It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would they keep UFO's from the public?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Okay, so one reason would be to keep mass panic from ensuing. Thats not a very good reason IMO, people would probly just but a bunch of guns and bunker down maby some looting, nothing you can't fix.

Anyways, looking forward to all of yall's replys.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat
Okay, so one reason would be to keep mass panic from ensuing. Thats not a very good reason IMO, people would probly just but a bunch of guns and bunker down maby some looting, nothing you can't fix.

Anyways, looking forward to all of yall's replys.

Mass chaos, panic, suicides, society feeling as if everything that comes from the government is bull crap (which it usually is :@@
, a treaty between US and E.T.'s will be broken (if there is an alliance), what else...world war 3 perhaps? Another depression? Hmn, what else...Oh yea, death, lots of that yea. And guns would sure help against UFO's alright, you are watching way too many movies like "Signs."

Reanacment of what to do during an alien invasion due to the release in UFO studies by US:

"Hey billy, how 'bout we go down to that there bunker we bought with our imaginary money and shoot up some UFO's that are made of solid steel or most likely even materials near or surpassed the strength of diamond?"

"Sounds good bob, I'll take nancy and the kid with us so we can try to permeate their thick armored UFO's which are moving too fast for our eyes to even follow?"

"Billy, your crazy we're not using shotguns we're using a large nuclear silo to launch bomb and fixiings' at them there Alien-ism-thingies. Even though that is relativiely useless since we would die due to the blast and raidiation caused by the aftermath"

"Bob, just shut up and get some guns and lets loot stores and realize no aliens are even comming and then go into a large depression due to the loss of merchandise and food looted from stores all over america"

sir, you must be insane if you believe revealing to the public UFO information is a good idea.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Mass hysteria.
Not to mention the racism and discrimination that still goes on in this world.
If the people of Earth can't even accept different religious views, different skin tones, and different forms of government, why would the government allow Intelligent Extraterrestrials to be exposed to the public?
There would probably be rebel groups trying to get rid of the "invaders from outerspace."

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The reason they say the release of "some" UFO information would be a threat to national security is because if they came out and disclosed the truth about UFOs and ETs people might go crazy, chaos, disorder, ect. So they think "that might be" a threat to national security. Understand what I'm trying to say? I'm a firm believer of this. That's why they don't talk about the subject and act like they know nothing.

[edit on 13-6-2005 by meshuggah1324]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
you hit the nail on the head.

Mass hystaria and chaos is definatly a good reason to keep some thing under wraps til there is enough tolerance

-Aza

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity, how will we ever tolerate them if no one believes they exist?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Its a one-word reason: control.

Extraterrestrial visitation, if fully understood by the human population, would essentially end most if not all earthly institutions that govern our lives. Organized religions would be the ones to most famously go the way of the dinosaur. Earthly governments that have put themselves in the position that they are necessary for us to live properly would be compromised if its found out that beings that are far more advanced than us live under different or no government at all. Would humans want to continue to live as they do if they found out others have lives in which its possible to traverse the stars?

If humans continue to think the way they currently do, that they want to live to the heights of those who they deem living superior lifestyles, then a switch-over to a more ET way of life would certainly be considered by the majority of those alive today. All those who control our lives on this planet fear losing their control and will do what they can to avoid that.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
There are a million reasons to keep the secret, and only a few to let it out.

Until those few outweigh the million, or until those keeping the secret (whether the govt. or the aliens themselves) decide to come out...we will never know.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
One good reason would be the mass hysteria as has been noted.
Remember what happened when The did the radio play "War of the Worlds".
Thousands of people actually believed that we were being invaded, there were some suicides, looting, accidental deaths and a general head for the hills mentality. So there si historical facts to back any goverment to hesitate in releasing actual proof of alien / UFO existence.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Interesting points all. However I still find the best reason replied was because then thke government could keep control of us.

I suppose I kinda get the mass hysteria thing, but it still seems... silly. I really don't have any reason to debunk it, but just the idea of it doesn't make sense in my mind.

