It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Male vs. Female Empaths

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I've been thinking about this for a while now. I'm wondering if there are more female than male empaths, or visa versa, and if the gender of the empath has anything to do with the strength of the person's ability. Often you hear about "women's intuition" and women being more emotional than men. So does this have anything to do with empathic abilities? Could women be, more often than men, natural empaths?

So what do ATSers think? How many empaths do we have in this forum? Male or female?

I'm an empath (and a pretty strong one, just undisciplined). I'm a male.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:41 AM
link   
gender has nothing to do with the abilities an individiual has gotten from the start.

the decision to use it might be gender specific

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I am empathic (female) and it has made me physically ill. I actually didn't realize how much so until recently and didn't know there were others that were empathic and didn't become ill. I'm probably a bit older than most of you and not into the younger generation's more knowledgable aspect of such things. It is a more open society now with the internet and everything and I am grateful for that!! But I need to learn to shut it down more so I feel better....Someone on another thread mentioned meditating and that helps some. I have alot of trouble sleeping also..I used to always be trying to rationalize other people's hurtful actions and what might have caused them.

[edit on 6/14/2005 by mercury19]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Enyalius
gender has nothing to do with the abilities an individiual has gotten from the start.

the decision to use it might be gender specific

I think you may be wrong. Can anyone prove that there are the same number of male and female empaths? I'm not saying that men can't be empaths, the same as I wouldn't say that women can't play football. But it's a well known fact that more men enjoy playing football than women. So why can't there be a possibility that there are more empathic women?

It's a scientifically proven fact that women are more prone to emotion than men. It's not all about the way males are 'brought up not to be emotional.' It's a very real fact that men just aren't naturally as emotional as women. Once again, not saying that men don't have emotions. Just that women may be more emotional, and this may have something to do with empathy.

I don't think that's too much of an 'out there' hypothesis.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Women do have more natural, or accessable, empathy talent. Emotions are of course both the language and the key to empathy so they start with somewhat of an advantage.

Sex is not a factor in how powerful the ability can become, the potential is exactly the same. In any social group where training is not a part of normal life the ratio is about 4 to 1.

I think how a person is brought up is actually a major factor. The sex-based difference is at least doubled by the way we socialize our kids.

A.T
(-)

[edit on 6/14/05 by Alexander Tau]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 02:47 AM
link   
IMO, People arent born with special talents like this, but rather they are in all of us, and can be accessed by any and all who really try. If Women do seem more empathic its because they dont close of their emotions like men do. Women are more in touch with themselves, thus allowing greater empathic sensitivity and what not.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 02:51 AM
link   
you worded it better then i did
but no not everyone has the same abilities. a lot of people do but not everyone. those who don't got other talents which they can use and learn to use.

I'm male and got the empathic ability. chosen not to train it yet because i experienced it several times before and i dont like it. when people in my surroundings are angry or depressed i get to be like that as well. that is untill i started using shields. nothing gets to me unless i allow it.

[edit on 14-6-2005 by Enyalius]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I am Male and i have it as well .Whats worse i spent my younger part of life building up these talents as you call them .
now I spend my time trying to shut them DOWN .Let someone else have them they areNOt very helpfull and cause manny problems.
But It does eam my talents are finly tonning down now and not so strong of offton as they use to be.
You clame to be empathic If you truly are you would want ride of it as well . Ever feal the pain of people dieing? Ever feal the pain of millions starving ? Ever feal the pain the wepons of war cause? Untill you do you dont have a clue what it truly means to be empathic.
On a side note they can be used to heal as well have manneged to use them for that quite a few times as well .But its not worth ffealing everthing else.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
i know excactely what it is to be empathic and i aint getting rid of it. you can't have the good without the bad. so you got to make a clear decision. the same i had to make with every other gift i got. and i'm not giving them up.

you just got to learn to use it. and seeing your reaction you don't know how to use it and how to use it when you want to instead of having tons of feelings and thoughts and visions coming in non-stop. learn to defend yourself geez. what else are shields for

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   

People arent born with special talents like this, but rather they are in all of us, and can be accessed by any and all who really try.

