It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

you know you don't live in a great country when there are talks of a draft...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   
here me out...

i think this because, if we (the USA) need a draft, then this means that nobody wants to fight for their country, so they force people to fight...

it makes sense...

if america is so great, then why isn't there millions in the armed forces fighting for this great land???

why do we need a draft if people love this land???

answer: we don't...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
BTS.....

People dont want die for the wrong war.

They see it for what it is.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
People dont want die for the wrong war.

They see it for what it is.

true...

i'll give you that...

[edit on 13-6-2005 by they see ALL]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
and as I Canadian I willbe the first to stand up and say that America IS a great country. But like all countries they are going through a ruff patch at the moment. As someone else said, Western Europe, Canada, US, Astralia, etc, etc are all allies. We are friends and family and we share much more than we disagree on. This period in history is trying, but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water just yet. America is still the home of the free and land of the brave. They just need to get over these growing pains.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Passer By
and as I Canadian I willbe the first to stand up and say that America IS a great country. But like all countries they are going through a ruff patch at the moment. As someone else said, Western Europe, Canada, US, Astralia, etc, etc are all allies. We are friends and family and we share much more than we disagree on. This period in history is trying, but lets not throw the baby out with the bath water just yet. America is still the home of the free and land of the brave. They just need to get over these growing pains.

many countries have the same (and more) rights as america...

and their citizens are "brave" too...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

There are no realistic talks about a draft.

i think this because, if we (the USA) need a draft, then this means that nobody wants to fight for their country, so they force people to fight...

it makes sense...

if america is so great, then why isn't there millions in the armed forces fighting for this great land???

answer: we don't...

You're kidding right?
The correct answer is YOU don't.

First, we don't need a draft.
Second, the vast majority of the people who live here love this land. There are millions of people who flock here every year to live. Why is that? People don't always agree with the politics of this nation, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to just up and move to another country.
Why aren't millions fighting for this country?
Because we're not in danger. There's no hostile enemy at our doorsteps, so why should millions of people join the army? It'd be a waste of time. Also, can't you ask the same about every other country that doesn't have mandatory military service? Why did you single out America?

If we were in immediate danger of being invaded, I can guarentee you that millions would be fighting for this country.

(Horrible thread.)

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   

You're right people dont love their land. They love their "stuff". Ask any 18-25 year old "what's important to you?" I promise you, "my country" will not be on the list.

Peace

[edit on 13-6-2005 by Serum39]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Yes, and?

Is there some law that you can't have two, or three, or god forbid most coutnries being great places?

IMO Canada is a great country. It is different than the US, but the US iis also a great country - they just do things differently. Not better or worse, just different. Same goes for the UK, most of what I understand for Astralia and NZ, and probably countless others. The greatness of one, doesn't take away from the greatness of another IMO.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Does that mean that the USA is not a great country???
Maybe the Government isnt the most popular right now....
but to say country is not great is crazyness.

From what I read...you're basing the greatness of America on a draft.

If we have a draft, we're not great
If we don't...then we are....

What is you definition of a great country? Give some examples, please.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

First, we don't need a draft.

Why not?

Second, the vast majority of the people who live here love this land.

Love this country?, I dunno if most peolple even think about it in those patriotic terms. I'd say most people take this country for granted.

There are millions of people who flock here every year to live. Why is that?

I can answer this many different ways, but the bottomline- we are the lesser of the many evils (so it appears to them). Besides, we put alot of time and $$$ into the PR MACHINE: "America, the Land of Opportunity".... yea, tell that to the millions that make up the "lower-income" families. We can't even take care of our own...

People don't always agree with the politics of this nation, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone willing to just up and move to another country.

Agreed. It's called complacency.

Because we're not in danger. There's no hostile enemy at our doorsteps, so why should millions of people join the army? It'd be a waste of time. Also, can't you ask the same about every other country that doesn't have mandatory military service? Why did you single out America?

You got me. I'm speechless...

If we were in immediate danger of being invaded, I can guarentee you that millions would be fighting for this country.

Yea, not because they love our country, but because their "stuff" might be comprimised.

Peace

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
Because we're not in danger. There's no hostile enemy at our doorsteps, so why should millions of people join the army? It'd be a waste of time.

