It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I dont understand something atheists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
If God "doesnt exist", as you say, why do you get so pissed off every time other people talk about him? He should be like a unicorn to you, or a fairy. Just sonething that doesnt exist.

I have one friend who I was discussing religion with (hes an athiest). SO he finishes his arguement (which by the way was total crap, and I could tell he made it up). SO its my turn to speak,. I mention God. He literally says "Ok, I'm done with this" and walks out. Whats the deal, was he afraid I would convert him or something?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JordanW345
If God "doesnt exist", as you say, why do you get so pissed off every time other people talk about him? He should be like a unicorn to you, or a fairy. Just sonething that doesnt exist.

I have one friend who I was discussing religion with (hes an athiest). SO he finishes his arguement (which by the way was total crap, and I could tell he made it up). SO its my turn to speak,. I mention God. He literally says "Ok, I'm done with this" and walks out. Whats the deal, was he afraid I would convert him or something?

Because 9 times out of 10 someone who mentions god to someone that they KNOW is an atheist are either about to try convert them or tell them that they are damned. Let me guess.. you quote scripture? Mention accepting Jesus' love? Intend to tell him he needs to be saved? I am an atheist.. yet I was raised Catholic. When someone tells me I'm going to hell for it.. they are making judgements on my personal morality and integrity ['evil' people go to hell] and therefore elevating themselves above me which makes it even more insulting if they aren't moral themselves.. and then when I finnally get pissed off because they won't respect my [dis]beliefs.. they accuse me of just being afraid of conversion.. as though atheism is just a matter of being rebellious little child- sorry but you can't rebel against something that doesn't actually exist.

And yes.. being instructed to believe in unicorns, fairies etc.. and expected to take them seriously would be quite irritating as well.

[edit on 12-6-2005 by riley]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   

If God "doesnt exist", as you say, why do you get so pissed off every time other people talk about him?

You are stereotyping, and generalizng "atheists".
I don't mind if people talk about God. To each his own.
You are right, in my case, I believe most of the religious books, that mention an "almighty" are just Politically driven fairytales.

[edit on 12-6-2005 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by riley

Because 9 times out of 10 someone who mentions god to someone that they KNOW is an atheist are either about to try convert them or tell them that they are damned. Let me guess.. you quote scripture? Mention accepting Jesus' love? Intend to tell him he needs to be saved? I am an atheist.. yet I was raised Catholic. When someone tells me I'm going to hell for it.. they are making judgements on my personal morality and integrity ['evil' people go to hell] and therefore elevating themselves above me which makes it even more insulting if they aren't moral themselves.. and then when I finnally get pissed off because they won't respect my [dis]beliefs.. they accuse me of just being afraid of conversion.. as though atheism is just a matter of being rebellious little child- sorry but you can't rebel against something that doesn't actually exist.

And yes.. being instructed to believe in unicorns, fairies etc.. and expected to take them seriously would be quite irritating as well.

[edit on 12-6-2005 by riley]

I'm not talking about someone who is talking to the atheist to try to convert them, just to make an arguement.

You said you were raised Catholic. WHy did you change?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
(using your analogy)

You were having an objective discussion on Unicornism with a friend that doesn't believe in Unicorns, and you begin your position on Unicorns with the subjective proof that The Great Unicorn says...

Yeah I lost interest at that point to. :bnghd:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Come on Rant.
You have to admit that for the last few months, everytime there has been a discussion on religion, a discussion on how religion may work hand in hand with science, religion in everyday society / goverment, there is a plethora of aethists here on atc and bts who take up the banner and start hollering.
Shoot, even the mod's (and Super Mod's) have jumped on this band and actually called people of faith (in any religion) to be stupid and ignorant.
Aethiest, complain that those of faith try to convert the aethist. Yet not one word is raised by anyone here or in the real world when an aethist attempts to convert a person of faith and when the aethist fails this, they degrade those of faith.

Unfortunately, I find the author's point something that actually needs to be looked into.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by kenshiro2012
Unfortunately, I find the author's point something that actually needs to be looked into.

I'll get right on that.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I'm not talking about someone who is talking to the atheist to try to convert them, just to make an arguement.

a/ Then what are you talking about? We have no way of knowing if you were quoting scripture or telling him he's hellbound or if you were just 'talking'.. not to assume that you were but you are asking for atheists opinions without giving the context of the discussion.
b/ I answered your question.. did it clarify anything?

You said you were raised Catholic. WHy did you change?

A few of several reasons.. because logic won out [the main reason], I didn't like being told I should be ashamed of myself for things I haven't done or will ['original sin' etc.
], I found the 'ethics' taught questionable [teaches mysoginry and intollerence [IMO] and I don't like corporations bent on world domination.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
All I hear, believe or go to hell.

