It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calcium on the Moon

page: 1

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 11:29 AM

The X-ray spectrometer on the SMART-1 spacecraft has made the first remote-sensing detection of calcium on the surface of the Moon.

This was not a surprise, as scientists already knew that calcium is an important building block in lunar rocks. Other chemical elements spotted by their X-ray glow were aluminum, silicon and iron.

The detections are part of the current verification and calibration phase for SMART-1, which was launched in September 2003. The European spacecraft has taken a circuitous path to the Moon but is now orbiting our rocky satellite – 280 miles (450 kilometers) above the surface at closest approach.

SMART-1’s X-ray spectrometer, D-CIXS, measures the X-rays from the Sun that reflect off the lunar surface. Elements on the ground can be detected by the fact that they each absorb particular frequencies in X-ray light.

Researchers plan to make a map of the elemental abundances across the Moon’s globe. The detection of calcium was made in the dark lunar basin known as Mare Crisium. The observation was aided by a coincidental solar flare.

“The Sun was kind to us,” said Manuel Grande of the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, and leader of the D-CIXS instrument team. “It set off a large X-ray flare just as we took our first look downwards at the lunar surface.”

I think this is perfect proof that the moon is made out of cheese. Many have debunked this theory, but this brings it back alive IMO.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:35 AM
I wonder how useful a mineral map of the moon could be...
I can't think of any uses except the testing of that and perhaps for future refrence, but mmm...cheese.
Hmmm, but what kind of cheese?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:01 AM
well the moon is grey, so it isnt cheddar. could be mozzarella but its too dark. also, mozzerlla oesnt glow in the its gotta be radio-active blue cheese. becasue it glows at night. and its very very old.

new topics