It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Students in Philadelphia FORCED to Study Black History for a Year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Every public high school student in Philadelphia is being forced to take a mandatory, year-long class studying nothing but the history and culture of blacks in Africa and the US. (Mind you, this is not a class on world culture, as some schools in the US are offering as an elective.)

Now, if I remember correctly, Philadelphia is not the highest rated public school system in the United States. In fact, it is far from exemplary. However, it is felt by Philadelphia administrators that the African history class is more important than supplementing class time and providing students with desperately needed additional basic reading and math (even arithmetic in some cases) skills in high schools. That additioanl money needed so students could further work on those basic skills will be used for the new manditory African history class. It will make students more rounded and better equipped to face the world as adults, to get a long-term job and to apply for college when they graduate.

Not to mention the social implied message the school system is sending to all other nationalities.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Shouldn't be that study optional? Because what maters is the National history of the country and not otherwise.
So i think that african history should be optional not FORCED!

Crustas

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Whats the problem with having to study US Black History?
Personally, two things here:
1) You should also be made to study American Indian History.
2) To any typical Middle or High School student, having to be "forced" to study anything should be "optional," huh?!

Drink your milk, eat your peas and carrots, and get to hitting those books instead of whining about what you have to do or what you are "forced" to do, k? When you get old enough to get a job and get out on your own, then "optional" can be whatever you so wish it to be.....

seekerof

[edit on 12-6-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
African History should not be forced, however the history of blacks in American (key word-America) should be taught, not as a class, but as part of a class...like hmm maybe that should fall under American History...being that it is.

And yeah, I agree....the time, teachers and money spent should go toward better classes like Math, Science and ENGLISH. I thru that english in there because many people need it...including myself. Im tired of Ebonics this, RedNeck that, Spanglish, etc..etc...

[edit on 12/6/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I bet there are a lot of people who don't give a crap about inner children's education, but tell them they are teaching black history, then all of the sudden it's "Won't someone please think of the children!"

It would sound a little more genuine if they cared about how Johnny couldn't read before this issue came up.

(Not aimed at anyone specific)

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Philadelphia's black population is around 43% yet blacks make up 73% of the public school population.

There are options like private schools and homeschooling. This decision will make these options more popular.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Thats just not right. If we are going to play that little game then why not force the study of American Indians, Hispanics, etc. Yes there are race issues all over the world and the US is not immune to them and has quite their share of problems. But frankly, there is more attitude in this country towards middle eastern backgrounds then anyone else at the moment so shall we all take a year long course on them as well?

Culture and race from around the world should be taught in schools as a general practice. I don't think picking one race is the answer to whatever problem they think this might solve. Glad I am not in PA.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

It would sound a little more genuine if they cared about how Johnny couldn't read before this issue came up.

(Not aimed at anyone specific)

But they do care if Johnny can read.

In 2001, the state of PA took over the Philadelphia school system because it was in such bad shape. The whole system was revamped, teachers underwent intensive training, a innovative curricula was adopted, specialized programs were adopted for "problem" and criminal students (including programs to resocialize them back into the general school population), and partnerships were formed with the local universities, such as UPenn and Temple.

www.phillyneighborhoods.org...

Due to partial-privatization, extra money was available not only for these programs, but to build new schools. Due to federal budget cuts in 2003-2004, some of these programs were in jeopardy, but Philly schools are well on their way to improvement...

Thu, Jul. 22, 2004

Philadelphia students improve test scores
By Martha Woodall
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

In a room overflowing with cheering parents, students, teachers and administrators, Philadelphia School District officials this afternoon announced that student scores on the state's all-important standardized exam showed remarkable improvement.

"It is not just a good afternoon, it is a great afternoon," said James E. Nevels, chairman of the Philadelphia School Reform Commission.

"We are particularly proud that our results outperformed state-wide percentage gains in five out of six categories."

*snip*

"This is the second year of healthy growth," Paul Vallas, schools chief executive officer, said. "But we never imagined that the bounce would be as healthy as it has been."

Vallas noted that the district has a long way to go, but added that the new curriculum tied to state-academic standards, after-school programs for struggling students and curriculum training for teachers had paid off.

www.philly.com...

Along with the innovative curricula that is being adopted in Philly, the move to make African American studies mandatory is being viewed as another way to keep the nearly 70% of African American kids in schools engaged.

By making this course mandatory, the school district is demonstrating it's commitment to issues relevant to the students and the community.

But I am not sure why so many people have a problem with this.

Would people have such an issue with this if European history was a mandatory course (which it is--it's called HISTORY)?