Sounds like a threat to me.

Why force people to follow? "your going to hell", I say, See you there!

[edit on 13-6-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Person A believes a specific subject to be false. Person B believes that same subject to be true. Why would Person A waste their time on the opinions of person B if he/she believes said individual to be incorrect?

If someone told me that the world was flat, why would I even bother entertaining the notion if I feel that all my facts and logic prove it not to be flat. I don't 'fear' that I am going to be converted to their thinking; I just don't see the point of entertaining seemingly ridiculous theories.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
So what you are say SpittinCobra,
That you condemn those of faith whilst supporting of the no-believers?
They basically say the same thing except that instead of dying and going to hell, a person of faith is stupid, ignorant and is something at which they can point a finger at and laugh at like you would do to a museum pice depicting a neadethal?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Aethiest, complain that those of faith try to convert the aethist. Yet not one word is raised by anyone here or in the real world when an aethist attempts to convert a person of faith and when the aethist fails this, they degrade those of faith.

So Kenshiro.. how is it we atheists do this? I personally don't care what people believe in.. if someone says the world is only 6000 years old my telling them that that is f*&^ idiotic is not trying to convert them.. it is trying to educate them. You could only find a handul of posts that may show atheists are trying to convert christians etc [who will typically use facts to back their views].. but I could find a thousand where atheists are told they are going to burn in hell and should convert. So what qualifies? Teaching evolution or sex ed? or that adam and eve never existed? or not teaching that a few million animals were squashed into a tiny boat? Or not teaching that that women are inferior? That our planet isn't the centre of the universe? That it wasn't created in 7 days?

:bnghd:
[saves me from doing it later..]

[edit on 13-6-2005 by riley]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

So what you are say SpittinCobra,
That you condemn those of faith whilst supporting of the no-believers?

I dont condemm any except maybe the KKK.

I could careless what anyone thinks or believes. I was answering the question asked to the best of my abilty.

I feel, if there is a God and its the God of the bible, he will understand because he is God. My life is to short to worrie about where I am going after.

I dont need people reminding me that I might go to hell.

I wouldnt say im an Atheist, because I am open minded. I would say I dont know and I really dont want to spend 50%of my life trying to please something I dont know is there.

Untill I have rock sold "proof', nothing short of God himself talking to me, I am not going to know, I surely not going to trust a book that have been changed as much as my underware.

Im tired of people saing it wrong for people to be gay, when its in the genectics. People have been gay as long as there was people.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Riley, From your your own post:

So Kenshiro.. how is it we atheists do this? I personally don't care what people believe in.. if someone says the world is only 6000 years old my telling them that that isf*&^ idiotic is not trying to convert them..

Can you not see something wrong in your own post? Tell, me where has there been a similar statement from a person of faith directed against one that is not? Other than the author's question of why do they get pissed off?

If someone here or anywhere else, were to say something that you do not agree with, instead of debasing them, how about attempting to prove them wrong. If you are not able to, then tell them that although, you (and maybe the world) may believe that they are wrong that you agree to disagree.

As for banging your head against the wall, that is your perogative. Does it help? does it hinder you bet yourself as you are already labeling

[edit on 13-6-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Cool SpittingCobra, I mis-read, mis-understood your post.
Can happen

[edit on 13-6-2005 by kenshiro2012]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Can happen

Its all GOOD.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Riley, From your your own post:

So Kenshiro.. how is it we atheists do this? I personally don't care what people believe in.. if someone says the world is only 6000 years old my telling them that that isf*&^ idiotic is not trying to convert them..

Can you not see something wrong in your own post? Tell, me where has there been a similar statement from a person of faith directed against one that is not? Other than the author's question of why do they get pissed off?

To be honest.. I've never actually said that previously [search my posts].. I sited it as an example as usually I'd have to give an essay of around twenty thousand words on why it's illogical and couldn't be bothered.. but accept my apologies if you believe our planet is only 6000 years old.. though I do personally believe it's an infantile notion. btw.. how is that trying to convert?.

Edit [again]. I see you didn't actually start this thread.. my bad.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   

To be honest.. I've never actually said that previously [search my posts

Very few people are stupid here on ATS, please dont treat us like we are.

You clearly edited that out of this thread.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

To be honest.. I've never actually said that previously [search my posts

Very few people are stupid here on ATS, please dont treat us like we are.

You clearly edited that out of this thread.

I edited as I got the poster confused with the original author which messed up the whole post and so it went from being a page long to just a paragraph.. but I never edited out f^%^ idiotic from one of my previous posts [which was itself edited for bad spelling as far as I remember- as are most].

Very cunning of you to notice though.

Edited for historical accuracy [and poor spelling].
Edit to remove more insults. I'm sure they won't notice.. oh I hope they don't.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join