It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Conspiracy to Remove Evidence of Climate Change?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
According to a report which surfaced this week in the New York Times, a White House official, who once worked for the American Petroleum Institute, has repeatedly edited government climate reports in a way that downplays links between greenhouse gas emissions and global warming. Today according to a CNN.com report that same official has stepped down.

www.cnn.com
A former oil industry lobbyist who changed government reports on global warming has resigned in a long-planned departure, the White House said Saturday.

Philip Cooney, who was chief of staff of the White House Council on Environmental Quality, left Friday, two days after it was revealed that he had edited administration reports on climate change in 2002 and 2003.

His departure was "completely unrelated" to the disclosure, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

"Mr. Cooney has long been considering his options following four years of service to the administration," she said. "He'd accumulated many weeks of leave and decided to resign and take the summer off to spend time with his family."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The disturbing allegation made by the New York times report is that Cooney made handwritten notes on drafts of several reports issued in 2002 and 2003, removing or adjusting language on climate research.

A former American Petroleum Institute official becomes a White House official in the Bush administration and edits critical climate reports?

Do the math people!

The science community is divided on many aspects regarding global climate. But many agree on the impact global warming is having and will continue to have on our climate.

Will we ever know what was edited?... Better yet why?

And most of all.. who ordered the editing if anyone?

Also Posted in ATS Political Conspiracies forum, linked below

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Conspiracy to Remove Evidence of Climate Change?

[edit on 12-6-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Interesting...and completely unsurprising. I'm voting this one up for sure.

While some scientist dispute the idea that humans are contributing to climate change, the majority say that we are. It seems that everyday another study comes out that supports the idea that we are having an effect.

[edit on 6/12/2005 by Flinx]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The why part is obvious to me. #1 priority is to protect the interests of the oil companies. The deal with this regime is profit before all else.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
What about this discussion from 4 days ago

ATSNN Politics

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   
The consensus on human activity causing climate change exists outside the US. The debate still rages within the US and they are looking increasingly isolated on their attitude towards climate change and the actions required to tackle it.

Ironically some the latest evidence, which makes climate change even more extreme than we first thought, is coming from US studies.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
You will never guess where I heard about this story first in the media.... the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. The level of reporting in this nation has gotten worrysome.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by S1LV3R4D0
What about this discussion from 4 days ago

ATSNN Politics

Thank you for posting the link to the other story.

I missed it, however this story was posted with a new twist on the case.

A former oil industry lobbyist who changed government reports on global warming has resigned in a long-planned departure, the White House said Saturday.

The White House spokeswoman claims his departure was "long-planned".

So I guess the disclosure was only coincidental to his departure coming only days after the original New York Times report?

[edit on 13-6-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Interesting. Any suppression of science by the Oil Industry automaticallly is an American problem.

Nevermind the majority of the oil industry is commanded by OPEC, which ranges from secular Muslim nations to outright Islamic fundamentalist rule.

Knowing that Whabists will go to terrible lengths to promote their beliefs on the streets of Spain, Iraq and various Russian provinces, it is not a difficult stretch of concept to move to a less violent, more conservative economic attack on the "enemies" of your beliefs. Namely, the rest of the world.

Do you think, an oil-industry exec, or an entire board, would get very far if they decided to tell OPEC to "pound sand" and dumped a few billion into effective replacements for oil? The profits are there, whether biodiesel or hydrogen. Maybe even more profits, because then they would control the supply, not Saudi and other royal families. A cheap raw material that they would then sell for almost pure profit.

Why don't they? Short sighted greed and payola beyond the dreams of avarice. When that fails, take the Media you own and destroy the companies and inviduals opposing your Oil Cartel. Failing that, another "accident". And who's gonna miss a rich fat white guy who worked in the oil industry? Nobody the Media cares about, that's for certain.

On this board daily we have posts of absolute power corrupting absolutely. We have concerns about people with more power and less oversight. We look to current and past administrations and choose party lines and argue. What's common among them all? Close ties with the Saud royal families. Because to not kiss the royal ring is devastation to your career, at the very least.

