It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US denies French fighters emergency landing rights in a critical situation

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
How are we placing your lives above others?

If it is was british harriers they would be allowed to land, therefore you value our lives over theres.

And DW I said that out of common sense the Air Base would have had no choice but to let them land if there was no other airport nearby, they wouldn't just let them drop out of the sky.

Really?
So sure about that?

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   
What makes you think British planes would have been granted clearance to land? If they didn't have the landing authorization codes and it wasn't an emergency life-or-death situation they wouldn't have been allowed to land either. Period.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
What makes you think British planes would have been granted clearance to land?

I asked....

If they didn't have the landing authorization codes and it wasn't an emergency life-or-death situation they wouldn't have been allowed to land either. Period.

How can runing out of fuel be a "non life threatenining" situation?

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   
It wasn't a life threatening situation because they were within range of an alternate airport. In fact it seems the other airport was even closer to them.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   

It wasn't a life threatening situation because they were within range of an alternate airport. In fact it seems the other airport was even closer to them.

So you'd have them land at a non secure airport compared to a totally secured airport?

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
All commercial international airports are secured by the Federal government, there's no reason that these planes needed any additional special treatment from the military.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   

All commercial international airports are secured by the Federal government, there's no reason that these planes needed any additional special treatment from the military.

They are forign jets, military jets.
Would you like it if we made an F22 land in prestwick airport instead of RAF Leuchars?

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:36 AM
link   
I doubt our military would be in such a situation to be flying over foreign territory without getting permission to land at foreign bases ahead of time if necessary. But if this was the policy of the government, I wouldn't mind, I don't really see a problem here.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   

I doubt our military would be in such a situation to be flying over foreign territory without getting permission to land at foreign bases ahead of time if necessary.

So now your calling the french military inadique for not getting codes.

But if this was the policy of the government, I wouldn't mind, I don't really see a problem here.
You dont see the problem of a military jet landing at an unsecure airport?

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
My point is, the French pilots asked the US airbase controllers if they could land, got a flat no and some dumb reason, without any effort from the US controller to help direct them towards the civillian airport. And as devilwasp said, they were military jets, and should be parked in military bases. If a F-22 landed in a French airport, you wouldn't be happy at all, after all Chinese spies could just walk over pretending to be a civillian and steal all the sensitive equipment onboard.

The French is the US's enemy? Just because they didn't want to go to Iraq to fight a war with you guys means that they are your enemies? You should say America controls the world and rules over the world and anyone not supporting them in Iraq will be considered as an enemy.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I'm not familiar with the conditions at the airport you mentioned, but Atlantic City International Airport is a large facility and the French planes were provided space in a secure, government area and provided with security. It's not like they were parked in the lot between a couple of SUVs with anyone able to come up to them and steal parts of them...sheesh... it's obvious you people are blowing this non-event up all out of proportion to fit your preconceived sterotypical view of the U.S. to fulfill some personal agenda. :shk:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Iam not sure but I seem to recall not to long ago the French denied the USA to use their Airbases. Does anyone recall that?

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Ok, I'll end it as that, but the point is US air controllers did not attempt to help guide the French pilots towards the civillian airport, but just said they couldn't land at the AFB. It was by luck that the French pilots managed to contact the civillian airport.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
Ok, I'll end it as that, but the point is US air controllers did not attempt to help guide the French pilots towards the civilian airport, but just said they couldn't land at the AFB. It was by luck that the French pilots managed to contact the civilian airport.

Hey pull your head out! DID you even read my post!! Are you a pilot? If you are, you would know this to be a non-issue! There is nothing in any of the articles to support your supposition that:

It was by luck that the French pilots managed to contact the civilian airport.

You are just "grasping at straws", in a vain attempt to justify your bias. McGuire control passed them off to Atlantic City ATC.
McGuire control would not handle approach for a CIVILIAN AIRPORT 50 MILES AWAY

Look at this link: maps.google.com...,2.278067&saddr=Plumsted,+NJ&daddr=Atlantic+City+International+Airport&hl=en

Right below Plumsted, NJ is a purple blotch. That is McGuire AFB/ Ft. Dix. The Red marker is the location of Atlantic City International Airport (I believe they are ACY). Their approach put ACY closer than McGuire AFB, by 50 miles.

This thread has become ridiculous, I hope the MODS lock this one down.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Just a quick comment and a question.

Has anyone mentioned that the have done this same thing to us?

Now the comment.

Since when does a foriegn aircraft, even in an emergency, get to dictate to the US which airport they're going to land at? There were obviously options, and we said no to landing in a military base. Sent them to a different airport, which they got to with no problem. Now people are upset the French didn't get to choose where to land?

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
That's how it gos when Miterand plays Cat and Mouse with the US Nation.
U.S. Airforce didn't even take the gloves off.

That's how it gos..or havn't you heard les friendship means less than business as usual.. France is a lesser nation trying to bind with likes of Germany and Britain. No power just a security seat on the UN Council which really does make-m a big deal (in Europe).

The U.S. and it's Military might can shake them at a simple flick of the thumb.

Dallas

[edit on 14-6-2005 by Dallas]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
People are making this a bigger deal than it deserves to be. They landed in an Airport their planes were secure and that's the end of it. But no were upset because they did not get to choose where to land.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Still debating on this one lol, no one got hurt, aircarft didn't got destoryed, everyone's ok what part that people don't get? there is no cover-ups and stuff and besides when did the US said France said they can do what they want in US airspace?

[edit on 14-6-2005 by ulshadow]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I rest my case. After all, the french pilots and aircraft are all still safe.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Jeez people - read up on thee Paris Convention and later Chicago Conventions:

Article 25 --- Aircraft in distress
Each contracting State undertakes to provide such measures of
assistance to aircraft in distress in its territory as it may find
practicable, and to permit, subject to control by its own authorities, the
owners of the aircraft or authorities of the State in which the aircraft is
registered to provide such measures of assistance as may be necessitated by
the circumstances. Each contracting State, when undertaking search for
missing aircraft, will collaborate in coordinated measures which may be
recommended from time to time pursuant to this Convention.

and...

Article 10 --- Landing at customs airport
Except in a case where, under the terms of this Convention or a special
authorization, aircraft are permitted to cross the territory of a
contracting State without landing, every aircraft which enters the territory
of a contracting State shall, if the regulations of that State so require,
land at an airport designated by that State for the purpose of customs and
other examination. On departure from the territory of a contracting State,
such aircraft shall depart from a similarly designated customs airport.
Particulars of all designated customs airports shall be published by the
State and transmitted to the International Civil Aviation Organization
established under Part II of this Convention for communication to all other
contracting States.

Simple - routed to appropriate "customs" capable airport, cuz they need to check in and say "nothing to declare except my skinny America hating French tushie...."

Probably was fuel type related as well - nesie pazz..??

I like french fries

[edit on 14-6-2005 by UofCinLA]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join