It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPods

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Greetings all with iPods or curious members that stumbled across this thread. I am sorry if this post does not belong here. I have recently purchased an iPod shuffle. I have found a way to save documents to my iPod (well, technically, I didn't come up with the idea, it was in the manual). I have found a way to exploit this. If someone were to have important documents *hint hint* on their computer, to risk the chance of the feds hacking in and deleting it, you can upload it into your iPod (any iPod, not just the iPod shuffle) and , because there is not an internet connection to your iPod, no hacking could occur. Then , hook it up to a laptop and print it, or send it to the widespread media. IF there is any suspicion, you can set aside memory for music so it will play if someone presses play to see if there is anything on your iPod, as no one carries an iPod around if its empty.

iTunes needs to be open.

Here are the steps. (to enable iPod to accept files)

Connect iPod to Computer.

In iTunes, select iPod in the Source list and click the Options button (in the button group near the bottom of the window, the one that looks like an iPod)

Select "enable disk use."

If you want to reserve a certain amount of space for file storage, use the Storage Allocation Slider.

Open 'My Documents'.

Choose the file you want to upload and right click.

Choose 'send to' and send it to the E: drive.

Eject the iPod in the iTunes window.

Go about your business.

[edit on 6/13/2005 by TheRanchMan]

[edit on 6/13/2005 by TheRanchMan]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
wow...i cant believe I even read that, I would like the 45 seconds of my life back please.

You dont know much about electronics...it shows.

Any mp3 player can have data on it...whether that be a document, songs, video clips, what ever.

From what I gathered from that rather odd read, was that your giving people away to store a document on a portable device, so that way the paranoid people who think that there government has nothing better to do but look at petty info on you computer, can now sleep peacfully at night by having that info on there ipod. Ever heard on a floppy??? It does the same, or cd-r or dvd-r, I mean come on...Storing info on something portable has being around for decades.

and i'm clueless as to why you though this belonged in the "Government Projects" thread.

and on a side note: Ipod shuffles are one of the worst mp3 players around.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Yeah, what the heck?
You can do this with any USB stick, mp3 player, iPod, Creative Zen, anything.

FBI or police still check it though if they feel the need to.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Sarchasm is detrimental to the gathering of knowledge so I must refrain from commenting on the original post.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Wow, take it easy on the poor guy! He was obviously just trying to share what he thought to be a good idea with you people and you all just jump on his back. Instead of taking the piss maybe try and be encouraging and explain the problems with this method and offer different ideas?

Ranchman, although well disguised as insults what the other posters say is true, it really isn't much of a good idea storing "sensitive" files on your ipod. An ipod is simply another form of removable storage (albeit quite expensive
) and if the Feds manage to get access to your computer, if your ipod is connected they can just as easily access this as if a CD was in the drive or a USB stick was connected. The only advantage your strategy offers is that if you have the the Ipod disconnected and the feds raid your house they may not think of looking on the Ipod, but thats not really realistic because they confiscate all electronic devices like this and no doubt your ipod will be analysed too. If your strategy is simply putting a file on something then disconnecting it then you might as well just do this with a usb key

A better idea is to use some sort of encryption (although depending on who you ask the government can crack this also). I recommend getting a program such as disk crypt or PGP and you can encrypt an entire usb key, then store any sensitive information on that. It is even possible to run an entire operating system off a usb encrypted drive.

But yeah, rather than using an ipod for security, I would invest in a good firewall program,IDS and encryption tool

[edit on 14/6/05 by slick]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Ranchman,

ignore the insults of the cynics. I know you're only tryin to give us all some good info and a good tip!! and i apprecitate the time you took to do so
I like usin my mp3 player to store stuff to take to mates houses and to uni, its an extremely versatile mahcine.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I apologise for my last post, I don't know why I blurted it out.
:shk:

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

And this is relevant why?

From what I gathered from that rather odd read, was that your giving people away to store a document on a portable device, so that way the paranoid people who think that there government has nothing better to do but look at petty info on you computer, can now sleep peacfully at night by having that info on there ipod. Ever heard on a floppy??? It does the same, or cd-r or dvd-r, I mean come on...Storing info on something portable has being around for decades. and i'm clueless as to why you though this belonged in the "Government Projects" thread.

