to actually be a parent.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The kid must have had a pre existing condition. The parents should have known about the kids health before the ride IF it was possible for them to know based on medical advice. If a question existed about the kids health, then the parents should not of allowed the kid on the ride IF they knew about it. There are alot of factors involved; MONEY, availability of proper care, so forth...

Disney rides are weak. They dont compare to the really cool roller coasters out there. They dont compare to most true thrill rides.

According to some here we should ban all thrill rides now. I dont think so.

The kids dead. Blame the parents: Or maybe the parents were in the dark because of a quack doctor. Maybe they just didn't believe in doctors; or just didn't care. Maybe they were great parents and the kid died from a sudden complication do to an unexplainable condition.

DONT BLAME THE RIDE! It is a weak ride as far as thrills to begin with. It is a ride you would feel OK with riding with your Great Grand Dad.

In other words there is no conspiracy here as I see it.

Opinions are just that. I just dont think anything is fishy here. Too many other cool rides NOT killing people.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Sad story and prayers to the family. Parents need to step up to the bat and quit expecting companies, schools etc to exercise parental duties. I do not see how Disney can be responsible for bad parenting. Sorry, but I am a bit tired of parents blaming everyone but themselves when things happen or go wrong with their children. If you want to put the blame on a company than perhaps Disney should just shut there doors unless you are 18 then you can come play. If we keep suing companies for things they are truely not responsible for they will be left with no choice but to have more and more restrictions then you will have another group complain about that. Bottom line, take some responsiblity in your life and in your childs life. Ok, rant over.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Cause Or Effect?

As far as I know, the cause of death has not been determined.

In my opinion, it would be wise to know that before making assumptions.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
True Majic, a lot of rides have disclaimers for people with health conditions. If this kid had a pre-existing health condition, then the ride could not be put solely as fault.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
If the ride was at fault then many more people would have died before now. How many people have actually ridden it, hundreds of thousands, millions ? If memory serves it takes 4 groups of 4 and the ride is quite short, about 2 minutes so let's assume a turnaround of 5 minutes. A quick calculation means we have a sample size of around 2000 per day. So easily a quarter of a million a year if not half a million. Far far more people die travelling to the ride in their car than on the ride itself........

If he's the first out of millions then he probably had a medical condition that was previously undetected. It could have happened in a high speed lift it just happened to be a theme park ride. Unfortunately for Disney the "wrap them up in cotton wool" folks will want to ban the ride but not the cars !

FYI, my kids loved it (youngest was 6 at the time) but we all thought it was too short, so we went on it twice.

XL5

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Some rides can be blamed, along with the parks. In this case, nope, not at all. If a ride is at fault, it will most probably happen in the first 5 years even with daily maintenance.

A ride/park that can be blamed for injurys is Paramounts Canada's wonderland (Ontario). It got a new kiddie ride a year or two ago, and a part of it busted off and rolled around. It was the Jimmy neutron ride, it was a circular horizontal tube with the motor in the center and there were 4-5 tubes coming straight down off this circular tube and sphere like pods attached to these tubes. These tubes and pods were not supported to withstand centrifugal and acceleration/braking forces and the pod carrying 1 man and 3 children broke off.

Its easy to see the poor engineering that went into that ride.

www.rideaccidents.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Quote from the news last night stated over 8.6 million people has ridden this ride. It seems to me the child must of had some undiscovered medical problem. While it's very tragic, I can''t really blame either Disney nor the ride. It's just a tragic occurance.

More than 8.6 million visitors have gone on “Mission: Space” since 2003, Polak said.

Link

Probably should put a height/age requirement on some rides.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
2g's?!?!?! that's all it took to kill this kid?!?!?! this certainly can't be disney's fault, the kid must of been too much of a wimp to handle it. parents should know better.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Once again, Disney kills..... I mean, they have not gone 3 years without killing someone. NEVER!!!!! You go back 20 years, they have never gone more then 3 years without killing someone!!!!!

Also, love Disney, Epcot was so cool, went to Japan and Norway, that is a cool little boat ride, better then the Mexico one.

Also, Cedar Point, the home of the Most Coasters, The Tallest, Fastest, Steepest, and most types of roller coasters, the Park with the Record for !!!MOST RECORDS!!! Has 0 deaths. That's right, they have had the Tallest, Fastest, steepest, 4 times now, and are already planning on more. The only thing they are 2nd in is largest indoor coaster, held by Disney with Space Mountain.

So, on rides far more intense, and fun, no one has died at Cedar Point. But Mission Space? Went on it during a band trip where we played at the Make a Wish Come True Parade for the Make a Wish Foundation, me and 2 friends from percussion(Go percussion, we don't blow, get it, all the other instruments you have to blow air to play, but not us percussion!) went on it until the last person left to not puke, I win, I win, who's you daddy.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This is so sad; I couldn't imagine being the parents, or the poor kid.

