It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia warns of veto on Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2002 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Russian Foreign Minister Igor Ivanov has said he hopes Russia will not have to use its UN Security Council veto to head off American military action against Iraq.

Here is the rest of the story:
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 9 2002 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It wont make a difference I am afraid. The US would rather have "permission" to go in, but I am becoming convinced it will do so whether permission is forthcoming or not. Its interesting though from the Russians, when they were the soviet empire, they just invaded countries at will. Never mind asking for permission.

posted on Sep, 10 2002 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Clinton may have waited for UN approval, but Bush is an entirely different proposition. I believe he has already declared that the US would act unilaterally without the UN. To tell u the truth, I think it's about time. Besides Putin seems to be getting along well with Bush, I doubt he would want to jepardise that.
If it is true that Saddam and Usama are good mates; then I caould hardly think the Russians would be too happy, due to Chechnya.

posted on Sep, 10 2002 @ 10:12 AM
link   
if the UN does not back an attack on iraq, you may well see british support scupperred as well. the prime minister here is getting hounded (quite rightly, in my opinion) by the unions for - at a bare minimum - confirmation that we will not go to war without a UN mandate.

to go against the unions would likely be political suicide.

- qo.

posted on Sep, 11 2002 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Yes the Unions are always a problem for a labour government.
We have done our best here to get rid of Unions abd it is working.

posted on Sep, 11 2002 @ 05:20 AM
link   
and that's a good thing. there should be no opposition to a government in power. and the workers don't need a voice, or any political power, right?

for a country that prides itself on its virtues of democracy, america's concept of governance sucks donkey balls.

- qo.

[Edited on 11-9-2002 by quiet one]

posted on Sep, 12 2002 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I think this is stupid why the hell do we the most powerful nation need permission. Yes if we go alone we would lose more men but cmon we are being mocked. We already have Britan,Italy,and Kuwait. Thats more than enough to take care of Saddam. I mean we wouldbe fine by orselves thank God Clinton isnt ere at least we can be off the leash of the UN

posted on Sep, 12 2002 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by quiet one
and that's a good thing. there should be no opposition to a government in power. and the workers don't need a voice, or any political power, right?

for a country that prides itself on its virtues of democracy, america's concept of governance sucks donkey balls.

- qo.

[Edited on 11-9-2002 by quiet one]

Realize where Bush was today QO.

posted on Sep, 12 2002 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Hi,

well, seems to me the Russians are in a tissy because of oil. If the US takes over Iraq as they plan they will soon "privitize" all of the oil reserves and production in Iraq--right now it is governmentally controlled by Saddam. Russia is being cut out of the deal on all fronts from Afghan and the pipeline and on to Iraq, Europe too. No one wants the US to go into Iraq because what's going to happen once Saddam in gone...US control of Iraqi oil. plain and simple. the US wants in for the oil and the rest of the world wants them out because of the oil.

Please folks, human rights and peace are the least important things on these folks minds.

i'm thinking about the US decision to help Russia get this veto power...anyone else thinking of this??? sounds like some dirty ole treason.

posted on Sep, 12 2002 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Even if that was the case, the US getting the oil is better than communist china getting it, imho.

And I really think if it was about the oil they would have taken it during the Gulf War.

I think Russia will end up producing the oil (Iraq does owe them billions) and they will sell it to us.

new topics

top topics

join