Listen, I understand this was a stupid post, but you did NOT need to be as insanely rude as you were. This has provoked me to complain about you to the mods. And, about the "and i'm clueless as to why you though this belonged in the "Government Projects" thread" statement, haven't you ever made a mistake? I guess not, since you have the stones to criticise my posts without considering that we are all human beings that make mistakes, and you wouldn't want someone jumping all over your back if you made a mistake like mine. I know what you may be thinking, "I'm not stupid to make a mistake like that. The only reason I made this post was to present an idea that I thought was good. You dissagreed. Lets say you had an idea that you deemed as a good idea, but others deemed it a bad one. Would you want them to respond with sarcastic remarks and saying things that made you feel stupid like you did to me?! If you have a job, would you like your boss to make you feel like a fool every time you made a mistake or presented him with an idea that he deemed unfit? I am sick and tired of all the inconsiderate, rude and sarcastic people who think that they can insult and downtalk all the people that make mistakes because they feel all high-and-mighty.

and on a side note: Ipod shuffles are one of the worst mp3 players around.

That is your opinion. I happen to dislike the iPod shuffle and the only reason i have it is because my parents got it for me for graduating middle school.

and on a side note: You just made a 14 year old kid feel like dirt. Feel like a big person now? And, I have realized that you have a series of rude posts. Remember the post about the fake SR-71? I responded to it after they figured out what it was, you said, and very rudely I may add, "why did you even bother posting a response, we already solved it" or something to that effect. So, just because it was already solved means that we can't respond? You have some serious attitude adjustments needed. And by the way, try spell check sometime. So, thanks for grinding me into the ground, you'll hear from an admin soon.

[edit on 6/15/2005 by TheRanchMan]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
Sarchasm is detrimental to the gathering of knowledge so I must refrain from commenting on the original post.

Ha ha ha. Instead of saying something nice, or not even saying something at all, you'd rather think to try to be funny and make a kid feel even worse after reading other rude posts by other rude people. Real respectable, jerk.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I would also like to say thank you to the people who said something nice. And Nvenntual, its no big deal, your post was not as nearly as rude as lockheed and Murcielago's posts.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   

TheRanchMan
I would also like to say thank you to the people who said something nice.

Did you post that on this site for:
A: facts and info and the truth
or
B: A friendly pat on the back, and a "well done"

???

I speak whats on my mind, plus I didn't know you were 14...they need an age limit on these forums...like 16 or so.

Your first post said that you found it in the manual...so what made you think that this is some hidden secret?.

And Last of all: NOBODY should take any offense in my posts, Unless I actually call someone an idiot or something. Thats the thing about text...you cant hear the tone of voice that someone is impling in there post, and people often mis-interpret me as being rude...when all i'm doing is saying what I think.

TheRanchMan
And, I have realized that you have a series of rude posts.

i dont think so...

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
please drop the insults on this thread, this is not the place for such a mannor...........

Asala

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago
wow...i cant believe I even read that, I would like the 45 seconds of my life back please.

Jesus man, what the heck? The guy thought he found out something that a lot of other people didn't know about and wanted to share it. Whats the problem here? Hell, a lot of people probably don't know that mp3 players and ipods can carry other types of information. Ranchy here isn't stupid, I've seen his posts, he's just apparently not as 'hip' as those dancing shadow people in the ipod commercials, or Bono. Big Whoop.

Did you post that on this site for:
A: facts and info and the truth
or
B: A friendly pat on the back, and a "well done"

wtf are you posting here for? To lord your vast techonological knowledge on computer toys over people?

didn't know you were 14...they need an age limit on these forums...like 16 or so.

We most certainly do not, if anything, this demonstrates it. Ranchy here didn't know what the deal was with ipods and the like. He thought he had some good information and wanted to share it. Good for him. How old are you, that you'd come in and just smack someone who's only trying to help? And then try to make it out like he's a douche for saying 'thanks' to the people who didn't stupidly insult him?

People, not just you M, what good does it do to slam people who are providing information that you already know about? None. It only makes people decide not to post helpful information, and this info was helpful, for anyone that wasn't all that familiar with the subject.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Thank you Nygdan, at least someone else here sees the rudeness in his posts. M, of course you won't see that your posts are rude, but tell, me, and I think Nygdan can back me up, if I
were to respond to your posts the way you responded to this one, you would feel like an idiot, the same way I felt when i read your post. You're lucky you aren't geting punished for this.

top topics

join