It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democratic Terrorism In Iran? (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Just days ahead of the elections in Iran a string of bombings rocked the tightly controlled Islamic state on Sunday. Violence like the kind Iran is often accused of exporting is a relatively rare event in that country, especially over the last decade. Four bombs exploded in Ahvaz, Khuzestan province killing 7 and wounding 75, a few hours later a single bomb in Tehran killed a man waiting for a bus. Iranian intelligence believes the attacks were carried out by democratic dissedents in exile, the intelligence suggested the groups came across the border from U.S. and British controlled Iraq. In 2003 U.S. forces took control of bases belonging to Ahvazi Revolutionary Martyrs' Brigades and The People's Mujahideen Organisation, the groups suspected of carrying out the bombings.

/url]

"Based on intelligence we received, a network was trying to create problems before the election," Aghamohammadi said.

He blamed unidentified opposition groups who had called for a boycott of the elections and suggested infiltrators had come from parts of neighbouring Iraq under U.S.-British control.

Aghamohammadi said it appeared that some of the infiltrators belonged to the People's Mujahideen. U.S. forces took control of the group's bases in Iraq after the 2003 invasion.

The bombings have rattled Iranians ahead of the elections, in which Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani is favourite in opinion polls to regain the post he held from 1989 to 1997.

Rafsanjani, a wily pragmatist seen as the most moderate of five conservative candidates, remains well short of the 50 percent support he needs to avoid a run-off vote.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Iran is a country often thought of by the western public as being entirely pro-Islamic Extremist, while in fact many of Iran's citizens are struggling to get democratic reforms and a real dialogue with the west. There are many in Iran who believe that the leadership is pushing their nation towards a war with the west that they cannot win. However, there are serious hard-line Islamic Fundamentalists who see the democratic movements as being tools of the U.S. in an attempt to create instability in Iran. If Sunday's bombings did in fact come from groups inside Iraq than there is no doubt this will add further suspicions on the motives of the U.S. in Iraq. While it is almost certain the U.S. would not have had any knowledge of the bombings the violence will do even more damage to the already tense relationship between the two countries.

Related News Links:
[url=http://rds.yahoo.com/S=53720272/K=Iraq+bomb+parts+from+france/v=2/SID=e/l=NSR/R=1/SIG=12gj8lgc0/EXP=1118757372/*-http%3A//www.nzherald.co.nz/in dex.cfm?c_id=2&ObjectID=10330472]rds.yahoo.com

rds.yahoo.com
rds.yahoo.com
rds.yahoo.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
Iranian military war games , Iran isn't another Iraq
Iran is indeed not Iraq - And arrogance has always led to the fall of the greatest empires...
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 13-6-2005 by looking4truth]

[edit on 13-6-2005 by looking4truth]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
You have to love how the goverment has come to the conclusion that the attacks are being carried out by insurgents coming out of US-British controled territory.
First he says:

There was no immediate word on who had carried out the Teheran bombing or whether it was linked to the attacks in Ahvaz.

Then goes on to say

"Based on intelligence we received, a network was trying to create problems before the election," the spokesman said.
He blamed unidentified opposition groups who had called for a boycott of the elections and suggested infiltrators had come from parts of neighbouring Iraq under US-British control.

Nice use of logic to leap to that conclusion.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I'm not getting anything in the first link. Blank page.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Better fix the link or you are going to loose the story. It is dead here also

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The story is a repeat also.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Not sure it is a repeat but certainly the author never fixed the link that alone made me vote no.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
As the author of this article I apologize to worldwatcher for duplicating a submission that they had already made. I don't know why I didn't notice the other story on ATSNN, but never the less I apologize. Also I tried to correct the link in my story but something is wrong and it will not allow linking from outside. I would remove this submission but I am not sure how to do that, I am sorry for the bad post and will put much more effort into any further submissions.
Thank You
looking4truth

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Your 30 minutes to edit your story was probably expired as well

No biggie, keep up the reporting

new topics

top topics

join