I completely agree. I know many people--myself most definitely included--who'd never willingly go to fight in Iraq or whomever the enemy of the week is. But the minute someone landed a force on the nearest beach, I'd be out the door with a frying pan if that's all I could grab. If there were another Hitler taking over Europe and was moving his sights around the world, I'd probably get into that fray as well. But I've never seen Saddam as a threat to America. NK maybe, but I don't think it'll ever get that far. And I think we were on the road to getting our problems with NK fixed before Bush made his infamous "Axis of Evil" speech.

Just because people won't go off to fight someone else's war doesn't mean they don't love this country. In fact, it could be because they do love this country they don't want to fight. Maybe they think that would be a black mark on the country that they don't want to take part in. Maybe they're trying to show their lack of support for who's running the country they love. Just because you love the country doesn't mean you have to be behind everything that happens here.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serum39

Yea, not because they love our country, but because their "stuff" might be comprimised.

Peace

True, but isn't that why we all have Militaries? To protect our stuff? Not really to go off and act like hentch men for corperate interests?

Just a thought.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Serum39
Why not?

No need for one.

Love this country?, I dunno if most peolple even think about it in those patriotic terms. I'd say most people take this country for granted.

I'm sure they don't think of it in patriotic terms on a daily basis, but if you were to go out an poll everyone 'Do you love this country' leaving out the government, politics, etc. the majority would say yes.

I can answer this many different ways, but the bottomline- we are the lesser of the many evils (so it appears to them). Besides, we put alot of time and $$$ into the PR MACHINE: "America, the Land of Opportunity".... yea, tell that to the millions that make up the "lower-income" families. We can't even take care of our own...

Those lower income families despite their situation have a much better way of life in this country and a much more better oppurtunity to change their situation than any other place.

Agreed. It's called complacency.

True, brought on by their love of their way of life....in most cases.

That stuff is what makes America America.
And it's not just because of that. You WILL find millions fighting for this country, not just their stuff.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
People dont want die...

People don't want to die period, I would say the younger generations as a whole doesn't hold their country and what it stands for in as high of regard as those in the era of WWII did.

We live cushier life styles, easier living and no one wants to leave their swimming pools and lazy boys for the sands of Iraq or any other country overseas.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   

True, but isn't that why we all have Militaries? To protect our stuff? Not really to go off and act like hentch men for corperate interests?

Just a thought.

we have our military i wonder why we defending South Korea which has no oil...i wonder........

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Even in popular wars where we are directly attacked the government ends up drafting people if the war doesn't end quickly. The draft was used to fill the military in World War II which was probably the most popular war in U.S. history.

The truth of the matter is that a small percentage of the country will volunteer to fight for the country at any time for any reason. Many more will volunteer in time of need. The vast majority however would not fight unless forced regardless of circumstances. The majority of those that would not volunteer to join however tend to have no problem sending the volunteers to fight.

Don't assume that the draft represents anything more than the decision of the majority to recognize that the needs of the nation now go beyond the few willing to serve when not forced. If you don't like the way we do it feel free to immigrate to a nation without compulsory military service. Unfortunately most democratic nations outside the Anglo-Saxon world still require military service.

My Grandfather took part in the D-Day invasion and guess what...he was drafted.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I believe their are 11 million Illegal aliens in this country at this very moment (Gotta love Lou Dobbs).

People who are classified as "poor" in the US usually have a car or more, a house, television set and maybe even a computer. I think many Immigrants who flock toward to the United States mainly find it a great place to live. Considering the fact that where the richest nation in the world.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The only people that are talking of a draft is the Liberal fear-mongers who want to scare everyone into voting for them, giving up support for the Republicans, and backing the acts of our Administration in the War on Terror.

It's a sad day for the Democratic party when they must resort to scaring youngsters with the "D" word, and telling retirees and the elderly that Bush is going to take away their Social Security benefits. Of course anyone with an IQ over 85 doesn't believe either one of those things. And the rest are Democratic voters!

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

Just a thought.

we have our military i wonder why we defending South Korea which has no oil...i wonder........

To keep control of the pacific rim. Duh, didn't you watch M.A.S.H??

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Why hasn't anyone mentioned how most European nations have mandatory conscription?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join