It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Right = Nazis?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I was reading a news report about Texas Govenor Perry signing legislation at a religious school. See the link here:

abcnews.go.com...

I don't particularly care where he signs legislation. He can sign it on the moon with no hard feelings. There are a couple of things that concern me, though. He says:

"One of the great myths of our time is that you can't legislate morality," the governor told the ministers, according to a transcript provided to The Associated Press by his campaign.

My concern here would be who's morality is being legislated? It's not mine. And I don't particularly want some radical group legislating what I can and can't do based on THEIR religion, not mine. Nor am I particularly happy in watching them attempt to legislate issues that clearly don't have the support of the majority of Americans.

If nothing else made that fact clear, the Terri Schialvo mess did.

I have no objection to religious people in public life. But I think when you start legislating things that smack of religion, you start down a slippery slope that can lead us where we don't want to go. Some things can and should be personal decisions.

That's another thing that concerns me - there are a whole lot of people in Washington right now who seem more than willing to throw out the constitution to achieve their questionable objectives and control the actions of the populace.

There's a lot of postings on this board about the NWO. Based on their actions, I'd say the Religious Right - who seem determined to gain control and impose their own views - fit right in with the first steps in the rise of the NWO. So is it someone else, or is it them? It's said the Anti-Christ will be someone totally unexpected, and a supposedly good Christian to boot! It's also said that people will follow along blindly until the truth is revealed ...

I think I also agree with the Jewish person who left the country when he said there are some uncomfortable things going on in the United States that smacks of the rise of the Nazis.

What's next - using the Patriot Act to 'disappear' political opponents?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
As a Christian, a Republican and a Veteran, I say today's religious right reminds me more of the Taliban than Nazis. They both want to impose their intolerant views and rules on everyone else. It just doesn't work that way in a liberal democracy.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I agree. What I really don't understand is what their motive is in trying to legislate religious values? What's the end game?

People who don't believe won't follow the law regardless of penalty (prohibition being a fine example), people who do believe will act without the law (the many good and decent people living religious lives in a secular state being a fine example).

What's next - stonings and executions - the resurgence of the Inquisition?

How many times do we have to go through religious wars and upheaval before they learn from history?

Unless it really IS the rise of the NWO ...

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I would have to agree with ECK (did I say that????). I am Christian and republican but do think the religious right has left the planet most times. Of course, anything taken to an extreme usually spells trouble.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Our religious leaders do have their points when talking about the moral decay so widespread in American culture. But, the separation of church and state has served us quite well down through the many years of our existence. Religious values affect everyone who adheres to them. That in turn affects the way we vote. I have no problem with leaving it at that. My biggest fear, letting the religionists rule the roost, is that we could wake up tomorrow and be under the rule of a religion that we find abhorrent. Look back.. OKC.. 9-11.. all it takes to demonise a group is a single act of terror.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memorialday1999
I would have to agree with ECK (did I say that????).

You know you secretly like me.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
is actually a more relevant thread title.

Anyone who calls any other American or American group nazi simply gets put on my ignore list. Come on, it's only been like 60 years (!) since any nazis were in power.

Seriously, though, when this so-called nazi thing "goes down" which secret prison camp do you think you will be interned (or should I say "interred") at?

[edit on 6/12/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
As Lord Acton once wrote, "All political decisions are ultimately moral decisions."

The U.S. Constitution was written by men who were focused on the events of the English Civil War a century before; they were well aware of the problems involved in a state religion. The U.S. does not have one.

However, it does amaze me when people, well, at least the ACLU, cries havoc when the 10 commandments are posted in a public place, or a nativity, or a prayer is offered. I can think of a lot more things to be scared of than a Methodist armed with a Bible tract!

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
It is troubling that politicians are going tis route. More telling than AWAAS's quote is the following paragraph, from the cited link:

"If you can't legislate morality, then you can neither lock criminals up nor let them go free. If you can't legislate morality, you can neither recognize gay marriage nor prohibit it. If you can't legislate morality, you can neither allow for prayer in school nor prevent it," he said. "It is a ridiculous notion to say you can't legislate morality. I say you can't NOT legislate morality."

