It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mystery of Zarqawi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Source - www.janes.com...

Since 15 May, there have been conflicting reports about Zarqawi from the Iraqi authorities and Islamic websites. These include claims that the Jordanian has been seriously wounded, that he was spirited out of Iraq for emergency surgery to remove shrapnel lodged in his chest and that a new leader of his core organisation, Qa'idat al-Jihad Bilad al-Rafidayin (Al-Qaeda Organisation for Jihad in the Land of the Two Rivers), has been appointed on a temporary basis.

It is almost impossible to determine what is really happening with Zarqawi, who more than any other individual has come to embody the two-year-old insurgency in Iraq. US counterintelligence officials indicate they are now inclining towards the theory that Zarqawi has probably been seriously wounded by US forces during recent anti-insurgent sweeps in western Iraq near the Syrian border. However, Lt Col Steve Boylan, the Coalition's chief information officer, stressed on 29 May: "We have nothing to validate the reports." The suspicion lingers in many quarters that the often contradictory reports are part of a disinformation operation by Zarqawi to mask his movements and to explain his absence from Iraq.

One hypothesis is that he is seeking to widen his jihad beyond Iraq. The elusive Zarqawi has been building up a European network through his original core organisation, Jamaat al-Tawhid wa'al-Jihad (Unity and Holy War). This is primarily focused on Spain, Italy, France, Germany and Belgium, but according to European intelligence services who have interrogated some of its members over the last year or so, there have been plans to extend operations eastwards towards the Balkans and Turkey.

What are your views ?

[edit on 13-6-2005 by Stealth Spy]

[Source Credited - Jak]

[edit on 13/6/05 by JAK]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I'd say the confusion stems from the tendancy for numerous individuals to have nearly identical names, even when the name is four or more names, in that part of the world.

Having lived there for a few years, I can tell you it's quite confusing, often even to them. Names involve titles, lineage, etc. and so can really make it hard...

For example:

There are conflicting accounts of the jihadi career of Abu Musab. Abu Musab is his kuniyat (assumed name) and not the real name. al-Zarqawi means from Zarqa, which is a town in Jordan. His assumed name means father of Musab of the town Zarqa in Jordan. One does not know why he uses Musab as his kuniyat. His real name is believed to be Ahmad Fadil Al-Khalailah, which means Ahmad son of Fadil of al-Khalil, which is the name the Arabs use for the Israeli town of Hebran.His family had apparently migrated to Jordan from al-Khalil (Hebran) and he himself was born in Zarqa. He also uses the kuniyats Abu Ahmad, Abu Muhammad and Sakr Abu Suwayd.

Any idea how many Abu Muhammad's in Iraq? It would make "John Smith" look like a RARE name!

[edit on 13-6-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
This was from www.janes.com...

just so everyone knows.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
What is my view?
My view is that you are a thief, taking from Jane's, calling it your own. You even tried to call their belief your own, as if you are the originator of the concept.

How much more plagerism have you commited here on ATS, placing ATS in a legal bind?

One reason why I should not ban you for good, right now?

By the way, good catch, Captain!

[edit on 13-6-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

What is up with the plagiarists lately? Has it always been this way? I've seen three incidents in the past two days, of people stealing material and representing it as their own. The offenders were called out in all three instances, which, if nothing else, speaks to the quality of the peer review here.

Plagiarists piss me off!
Whack 'im Mr. Crowne!

JAK

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I noticed a few threads authored by Steath Spy popping up almost simultaneously so I decided to take a look.

Here is one:

The mystery of Zarqawi

Since 15 May, there have been conflicting reports about Zarqawi from the Iraqi authorities and Islamic websites. These include....

....My hypothesis is that he is seeking to widen his jihad beyond Iraq. The elusive Zarqawi has been building up a European network through...

The bold was added by me.

Now here is the entire post from Janes.com

The only alteration made to the text is that which I highlighted in bold who's only purpose can be to suggest that the post is his own work.

Jak

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
One reason why I should not ban you for good, right now?

[edit on 13-6-2005 by Thomas Crowne]

because he has more to show, and u have to wait and see wat else he has copied. in ani case yer the judge and he makes things interesting on the ATS maybe just a slap on the wrist is good enough for the first warning, if it is his first warning.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
alright i own up.

I apologise for my actions.

I have not posted more than 3 times out of the Weaponry & Aircraft Project forums. I guess i'll stick around there from now on.

Anyway i edited my post right away and u2u'ed the super mod as well.

I will accept any punishment that will be given to me for my actions.

I have not done anything similar out of this terrorism forum and i guess this will be one of my last visits here.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I plead and request the Forum Staff not to be very harsh on my "Brain Fade"

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Deltaboy, I did not ask what you thought, and plagerism is showing nothing but someone else's work. Jane's might have more to show; is that what you mean?

Spy, that was not a brain fade, that was stealing. That was not a mistake, that was a crime.

Post ban, three days.

Court is now in recess as the Judge is in need of coffee.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
I plead and request the Forum Staff not to be very harsh on my "Brain Fade"

Dude........too late!! They devoured you fast like a school of piranha. They don't play games around here. Shake it off.

Peace

top topics

join