On that I agree with you but genetics and experience make them more or less likely to emerge, and harder or easier to train.

Empathy is 'Advanced Listening' really, and women just try to do that more often which, no surprise, leads to 'hearing' more than they intended.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
IMO, being an empath, you are born with it, chose it before being born.
I tried to run from it for many years, but that will make you physically ill.
The way I have found best for me is to 'limit' contacts amongst most all groups or types of people,,gender is irrelevant.
Know what? It follows you on the net.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I don't think it's up to anyone on this board to decide who is or isn't an empath, since few of us actually know each other. And just because you haven't had to feel the pain of someone dying does not mean you don't know what it's like to be an empath.

My experiences have not been enjoyable. You never really notice when empathy is doing good for you. You might become happier when someone else is happy, or make others happy without even realizing it. But it's those negative emotions that we seem to notice, and that's what makes so many wish they weren't empaths.

I've been on the receiving end of some female empaths before, as well... It may have had to do with their connection to me, but the barrage I've felt from them was like nothing I ever had to fend off from a male...

Then again, it could have been that circumstance. My empathic experiences are all related to people that I have strong emotional connections with, so it could just be coincidence that I have more emotional connections with females than males.

Either way, it sure sucks being on the receiving end.

[edit on 16-6-2005 by CloudlessKnight]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Maybe you should look into the Masculine and Feminine Signs of the Zodiac instead of Gender. There you will find how each type functions plus other influences.

The Feminine Signs of the Zodiac including Water Signs are associated with emotion and strength from within as opposed to physical strength to get things done. To me that includes many abilities discussed here, our insight, our continued search for knowledge, the need to find people like us, etc.

Everyone should start with astrology as it lays out a good foundation that you can make connections from through experiences.

The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need by Joanne Martine

Read it front to back, actually time for me to read again and do a chart for the Summer.

And as for Empathy, decreasing exposure to large groups should help. Your shield should help you with small groups and individuals briefly before their thoughts or problems filter through. Remember you arent meant to stop it, everything happens for a reason no matter how tired that saying is.
You need to find out why you have this ability and what the need is for it. Im in the process, many are also and thats why they comehere no matter what they type.

We need a forum just for believers to discuss things without people who have no clue shooting it down.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:20 AM
link   
shield your self you say? Well try shielding your self in at a rock consert with thousands of screaming fans . For a wile yes for a LIFETIME?
No way to keep a sheild up all the time eventuly you tire . If a shield works for you then your abilty isent very strong.
As for being seperated from the groups of people it helps . I cant stand being in a room with more then 5 for any amount of time.And because of my so called talent have been alone most of my life . Luckly Im smarter then it and found a way around the problem enough to find my wife and have a family.
and if it wasent for that I would have went off the deep end years agaio.
Empathice in a world full of PAIN . Yea you can feal when others fell good as well but I tell you theres MUCH more pain a ocean full compaired to the island of sanity a angre ocean.
Only thing i could immange that would be worse then being empathic would be talapathic .Have that as well but it conectins in with empathice and isent very strong Rarly ever get accutal words only immanges.
But full fledged could you immagen Peoples acctions are bad enough to give you an idea of what there though would be like.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
It doesnt work forever, I understand and typed that. In fact it only works when you are prepared for it. In a situation like a rock concert it is better to ride the current than to swim against it. ya know. Channel that energy and use it.

Every situation is different as are people. A shield is something you work up when you know you will be around more people than you can handle.