I'd say that paragraph speaks for itself :shk:

Also, AWingAndASigh, I think your topic would be more effective with a different title. It could either get off-topic or be avoided by those who don't want to get involved in nazi drama. U2U me if you decide on a change

[edit on 12-6-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Atheistic left = communist

Why do people who support the political position of the Religious Right automatically assume that everyone who opposes them is Atheistic? And, isn't it a constitutionally guaranteed right to be one in any case?

The U.S. Constitution was written by men who were focused on the events of the English Civil War a century before; they were well aware of the problems involved in a state religion. The U.S. does not have one.

Since they've been through it already, don't you think it's a good idea if we learn from them instead of just recreating the problem all over again?

What gives the Religious Right the right to legislate MY morality? Especially if said morality has no social consequences except an affront to THEIR religion?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Nazi's used irrational hate of Jews to gain power and legislate Christian morality, Republicans use gays. It's totally different.

And it's not like they recruit from among actual German Nazis, they use David Duke's Neo Nazi/CCC/KKK mailing list.

Plus Gov. Perry didn't say gay veterans should be run out of the country, he just suggested gay veterans should leave Texas.

Apples and slightly different apples. Come on people. Get it reicht!

[edit on 13-6-2005 by RANT]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AWingAndASigh

Atheistic left = communist

Why do people who support the political position of the Religious Right automatically assume that everyone who opposes them is Atheistic? And, isn't it a constitutionally guaranteed right to be one in any case?

OK, I gave you one more chance.

That atheist line was a 'test' to see how you like also having your side painted with such a broad brush stroke. From your response, you obviously didn't like it.

Learn from this before posting something like this again, OK?

The other thing my test shows, is that past their initial sound bite, most lefties have nothing left (get it?)
intellectually. One and done.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
hat atheist line was a 'test' to see how you like also having your side painted with such a broad brush stroke. From your response, you obviously didn't like it.

Broad brush stroke.. kind of like this statement of YOURS?

most lefties have nothing left (get it?)
intellectually.

You make an accusation, and then turn around and do the same exact thing.
To use your own words, I would suggest you...

Learn from this before posting something like this again, OK?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid

Brilliant, ECK, you understand (or do you?) the concepts of irony and sarcasm - which is more than I can say for your little friend that started this thread.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Brilliant, ECK, you understand (or do you?) the concepts of irony and sarcasm - which is more than I can say for your little friend that started this thread.

I can only speak for meself.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Hmmm, Let's see.....

Hitler won the Majority Vote
Hilter was Loved by about 90% of the people
Hitler wasn't a dumbass drunk/cokeaddict
Hitler actually fought in a war,
Hitler was a freaking genius
Hitler wasn't owned by Haliburton or other Big Business
Hitler actually won, hands down, military battles

Bush lost the first election
Bush is loved by about 44% of the people
He is a dumbass who got a DUI in a time where fewer DUIs were given then there were murders, and did more drugs then Cheech and Chong
Bush dodged the war even after getting a cushy job
He's a dumbass
He is owned by Big Business
He still hasn't won in Afganistan, or Iraq

See, nothing alike. Hitler was the far better leader, if it just wasn't for that whole Jew thing.

Of course, Bush won with that kind of fear/hate. "Vote for me or gays will eat your babies."

posted on Jul, 31 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Ah yes, the old fall back on "I was only joking".

posted on Aug, 10 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I have a problem any time someone tosses out the "N word" casually.

I do see the Christian Right (which is actually neither) as moving us towards the very regimes we just got through bombing back into the stone age.

How many times do we have to repeat the mistakes of the past of mixing religion and government (especially a government with the largest military in the world)? I don't know the ultimate answer to that one but I would have to answer by saying "at least one more time".

new topics

top topics

join