After 9/11, it was allowed by the elite and the ancient royal families to take out Bin Laden because he stepped over the line-he attacked big money and the ceenters of power instead of the people, breaking the rules of the games kings have played since the misty past. Bush went into Iraq to remove a secular leader from the oil power game, and now the rest of the Middle East wants to cut up Saddam's share. Iran on one side, Saudi Arabia on the other.

Media will continue to try to spin this as an American problem. America is a latecomer on the power game worldwide. Saudi and Iranian and other royal families have played these games of commerce, conquest and skullduggery with unbroken lines of players for untild generations. We're being played, we've been played and will continue to be played, as long as we allow ourselves to keep short term vision and refuse to look deeper and learn for history as it is, not the whitewashed versions.

Bottom line-American oil companies are lapdogs. This sort of news is to take the focus away from the masters of the dogs. Will the American public wake up to the reality of world power? Or continue to think things didn't radically change in the 40's when oil exploitiation shifted from the South Pacific to the Middle East? How much concern do Wahabists have for environment, if by changing it they can damage, or defeat their enemies?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
Interesting. Any suppression of science by the Oil Industry automaticallly is an American problem.

Nevermind the majority of the oil industry is commanded by OPEC, which ranges from secular Muslim nations to outright Islamic fundamentalist rule.

I'm not sure I follow you.. Are you saying the editing of climate reports was done to help the cause of the Saudis, or OPEC?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Exactly that. For two possibilities. One being the business case. If irrefutable evidence is produced by all sides that fossil fuels are extremely damaging, it becomes much easier to push for cleaner alternatives. Alternatives which are not OPEC controlled. Ergo, revenue loss.

The other, more frightening alternative-environmental warfare. Help keep your enemy poisoning himself, since the royalty will find protection from any environmental damage, and any subjects that suffer, well, suffer for the glory of the royalty (or their religion). The society shows a long term, violent history of suppression of ideas that go against the established sects and religious monarchy. It's not a big intuitive leap to see individuals willing to visit violence on "heathens", "Great Satan"s, and other "godless" peoples

Originally posted by UM_Gazz

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet

I'm not sure I follow you.. Are you saying the editing of climate reports was done to help the cause of the Saudis, or OPEC?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I found a letter in a press release written by Sen. Joe Lieberman regarding the related issues in this discussion.

In a letter to White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card, dated September 24, 2003, Lieberman asked Card “to clear the record once and for all by publicly disclosing all the White House contacts” in the last two years with The Competitive Enterprise Institute, a conservative think tank, regarding global warming.

At issue are communications between Philip Cooney, Chief of Staff for the White House Council on Environmental Quality, and Myron Ebell, Director of the Competitive Enterprise Institute’s Global Warming and Environmental Policy, as evidenced by a June 2003 email in which the CEI director referred to a White House’s request that the think tank help “clean up this mess.”

"The mess" refers to the submission of the global warming report in May 2002 by the State Department to the United Nations, which embarrassed the Administration because it found that increasing concentrations of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere are responsible for the warming of the earth. The Bush Administration, by contrast, has supported the unfettered use and production of fossil fuels regardless of environmental ramifications.

LINK to Full Press Release (Including the actual letter from Lieberman)

This seems to expose how early on it was clear to at least some government officials there was something wrong with information from the White House related to global warming.

[edit on 13-6-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
A key part of Lieberman's letter that stands out and can be found in full here...

However, on August 6, 2003, CEI filed a lawsuit against the Administration to invalidate the National Assessment of the Potential Consequences of Climate Variability and Change -- published in 2000 by the Clinton Administration after a decade of study -- which formed the basis for many of the conclusions in the Climate Action Report. The suit is apparently an attempt to have the National Assessment (and therefore the Climate Action Report) withdrawn.

The June 3, 2002 email suggests that CEQ may have worked with CEI in forming a strategy to “clean up the mess” left by the Climate Action Report. This lawsuit may have been seen by the Administration as the best means to that end. I hope that the lawsuit, in which the Administration is in a position to defend these official U.S. conclusions on climate change, is not the result of a collusive plan conceived by CEI in concert with the Administration itself. It would be wrong in any circumstance to reject the well-founded findings of the National Assessment, but for the Administration to use an outside group to pursue such an ill-conceived goal would be doubly wrong, and could also be abuse of the courts at the expense of the taxpayers.

