It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS member's reporting on H5N1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
H5N1…Lets start our own reporting system.

It seems to me that there’s a lot of lip services being given to what I consider the greatest threat to the world…H5N1 influenza. You hear sporadic reports of outbreaks and some calls for more resources to be allocated for the surveillance and rapid intervention of any outbreaks, yet this virus is still popping up all over Asia.

Is there anybody on ATS that lives in any of the affected areas? If so could they report any unusual die offs of birds or domestic waterfowl in their region?

I’m not sure how ATS could help this endeavor get off the ground, but maybe they could start an alert bulletin that would automatically upload ATS members reports along with “official” news from the web to a special banner on their site?

Any takers for local Asian reporting?

ATS, for the consolidation and reporting of this threat?

I hope I’m not alone in fearing this thing. I think it’s a greater threat than any nuclear exchange might be.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
is this the 'Super Bug'?

We have been getting some reports here in Australia. As always I really don't put much stock in all this since alot of the time it turns out to be media hype.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Disaster_Boy
is this the 'Super Bug'?

No. This is a naturally occuring mutation of existing viral RNA. About every 35-40 years a pandemic occures that the population has no protection from althought this does sound alot like Mr. King's "The Stand".

What kind of reports are you getting from the land down under?

Any info on a flu plan for the country?

[edit on 14-6-2005 by gman55]

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Some scientists say that the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 that killed so many people during WWI was a variety of Bird Flu. If you don't recall the account, as many people died due to the Flu symptoms as were killed in all of WWI. Matter-of-fact several historians have said that WWI was called off and an Armistice was signed creating the League of Nations due to so many soldiers on both sides had either died from the Flu or were so sick they could not muster a fighting force to continue. It was estimated that roughly 20-50 million died worldwide from the Pandemic. Below are good URLs explaining the devastation:

chnm.gmu.edu...

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Josekinuc
Some scientists say that the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 that killed so many people during WWI was a variety of Bird Flu. If you don't recall the account, as many people died due to the Flu symptoms as were killed in all of WWI. Matter-of-fact several historians have said that WWI was called off and an Armistice was signed creating the League of Nations due to so many soldiers on both sides had either died from the Flu or were so sick they could not muster a fighting force to continue. It was estimated that roughly 20-50 million died worldwide from the Pandemic.

Your right on both accounts. WWI was interupted because there were not enough troops to maintain a battle.

Also todays figures of the total deaths is close to 50-100 million worldwide. And that was at only a 3% death rate. Imagine a pandemic at 50% death rate...shivers...

Did you know that the "Spanish Flu" was actually an avian enfluenza that started in the US...Kansas I believe.

[edit on 17-6-2005 by gman55]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Yes, it was on a military post in Kansas and spread like wildfire throughout the entire world. I didn't realize it was 50 to 100 million. I thought my 50 million was high but you are probably closer to the truth than my figures. So, many were buried quickly without a true headcount.

Both sides of World War I, the enemy didn't want the other side knowing the devistation or weakness going on in their military might. That would give aid and comfort to the enemy; so they probably buried the dead without a word. It would demoralize the troops if they new how many of their comrades were dying by this vicious bug.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This is the 1st entry of the 1918 timeline..

At Fort Riley, Kansas, an Army private reports to the camp hospital just before breakfast on March 11 complaining of fever, sore throat, and headache. He was quickly followed by another soldier with similar complaints. By noon, the camp's hospital had dealt with over 100 ill soldiers. By week's end that number jumped to 500.

See the entire story at...

www.pbs.org...

top topics

join