What about Asian History?

Behind German, and Irish, African-American is the third-highest ancestry of Americans. Considering that European history has been mandatory for decades, why wouldn't African American studies be appropriate, especially in a community where the majority of students are African American? Children have been taught an indepth history of Europe for decades because it is part of America's history--shouldn't we also know the history of black people and how they got here too?

Isn't it about time that we drop the last shreds of segregation and finally realize that black history *IS* American history too?

It is true that there other cultures to study (and students are "forced" to study American Indians quite extensively) and Philly students still have four other social studies electives that they need to take in which they can experience other cultures, however African American studies are extremely relevant in this--and every, community.

The push for African-American studies in the city dates back to at least November 1967, when a few hundred students demonstrating outside a school board meeting clashed with police. Under the direction of then-Police Commissioner Frank L. Rizzo, officers clubbed some of the singing students after a few climbed atop cars.

The district's 210,000 students are about 67 percent black, 14 percent Latino, 14 percent white and 5 percent Asian. Three years after a state takeover that brought reform-minded schools chief Paul Vallas from Chicago, test scores are up and new buildings are planned to replace crumbling schools, although violence continues to erupt.

School leaders hope the course will not only keep black students interested in their academic work, but also give other students a more accurate view of history.

"It has an impact on our African-American children, but it also affects children from other cultures. Their perception is often skewed," said Sandra Dungee Glenn, a member of the five-person School Reform Commission that unanimously approved of the requirement this spring.

With a better understanding of each other and history, students will have the "opportunity for better understanding in schools and in the community."
www.phillyburbs.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc

Along with the innovative curricula that is being adopted in Philly, the move to make African American studies mandatory is being viewed as another way to keep the nearly 70% of African American kids in schools engaged.

By making this course mandatory, the school district is demonstrating it's commitment to issues relevant to the students and the community.

But I am not sure why so many people have a problem with this.

Would people have such an issue with this if European history was a mandatory course (which it is--it's called HISTORY)?

Well, first of all, there's something a little perverse about using "trickery" to make kids go to school. And if the student's love it so much, why isn't it incorporated into all the classes so kids will go to them as well as the African history class. I still don't have a clear understanding on how this is going to prepare students to face the world and be productive, contributing members of our society when they graduate when they need so desperately much more basic skills which they obviously need MUCH more help in.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Well i think that it should just be one history class that teaches the history of your country and basic world history. So it will have African history, Indian history and many other cultures all in one.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Philadelphia's black population is around 43% yet blacks make up 73% of the public school population.

There are options like private schools and homeschooling. This decision will make these options more popular.

Interesting...

Philadelphia's (and surrounding suburban) private schools are probably the best in the country. I had no idea that the %s were like that, but it makes total sense what with schools like St Joes prep, Episcopal Acadamy, The Haverford School, Agnes Irwin, Baldwin, etc not to mention the mid level privates.

I still do not agree with having a year long class on Black History. Put it in as part of a broader history class.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
The way I see it this is no different than having to study the bible in English. To understand the majority of English Lit you have to know the bible, but it's not like Jews or Muslims are getting discriminated against. To know American History you have to know about black history. I'd bet that the the history in this class that is strictly african is only there because it is important in relation to their coming to America

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I am sure black people would like to learn about their history, but putting this as a must for all doesn't make sense.
On the contrary, white can look at it as a dirty trick. It just brings more tension. Is this for real? Maybe you should double check this information?

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
In school we are forced to take such pointless subjects as calculus, why not African history? Seems much more relevant.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Well let's face it, the African history - except stone age and Egypt, has zero influence on todays society. That's the reason why it's almost completely useless to teach it, especially mandatory for 1 year.

[edit on 16-6-2005 by longbow]

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Well let's face it, the African history - except stone age and Egypt, has zero influence on todays society. That's the reason why it's almost completely useless to teach it, especially mandatory for 1 year.

Agreed. Especially at the expense of subjects such as math and particularly English and reading which are obviously desperately needed. (I mean, take a look at some of the spelling and grammar on this site alone. No slam intended on anyone.)

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
It is part of the secret luciferian agenda to make you stupid, more irelevant less relevant learning and it even has some sideefefects, people are more angry at the school. And thus lear even less, and they have to make new SAT to avoid mass stupidity tidal wave which will destroy everything, I don't think it is bad subject African history, but doing that and getting rid of the calculus that is bad.
One advice just learn anything, do not take this personal, the worst thing is to be upset it is better to talk more about it.

top topics

join