I call upon the Administration to clear this matter up by explaining what help, exactly, Mr. Cooney was seeking, prompting Mr. Ebell to send the June 3, 2002 email. I also call upon the White House to clear the record once and for all by publicly disclosing all White House contacts with CEI regarding the issue of global warming from May 1, 2002, to the present. “Contacts” include all communications, including meetings, conversations, telephone calls, emails, letters, or facsimiles. Please provide the names of all people who participated in each contact between CEI and White House staff in which global warming was addressed. This includes providing the names of all people present at relevant meetings or conversations, all those who authored or received relevant documents (such as emails or letters), and all those who made or received relevant telephone calls. Please provide me copies of all documents evidencing or regarding communications with CEI addressing global warming from May 1, 2002 to the present.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
The power of the Lobbyists and Corporations in American politics is well known, documented by the funding of these groups. The connections and links and actual financial interests between the current Bush administration and Oil is also well known and documented. Most resent proof of how his administration deals with this issue:

Recent 'Point of no Return' by chairman of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change & how Bush & Co deal with it

IMHO America is at its lowest point in its short but fruitfull history. As we live in a global village now both in culture, society, finance & environment being shared what happens in America has far reaching consequences for all of Humanity. We are all affected by the actions and thoughts done by Bush & Co. Us more so than him by thoughts and actions of even most of the world leaders when united. MMM actually how about Kyoto.

This concerns me as I have close friends in the States, and value the positive aspects of the american people, and recognise the Potential for the country and its people! This is the bit that I cant figure out. Historically no country has ever had so much Power and Influence. The people appear to care much about the truth and are fiercly patriotic in their support of the positive aspects of their culture. So you have the right spirit and enthusiasm and the power and resources you need to really change the world for the better. To further stability, peace, to feed the hungry, to use the great scientific abilities for the good of the planet and its people to really change the world, to become a respected, leading and inspiring 'Superpower'

But alas as most great opportunities are seen in retrespect even if the American population woke up to this potential and a wonderfully differant future for them and us I feel its too late. The history and actions of Bush since gaining power no longer suprise or shock me, for me its all just reinforcing what he and his administration really are, and have shown again and again to be. So now when I hear of more rights being taken away from the American people, more corporate scandal, less funding for health and social care, greater disparity of rich and poor month on month year on year, I feel sad yes but also think well you guys wanted him/this and you voted him in again your getting what you asked for.

But now im also getting what you asked for and I dont live in the US. This is the ever increasing spiral of cause and effect that the US is now in a position to inflict on the whole of Humanity. The evidence for Global Warming is there, it just seems to be America who think differantly or where bankrolled or too afriad of not upsetting the apple cart if scientists.

I have academic knowledge and a qualification on a closely allied subject in Earth Sciences. I had to check in some old diaries just now to confirm the date. I wrote a 10000 word report on vehicle emmisions its causes, effects and future technological solutions to the problems found as part of my course. I got a high mark and I submitted it in the summer of 1997. I concluded then IMHO and drawing on the research and findings of the then current consensus, that mans actions both in vehicle and industrial activity was very likely to affect the weather and our climate, but that it was a 'unproven and ongoing hypothesis'. At the time I thought strongly that it was happening but with the then current data and research it was in a scientific sense not proven, and I do also accept that temprature rises being recorded could be due to a proven and ongoing natural change in the climate and atmosphere. However since that date the amount of data and research is now vast. Nearly every single leading and respected experts in this area now accept and posit 'global warming'. Now im not an expert on this matter the project was a module of the course I did, however I do know my chemistry and engineering.

Its a fact. I mean its not even rocket science when you break it down to the facts nice and simple

Vehicles running on hydrocarbons emit pollutants into the atmosphere. One of these pollutants is Carbon Dioxide

Increased levels of Carbon Dioxide in the atmosphere increases tempreratures.

