It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress ready to resurrect Draft!!..

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
A House bill to reinstate the draft finally made its way to the Armed Services Committee where a vote is expected only after President Bush decides whether he is for or against conscription.

www.americanfreepress.net...

“The draft is especially unpopular now because of the mounting death toll in Iraq,” said Milne. “Rep. Rangel is, of course, opposed to the war, but believes if we are going to have to fight it, then the military should have enough soldiers to do the job properly.”

I am completely lost here. Rangel is a Democrat who opposes the War in Iraq, yet he's moving to resurrect the Draft shipping off our children to their possible deaths? No doubt this smells of a Republican Shill like that Zel Miller fellow...

Military draft back on US agenda

Are Democrats pushing to reinstate the Draft during a Republican Presidency? If you're Red or Blue, Conservative or Liberal, what are you feelings towards resurrecting the Draft?

[edit on 13-6-2005 by syntaxer]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Odd, I just see in the news, all the forces Goals where made so far.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
The Army and Marines did not meet their recruitment goals this year they are off by significant numbers and are having difficulty recruiting people.
And why do people seem so shocked by this? They don't want to joint the military yet they don't want a draft? You cant have it both ways, we cant compromise our military position must be filled!

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
The Army and Marines did not meet their recruitment goals this year they are off by significant numbers and are having difficulty recruiting people.
And why do people seem so shocked by this? They don't want to joint the military yet they don't want a draft? You cant have it both ways, we cant compromise our military position must be filled!

Stop fighting illefal wars and this wouldn't happen. Maybe, just maybe, the problem doesn't lie at the feet of the average American who choses not to fight for corperation - but maybe, it belongs at the feet of those that put you in this mess by lies, deceict and deception?

Just a thought..

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I would like to see a link stating that all recruiting goals have been met. My understanding of the situation is that the American Armed Forces have 1 man for ever ten they need at this moment.

They're off recruiting goals by an average of 50-60% monthly.

They're raising bonuses and lowering requirements left and right, even introducing shorter tours in an effort to reduce the trend. There have been numerous threads on ATS regarding the problems faced, and I've authored at least two of them.

So as far as I'm concerned, the US Military meeting it's force requirements would be major news.

In any case, I think the reason Rangel is taking this thing to the floor is because he believes the poor should not have to fight a war for the rich. I don't just think that, he said as much in defense of the bill.

We also talked a little about it here - politics.abovetopsecret.com... - unfortunately it became political, which is exactly what I foresee here.

I'll re-itterate what I said in the other thread, which is that I support the author's logic, that the poor should not be the only ones to bear the burden of war. However, I'm almost positive a draft would have catastrophic repurcussions in the here and now. I am also quite positive that, draft or no, the rich will still be able to avoid the front lines or perhaps avoid the war altogether.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I do not have a link, I just seen it on the CNN, or fox news, its was very short but talk about all the forces, I think it was for this quarter.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
AS I said that I looked it up, and every link said they had not. I wish they would get it right or not report.

SORRY

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The whole concept behind this draft is that the poor will no longer have to fight America's wars. The mentality, I think, is that the poor are the only ones in the military now, and they want to force the rich to have to participate as well.

Besides, we only have two more days until the draft begins

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Once that gets passed, the War with Iran would start shortly thereafter...Mark my words. I have been saying there is going to be a draft for months now.

The draft IS coming. And once its implimented, war with Iran will ensue shortly.

It will happen like this in order:

- Draft gets passed.
- All of a sudden Iran will have nuclear weapons capable of reaching the US. Or something simular.
- US reports Iran to the UN security council. They will do nothing of course.
- US will warn Iran repeadedly over a month or two to fix whatever problem the US says its in violation of.
- US starts earmarking groundtroops for Iran. Plans to implement the draft start as there wont be enough to share with Iraq.
- Bombing starts
- Military analysts announce earmarked troops wont be enough for the ground assault and start drafting...

At that point cowards will run to Canada, rich kids will get out of it due to parental influence, and the kids that go will be poor kids that have no other options. And again, like Vietnam, the kids dying in the war have the least to fight for, protecting the cowards that will prosper the most.

Fun stuff huh?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hey, what about we cowards who tried to get in but were booted due to some health concerns? And I'm not even poor! What's wrong with the JJ?!

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Hey, what about we cowards who tried to get in but were booted due to some health concerns? And I'm not even poor! What's wrong with the JJ?!