I went on this ride about a year ago or something, and you definiteley get the warnings as you walk through... you get ehough warnings that you start to wonder if you have some sort of condition that you don't know about; that was the scariest part of the ride for me - waiting to find out if I had problems I didn't know about until 2G's showed me.

I'm thinking that the kid was pretty tall for his age, but maybe his heart wasn't big enough yet... I don't know.

I just can't imagine... that poor kid, dying like that; ugh, what grief. Well, hopefully he's in a better place.

[edit on 6/15/05 by Bly Magister]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
More than likely, Disney is not liable here.

They have height and weight requirements on many rides for a very simple reason. Someone 36" tall weighing 60 pounds will probably not be held in by the restraining devices on a roller coaster. So that is usually the reasoning behind those requirements.

As for other warnings, I have not been on this particular ride because my last time at Disney was 8/2001. But I distinctly remember other rides and their assorted warnings. Do not go on this ride if you have heart trouble, a bad back, vertigo, blah blah blah. They're all over the place.

It is not Disney's responsibility to card people on each line. If the person meets the physical requirements and the warnings are posted, they have done their duty.

8.6 million people went on this ride, including many young riders. This is a true tragedy, but those of you who are saying Disney is liable here are insisting that Disney provide a full detailed physical examination to each patron prior to letting them on a ride. That is obviously not realistic.

Things will fall where they should, and this will be recognized as a tragedy that should make parents more aware of their children's health. Not put the responsibility on other people to do that.

CTO

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The possibility also exists that the child had a congenital defect that the parents weren't aware of...

Certainly, the blame doesn't belong with Disney but it's a tad premature to blame the parents...

I find it difficult to believe that the child could g-loc (g induced loss of consciousness) at two Gs... I guess if the kid had extraordinarily low blood pressure it could happen but I've never heard of it...

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by CTO
I find it difficult to believe that the child could g-loc (g induced loss of consciousness) at two Gs... I guess if the kid had extraordinarily low blood pressure it could happen but I've never heard of it...

Well that's one of the main issues here I think. This is such a fluke, with literally millions-to-one odds. Obviously I don't mean to point the finger at the parents because you're right, chances are overwhelming that they had no idea there was such a problem, and if they knew I'm sure they wouldn't have taken him on the ride. But the people that are blaming Disney are just wrong. Think about Six Flags. The one I've gone to before (south jersey) has a new ride that's insanely fast. Do they have to give a physical before allowing people on it? There's a distinction. Obviously you can't have rides that decapitate people, but I think the amusement park industry overall has been quite responsible over the years.

CTO

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Exactly... I'm sure that there was considerable research done prior to establishing a minimum requirement to ride this attraction...

Every amusement park that I've ever visited has similar disclaimers about physical problems and not riding a given attraction... These parks are big business and, without doubt, have had the advice of some pretty high powered attorneys prior to allowing the public on the rides...

Nope, although Disney may have a checkered past I can't see where they would be liable in this instance...

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
in my opinion....

When I got off I went right back on as a single passenger. The motion begins slowly and ends slowly, no abrupt stop start. The centrifuge motion is smooth. I am not a thrill ride person, no rollercoaster freak, ride enthusiast...

I normally stay away from these except for my last trip to Florida when I decided to reduce my fears by going on mission space, rocking roller coaster, tower of terror, the mummy, dueling dragons roller coaster, the hulk roller coaster and a host of simulated attractions.--I felt the rollercoasters were much more intense and filled with little happy kids.-- I on the other hand feared for my life.

I found mission space to be almost hypnotic, the profound visuals throw off you balance, and awareness of spacial relations....The rotation gives the G force, but you visuals dont match. The visual perspective is from you being slingshot around the earth, the earth behind you, then ride thru space, a cosmic canyon, and a just barely making touch down. In a nutshell, you dont know your butt from your bellybutton when you walk off the thing, but it goes away.

In Disney (or universal studios) for some reason, at many attraction, " something goes terribly awry", this is part of the "attraction".

The safari in Animal Kingdom-- has a run-in with poachers

Tower of terror--well we know what happenes here, I suggest the stairs

Mission Space-- You just barely make the landing. Each person has a "challenge" to fulfill during the mission that is detrimental for a successful mission.

I think the stress of this aspect is hard on a small child. Do they understand that it is a simulation? I never got it as a kid so I hated the Hershey park chocolate factory ride. I thought I would really be melted like a candy in the oven and I tried to get out.

This is the warning for mission space ride

"Warning! For safety, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not ride.

May cause motion sickness. Please see Cast Member at the attraction for further cautionary information."

The simulators in universal studios are much more dramatic in the way of "something is going terribly wrong"...But most kids dont seem to scared by it. I think Earthquake would have scared the daylights out of me as a kid.

Kris

<< 1   >>

join