Maby I've been reading these forums too much and are like "Oh aliens, cool, blah blah blah" and I've gotten disconnected with the mind of your average american.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Maybe, but my post I'd like to apologize for. It was a little too hastey. But I think most of the Americans would never believe there are aliens, just like how no one believes what's going on in Iraq right now. People shut out what they dont want to hear subconsiuosly and list the positives of a terrible thing such as UFOs or war, etc.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Would it be because it would be a risk to society because they barely know anything about them? Or that they fear that we will over react and believe that "the war of the worlds" will come true. Or will the government not be trusted as much because they have kept it a secret for so long?

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The answer to this question depends heavily on who 'they' are.

We can reasonably assert, based upon the testimony of Dr. Greer's group and others, that 'they' is not comprised of the government as a whole although some small number of government officials are aware of the UFO/ET reality in some part.

The recent 'doctoring' of reports on global warming is a good example of the attitude of those in control that laypeople deserve to be kept 'in the dark' for 'their own good' ( or a more likely scenario - the laypeople need to be kept in the dark for the good of the economy read : their bank
accounts.)

It all boils down to control (as others have pointed out in their posts).

Control over the advanced technologies that these phenomenon represent.

A source of freely available EM (or other) energy must scare the heck out of those who would lose out in the face of such technology becoming commonplace.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It is all about the tech. If they were concerned about mass hysteria, they should stop putting out movies where the aliens "invade" and show some more benelovent aleins. If the tech. that the aliens have was released to the world, there would be no need for governments, or money (the things that rule the world) because all our needs could be met. That is if all this ZPE (zero point energy) stuff is real. Imagine if all the energy you needed was free, energy is money, so there is no need for money. Imagine if anyone in the world could get in there hovercar or whatever and fly to work in China from New York, how could the governments cope with that?

Basicially, it is hard to control people when you remove the biggest controls.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by cownosecat
Interesting points all. However I still find the best reason replied was because then thke government could keep control of us.

I suppose I kinda get the mass hysteria thing, but it still seems... silly. I really don't have any reason to debunk it, but just the idea of it doesn't make sense in my mind.

Maby I've been reading these forums too much and are like "Oh aliens, cool, blah blah blah" and I've gotten disconnected with the mind of your average american.

I'm curious as your thoughts on this. I agree with you, since being here on ATS and living with the notion that they MAY exist, I too have become dissensitized to it all. However I ask you to make a best "questimation" in this circumstance.

Let's take an average family of 5 say in oh..... Kansas. A somewhat religious family who goes to church on Sundays, but still holds some liberal views on certain issues. The family are NOT "hicks" but not acedemic either. Average income, say $40k.

What do you think the imapct of alien existence would have on this family?

Peace

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
yup, mass hysteria, serve cultral shock, nervous breakdown & death by thinking

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Hmmm... Kansas... well, I've been reading some about mass hysteria, and it seems to me that it's mostly caused by word of mouth. Infact one website I read said that a strong authority figure was needed to prevent mass hysteria. So if the President of the US (I'm sure we've all thought of this at one time or another) stated on national telivision that there are in fact extraterrestials, then a signifigant number of people would not become extreamly emotional.

However, a small number of people would react in an extream manner to this news, and even more people would not even belive the president that UFO's are really aliens.

Our family, I predict, would be shocked and amazed that Aliens are out there and real, but they wouldn't go out and start looting.

Of course this is only talk and we won't really know untill it happens! Man, it's tough predicting peoples motivations and actions.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I agree. Why keep aliens away from the public? So the public can all die while the gov't goes to Mars or something?

[edit on 15-6-2005 by spidy]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by spidy
I agree. Why keep aliens away from the public? So the public can all die while the gov't goes to Mars or something?

[edit on 15-6-2005 by spidy]

Simple. So no one commits suicide. Aliens aren't really here to kill us....yet! I think they are just researching us and the earth.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I don't buy the mass hysteria. Think - would YOU be hysterical? Then why do you think most everyone else would be? I can think of some other reasons for secrecy (all speculative, since of course we really don't know):

1. Loss of authority/control by governments who would be revealed as NOT being the most powerful entities around.

2. A deal has already been cut. Confidentiality was part of the bargain.

3. Loss of morale and economic damage as people's fears overtake their daily routine, they down tools, or "go through the motions".

4. Government's wouldn't be able to answer the questions; to give assurances of safety; instill public confidence.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join