You for real with this statement? People who cant get in for health reasons are legit. So long as its a real health problem. Myabe your father is a Dr and doesnt want you to go? Wouldnt be to hard to make something up...

link   
Also if you review the entire 'draft legistation'...it has been the democrats who have been pushing for it over the last few years. It was introduced by good ole Rangle d-NY and another dem. Yet if a draft were to go into effect, which imo will not happen, these individuals will be the first ones out complaining.

link   

Originally posted by syntaxer

I am completely lost here. Rangel is a Democrat who opposes the War in Iraq, yet he's moving to resurrect the Draft shipping off our children to their possible deaths? No doubt this smells of a Republican Shill like that Zel Miller fellow...

[edit on 13-6-2005 by syntaxer]

I can sort of see where you are going with this, but still the gentlemen is entitled to his own opinions, and if he feels the draft is necessary, it is his right as a congressman to support this motion. Personally I truly dislike the idea of the draft, but it seems more manpower may be necessary to end the war sooner.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
its not how many soldiers u have but how u execute the mission effectively with the number of soldiers u have now, look at Vietnam wen we had 500,000 but we still lost it depends on how u use the force effectively, we use only a few hundred soldiers with the help of the Northern Alliance to take Afghanistan.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The whole point of this draft, and the original reason it came before congress was to make the military an economically level playing field. It's being proposed because people want high income families equally represented in the military, instead of just our poor finding a way out of their situation by serving the nation's military. The bill was proposed before any idea of a military man power shortage came to the table. The bill was proposed either before or right at the time when Iraq started to show up front and center in the War on Terror.

This draft was all about economic equality, not getting more manpower for the military.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
The government needs to make a fundamental decision about the future of the so called "War on Terror". Any illusions that Iraq would fall and need little occupation force and lead to a domino effect of democracy in the Muslim world has now been proven false.

Where do we go from here: We really have only two choices:

1. We can turn over Iraq to the Iraqis as rapidly as possible and then withdraw our forces and hope Iraq stays stable and maybe democratic against the external destabilizing influences of all the terrorist supporting nations we have left untouched and pray that when Iran gets their nuclear weapons it does not lead to a halocaust in that part of the world. We will also need to refocus on homeland security as terrorist refocus on the American homeland and pray Iran does not give then a nuclear bomb.

2. Accept the reality that fundamentally changing the situation in the Muslim world requires a larger military, increased military spending, and a campaign to change at a minimum Iran and probably Syria and Saudi Arabia. If you accept this then we need to reduce non-defense domestic spending, increases taxes to fund the war and the return the draft to man the needed military.

The democrats who support the draft are not doing this out of belief we need one but because they know having a draft will galvanize support to put them back in power after which they will shut the war down and the draft.

In the end the Democrats don't want to fight the war and look at 9/11 as an aberration and cost of life in a dangerous world. Claiming they support the war but would do it differently is just a way of trying not to look like they don't really care about what happened on 9/11 which is the real deal. Even the conspiracies theories are really about people not wanting to disturb their personal anti-American world views that we are the problem.

In the end the Republicans don't want to do what it takes to win the war because they have no faith in the American people to support them if they told them the truth about what needs to be done in their world view. As such they try to hide the cost of the war with massive debt spending, taking on the enemy in a long protracted manner so as to immune the nation to the real human cost of the war, and to do the entire operation on the cheap in the hope of using foreigners to wage the war for us over time.

Bottomline: If we do get a draft which the democrats would secretly love this is a sign the Republicans have finally decided to take decisive action in the war because they know that once the draft is instituted they have at best until the next Presidential election to wrap this up before they are driven from office.

The draft = war with Iran because if we are seriously considering winding the war down by handing things off to the Iraqi military within a year by the time the draftees are trained the situation in Iraq will no longer be suppressing recruitment.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
so in a way it helps more poor people since they outnumber the rich people, yeah i guess it helps them more. the poor people will definitely be happy. so every 1 one rich person another 1000 poor.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Ohhh yeahhh...Iraq is the new Vietnam alright...what a [Mod Edit] hole...

Now they are forcing them to fight there [Mod Edit] war

leave fighting wars for the willing, who needs ill motivated troops? you know what that leads too, alot of civilian casualties because they need to take out their frustrations just like in Vietnam...

[Edit - Terms And Conditions Of Use 4) You will not use profanity in our forums... ]

[edit on 13/6/05 by JAK]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Yet Jungle, the draft causes more favoritism than anything. College kids dont have to go. Who has more kids in college? The rich or the severly poor?

The rich also tend to have ties that can exclude thier kids from the draft.

Look at the only example we have regarding drafts and unpopular wars in this era: Vietnam. Try to comvince just one person, just one, that Vietnam wasnt a war fought by poor American families kids.

If every kid that was called up in a draft went, then I would agree with you. The issue is, not all go that are called. And the rich ones have the advantage.

[edit on 13-6-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Would the draft include both men and women? My sister just turned 18 and sometimes I fear for her. I can't imagine all the seniors that graduated in my school become war-like and fight in the military.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join