I dont know how storng that abilty is in comparison to the rest of you because Ive got others to deal with plus reality. Thats why I call myself a mystic because its broad.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simcity4Rushour
shield your self you say? Well try shielding your self in at a rock consert with thousands of screaming fans . For a wile yes for a LIFETIME?
No way to keep a sheild up all the time eventuly you tire . If a shield works for you then your abilty isent very strong.
As for being seperated from the groups of people it helps . I cant stand being in a room with more then 5 for any amount of time.And because of my so called talent have been alone most of my life . Luckly Im smarter then it and found a way around the problem enough to find my wife and have a family.
and if it wasent for that I would have went off the deep end years agaio.
Empathice in a world full of PAIN . Yea you can feal when others fell good as well but I tell you theres MUCH more pain a ocean full compaired to the island of sanity a angre ocean.
Only thing i could immange that would be worse then being empathic would be talapathic .Have that as well but it conectins in with empathice and isent very strong Rarly ever get accutal words only immanges.
But full fledged could you immagen Peoples acctions are bad enough to give you an idea of what there though would be like.

obviously you don't know how to shield. in the beginning i had one up that needed to be refreshed every other day. now i got an aura shield which stays up 24/7. and my abilities are very strong thats why i decided to use a shield and only let things through when i want it. learn to control your gifts for crying out loud.

if you're empathic it wouldn't matter staying in a room with more then 5 people. you'd also pick stuff up from people that were in the room before...WAY before.

same goes for telepathic gift. i'm still "training" that to become more powerfull then it already is. as it stands now i get a lot of random stuff which are shallow thoughts. once again learn to control your gifts and set up a shield so you can stay in charge isntead of being overwhelmed like a...well n00b is first that comes into mind.

but why am i bothering to explain it. americans always know best dont they

i decided to embrace what i got and make it powerfull and learn to control it. so that you can shut it on/off and learn to focus it. you only get the unpleasant stuff if you allow EVERYTHING to get through to you. and i hated to feel depressed and hurt when anyone else in a 10meter radius felt so. but since i learned to control it and use it the way i want it, it helped me out a lot.

not me personally, but my friends. on whome i used it to help them.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Im sorry enyalius im not trying to downplay your abilitys .
if you have that much control over what you recive 24/7 as you say then your defintly better off then I .
Truly it sounds like your shild is like my dislocation Cut your self off from alowing it in as little as possible. may be two names for the same idea .
But again i still say you can have it and mine to boot .
Personly i dont care if your better then I and I dident mean to imply I was better.
I wouldent wish this Gift on most people. i shouldent even have written in this post as It only brings it back out .
And I hope you are carefull with all this stuff theres much good in it yes but also much bad very very bad.
spent from 11 years old till 25 building these talenets up spent the rest of the time trying to tone them back down.
I can count the times these talents have helped on one hand but couldent fill enough paper with numbers to count the times its directly or induirectly been the cause of pain.
I give anything to get ride of these talents as long as it dident cost my will to survive.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
true it isnt easy. takes time to practice as well. shielding and grounding are the first 2 things you must learn before doing anyting energy/magic/gift related. once you learned those then work on your gifts

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:11 AM
link   

At first yes Shielding takes effort and energy, but with time it should be easy. It is not a 'thing' it is more of a filter. It is a visualization of what you are 'not' doing, ie letting certain things in, that should not take energy it should in fact protect what you have because it is not being drained off by others.

I do understand what you mean about large groups of people, but in truth that is just human. Distance means nothing. Nothing at all except that when you do not see someone you are less likely to open the door to them. I do not think perfection is possible, if you are sensitive then sometimes someone is going to get in, but that is as it is supposed to be. These talents are a responsibility and we do not always get to choose when we are called upon to use them.

The responsibility is what keeps these things from being commonplace, we can all learn them but most do not want to do so.

Oh, and Enyalius, could we drop the slams against Americans, you of all people should know that we are not all alike.

A.T
(-)

[edit on 6/21/05 by Alexander Tau]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander Tau
Oh, and Enyalius, could we drop the slams against Americans, you of all people should know that we are not all alike.

A.T
(-)

true. but the chance i can communicate with a decent one is so small these days. it's a shame

it's also frustrating to give answers and resolutions on a silver platter and still the other person thinks to know best.

as for shielding. there are varities then just "things" that filter. you can also let them do stuff for you, to a certain extant

top topics

<<   2 >>

join