Increased tempratures in the past have affected global weather.

Intuitively the debate over this issue ended many years ago and evidence wise, as in enough cummalative results to further back up previous results, a year or two later. Unless you live in the US that is. Although to be fair over the last 4-5 yrs the main consensus amongst american academia has been shifting towards the world view. I wonder what the new guy will be like? That this is getting so little coverage is indicitive of the standard of American journalism at the moment.

There is a solution to this. Alternative combustion and power methods with enough funding for new research and infrastructure could make a massive impact. That Bush aka OIL does not care for the damage of his selfish narrow minded, foolish & dangerous actions in this regard as stated no longer suprise me. That the media as in this instance again is taking a pro bush stance on global warming and the sometimes brilliant minds of the American people dont look at the facts and question bush on this most important topic, why they dont want to lead the world in helping us all try and sort out, the biggest threat to us all and all the generations to come does surprise me and indeed sadden me.

MischeviouslySaddened

some links of interest on this topic and though I have said the above NO BIAS lol so first link - it may seem that American Scientists have actually now 'proven' a link between emitions and rises in the Sea Tempratures. Infact the most respected oceangraphic institute in America:

Scripps Instituton of Oceanography Prove Link Between Emmisions and Change in Sea Tempratures

Global Warming Signs in the US

Union of Concerned Scientist & Global Warming

Good Multimedia on this site too

Long if good Story

Study Proves Americans knowledge the same compared to Devoloping Countries on Global Warming

Permafrost Changing

MischeviouslyDefendingMotherEarth

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   

The Pentagon says climate change should be "elevated beyond a scientific debate to a national security concern."

Link

Hello W do you hear the rest of the world saying something?

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   

edited government climate reports

Scientists make use of government reports, but the bulk of research is done in the publically available and unregulated primary scientific literature. This article is bad news, but I am not so sure that its enough to result in science itself being mislead. Besides, I doubt most people trust most government reports on this topic anyway.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Link

A senior White House official accused of doctoring government reports on climate change to play down the link between greenhouse gas emissions and global warming has taken a job with ExxonMobil, the world's largest oil company.

Philip Cooney, who resigned as chief of staff of the White House council on environment quality at the weekend, will begin work at the oil giant in the autumn.

Politicians and environmental groups in Washington condemned the move yesterday. "At a minimum it creates a terrible appearance," said Henry Waxman, a Democratic Congressman who sits on the committee for government reform. "This is one of the fastest revolving doors I have seen."

So he leaves... after a "long-planned" departure.. and back into one of the top positions with ExxonMobil?

Hmmm.

I think this one is going by and no one cares about it.

If they can pull this off maybe.. they can do almost anything and get away with it... Perhaps even start a war on manufactured eveidence?

Again.. I will say to anyone who will listen! .. WAKE UP!!

[edit on 15-6-2005 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Related news?

Full Article Link

Mark Townsend in New York
Sunday June 19, 2005
The Observer

Extraordinary efforts by the White House to scupper Britain's attempts to tackle global warming have been revealed in leaked US government documents obtained by The Observer.
These papers - part of the Bush administration's submission to the G8 action plan for Gleneagles next month - show how the United States, over the past two months, has been secretly undermining Tony Blair's proposals to tackle climate change.

The documents obtained by The Observer represent an attempt by the Bush administration to undermine completely the science of climate change and show that the US position has hardened during the G8 negotiations. They also reveal that the White House has withdrawn from a crucial United Nations commitment to stabilise greenhouse gas emissions.

The documents show that Washington officials:

· Removed all reference to the fact that climate change is a 'serious threat to human health and to ecosystems';

· Deleted any suggestion that global warming has already started;

· Expunged any suggestion that human activity was to blame for climate change.

Is the truth being exposed here?

Will anyone ever be held accountable for these issues?

Have any laws been broken?

Does anyone care?

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Apparently the only ones that care are right here on ATS. The rest of the US just wants there happy happy joy joy life and no interference from whackjob conspiracists such as ourselves. Well when the crap hits the fan, then they will wish they weren't so freakin stupid.

new topics

join