It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative NC Republican Calls For Withdrawel From Iraq

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
This morning conservative North Carolina Congressman Walter Jones (R.) was interviewed by George Stephanopolous on ABC's This Week regarding his newfound position on the war in Iraq. YOu may know him - he was the hot for war congressman who championed the change of FRENCH fries to FREEDOM fries.
After writing over 1300 letters to grieving families, attending funerals of our fallen, having to stare these people in the face and based on the fraudulent claims that got us into this war, he has wholeheartedly changed position. He is now calling for congress to devise and implement a plan to withdraw our troops from this quagmire.

I applaud his willingness to re-evaluate his position in light of new evidence and change course. Even if that means going against his own party. I only wish more of them would find it within themselves to look truth in the eye and do what's best for all involved, even if that means saying I WAS WRONG. There is no shame in that.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 02:49 PM
link   
What I want to know is how many other conservatives here who supported the war have come to change their minds on this. And why.

Is the silence here due to the fact that people are just so stubborn that they refuse to acknowledge when they are wrong?

Changing one's mind is NOT weakness. It's quite the opposite.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I applaud him.

Will more follow? Ihope

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I applaud him.

Will more follow? Ihope

HOw can they not? Something has got to give b/c all we are giving is our own flesh and blood and treasure upon the alter of big oil wet dreams. And getting NOTHING in return.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I applaude anyone to does what they think is right, but thats does not mean that he has made a correct choice. I feel he is looking for media attention.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boatphone
I applaude anyone to does what they think is right, but thats does not mean that he has made a correct choice. I feel he is looking for media attention.

I'm sure the congressman would beg to differ. Had you heard his reasoning, it might even have brought a tear to your eyes.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
I'm sure the congressman would beg to differ. Had you heard his reasoning, it might even have brought a tear to your eyes.

what is his reasoning??? tell tell... tell me please...

so.. what he said?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   

After writing over 1300 letters to grieving families, attending funerals of our fallen, having to stare these people in the face and based on the fraudulent claims that got us into this war, he has wholeheartedly changed position. He is now calling for congress to devise and implement a plan to withdraw our troops from this quagmire.

He admitted that the rationale for going to war was FALSE. And now, being one of the only congressmen to take it upon himself to write letters to families of the fallen, he can no longer support the administration's position. He says it is wrong. And we must find a sensible way to bring our troops home. (Not to just pull-out, but to figure out the smartest, most efficient pull-out possible.)

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Yes. In my opinion withdrawing from Iraq now would be reckless, irresponsible, and truly waste all the lives and resources already spent on the operation.

IMHO this case is a great example of the Ann quote I have in my signature presently.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Yes. In my opinion withdrawing from Iraq now would be reckless, irresponsible, and truly waste all the lives and resources already spent on the operation.

IMHO this case is a great example of the Ann quote I have in my signature presently.

Well, with all due respect, I won't tell you what I think of her. As a Republican and a vet.

Read my comments regarding his statements. No one here is suggesting a quick, irresponsible withdrawel.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
So true, even John Kerry knew that withdrawing from Iraq early would be a complete travesty. It would be an insult to the men and women who have given thier lives. And it would lead to a sharp rise in terrorism!

The congressman i'm sure has offended many families...

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think there is a difference between supporting a war and knowing when it is over. I supported the war and that has not changed. I do think thought that we did what we wanted to do and now why are we staying? I think many republicans find themselves wondering what is keeping us there. I it somewhat like a business plan in which many may agree on but how it is implemented is not agreed on. I personally think once it was clear that the war was over in about days that we were ok to stay and help clean things up a bit but enough is enough. They Iraq people voted in a gov't, let them deal with their issues. If our purpose was to overthrow Sadam and look for mass weapons, while, it over. Sadam got ousted and we can't find the nukes so lets pack it up and move on to other problems. I don't think that position changes the original support.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   

The congressman i'm sure has offended many families...

Quite the opposite. He is actually starting to hear what they're saying. And these are North Carolinians. Some of the reddest of red state citizens. There are few states in this nation more pro military & active in it than North Carolina.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Freedom Fries............

Man talk about a turn around in a way of thinking. To bad we cant vote him for TWATS

It is becoming more clear to the American public every day that the war in Iraq is not worth the cost.

DJ, why are there no good Democrates? Im a regestered Dem. I have a young daughter and a stable marriage. I go to school and work during the day. I attempt to live a life that is kind and respectfull to others. What is not good about that?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memorialday1999
I think there is a difference between supporting a war and knowing when it is over. I supported the war and that has not changed. I do think thought that we did what we wanted to do and now why are we staying? I think many republicans find themselves wondering what is keeping us there. I it somewhat like a business plan in which many may agree on but how it is implemented is not agreed on. I personally think once it was clear that the war was over in about days that we were ok to stay and help clean things up a bit but enough is enough. They Iraq people voted in a gov't, let them deal with their issues. If our purpose was to overthrow Sadam and look for mass weapons, while, it over. Sadam got ousted and we can't find the nukes so lets pack it up and move on to other problems. I don't think that position changes the original support.

You BREAK it, you FIX it.

If we just had to do this, we should have done it right. Now we are stuck with the consequences of piss poor planning.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
Man talk about a turn around in a way of thinking. To bad we cant vote him for TWATS

Yeah, really.

DJ, why are there no good Democrates? Im a regestered Dem. I have a young daughter and a stable marriage. I go to school and work during the day. I attempt to live a life that is kind and respectfull to others. What is not good about that?

That's pure rhetorical bunk. As a former fire-breathing conservative Republican I will just point to you as a good example of how ignorant such talk it. There are some Republicans out there who are as slimy as they come. Evil does not reside in one party or another. It lies in the heart of man.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I'm sorry ECK but we are only in the business of breaking things, not fixing them, try the UN, they have nothing better to do with their time.

Just kidding, really, just kidding.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

Ann Coulter is a bit over-the-top and her quote not mine...there are some good Democrats I admit, like Zell Miller.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

That's pure rhetorical bunk. As a former fire-breathing conservative Republican I will just point to you as a good example of how ignorant such talk it. There are some Republicans out there who are as slimy as they come. Evil does not reside in one party or another. It lies in the heart of man.

I just thought of something. What if Ann lipservice C is actually reffering to the Neocons who use to be Democrates but were ostensibly ran out of the party for bieng fringist, when talking about the few 'bad Republ;cans'?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memorialday1999
I'm sorry ECK but we are only in the business of breaking things, not fixing them, try the UN, they have nothing better to do with their time.

Just kidding, really, just kidding.

So true. Seems we are the best in the world at breaking things and destryoying property.

Don't even get me started on those limpdyk-led blue helmets!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join