It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dancer Gregory Hines Dies of Cancer at 57

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Gregory Hines, the greatest tap dancer of his generation who transcended the stage with a successful screen career that included starring roles in "White Nights" and "The Cotton Club," has died at 57.

Hines died of cancer Saturday in Los Angeles, publicist Allen Eichhorn said Sunday.

With his smooth, solo tap style reminiscent of Fred Astaire (news), Hines became internationally known at a young age as part of a jazz tap duo with his brother, Maurice. He won a 1992 Tony Award for the musical "Jelly's Last Jam."

"His dancing came from something very real," said Bernadette Peters (news), who appeared with Hines as co-hosts of the 2002 Tony Awards (news - web sites) show. "It came out of his instincts, his impulses and his amazing creativity. His whole heart and soul went into everything he did."

"He was the last of a kind of immaculate performer � a singer, dancer, actor and a personality," said George C. Wolfe, who directed "Jelly." "He knew how to command."

Yahoo

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 06:53 PM
link   
R.I.P. Gregory Hines

I remember him from many movies, he was very talented. Funny, the first movie that comes to mind when I think of Hines is "History of the World Pt. 1". That was one of the funniest movies of all time IMO. He even showed off his tap-dancing expertise in that movie when he did the "Ethiopian Shim-Sham"
Most people dont know he was a last-minute replacement for Richard Prior in that film.

Others that come to mind are "Running Scared" and "The Cotton Club".

Gregory Oliver Hines was born on Feb. 14, 1946, in New York City. He has said his mother urged him and his older brother toward tap dancing because she wanted them to have a way out of the ghetto. Hines was engaged to Negrita Jayde and, in addition to his father and brother, is survived by his daughter Daria, son Zach and stepdaughter Jessica.

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Man thats sad,
he was a great dancer i liked the guy a lot. R.I.P.

posted on Aug, 10 2003 @ 06:56 PM
link   
That's so sad. What a talented guy. Once again we lose some one who bettered our world...

new topics

top topics

join