It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US denies French fighters emergency landing rights in a critical situation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Its not a rule we don't have to allow the French to land at our Air bases "unwritten rules" can be followed or not its up to the commander, on the base.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hockeyguy567
but since 9/11/01, the US must be very careful on who they allow to land, and the French ARE NOT allies of the US, they have always been jealous of the US.
lol yeah ok, the French are just dying to be in our shoes right now...

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
They sure are they still want to believe we live in the middle ages when France was a Super Power and important.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Its not a rule we don't have to allow the French to land at our Air bases "unwritten rules" can be followed or not its up to the commander, on the base.

Thats besides the point....the point is you refused acess.
Regs or no regs they wherent allowed.

Originally posted by WestPoint23
They sure are they still want to believe we live in the middle ages when France was a Super Power and important.

Really?
I'd say thats your opinion and not reality...but hey believe what you want.....

[edit on 26/02/2005 by devilwasp]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The Americans were well within their rights to deny an enemy the right to land.

This is the new cold war ladies and gents, its all about resourses and the french are on the opposing team now...

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rustiswordz

This is the new cold war ladies and gents, its all about resourses and the french are on the opposing team now...

Enemy?
Last time I checked they wherent an enemy.
The "new cold war" is still the old one, just that the USSR isnt the main target.

Also "opposing" team?
You relise we have a military pact with them that is comeing up to a hundred years old right?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
While I find this whole situation intriguing, I wonder just how much the lack of cooperation by the French in the Iraq war actually had to do with this. Afterall, just days ago the French carrier Charles de Gaulle was in port at Norfolk, VA alongside 3 US aircraft carriers. There was plenty of cooperation then...
See Jetsetter's post on this: French carrier in Norfolk

In fact, there are photos on the French Ministry of Defense web site showing US F-18's on the de Gaulle and French Rafale fighter jets on the USS Eisenhower.
www.defense.gouv.fr...

This being the case I find it difficult to fathom that the turning away of the French jets to a civilian US airport was due to political payback or animosity.

Does anyone know what the French jets' proximity to the Air Force Base was as opposed to how close they were to the civilian airport?

Could it have been fuel related? Most USAF jets use JP-4 and JP-8 where as Navy jets (even our NATO friends) use JP-5. Could it be then, that McGuire AFB did not have enough JP-5 fuel for several thirsty Super Entendard fighters jets? A fuel that would be in abundance at a civilian/general aviation airport...

These are the kind of questions that Dave Lindorff should have asked before posting an accusatory article such as this.

[edit on 6/12/2005 by bios]

loq

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
very good points brought up.
i think we mite of had some stuff out that we dident want the french to see.
who knows?
they landed safely
thats all that really matters

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Btw what were the Canadians and the French doing off the American coast anyway? Both Canada and France have their own coasts.

And while you're at it, what are the Americans doing off the coasts of every major landmass on the globe?

Countries in Which US Military Bases are Located (PDF)

You'll note we have bases in France and Canada, among other nations.

-koji K.

The U.S has bases in other countries because those governments let us have bases there.

[edit on 13-6-2005 by NWguy83]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex

Mc Guire called up every neocon in Washington during those few minutes and took a vote to see if the French aircraft could land...

That first line was mainly aimed at the "France is not an ally" and similar comments in here.

The France-bashing is getting downright repulsive.

The French have been bashing America a lot longer than America has been bashing France. But you probably find it completely acceptable when its the French doing the bashing...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by rustiswordz

Enemy?
Last time I checked they wherent an enemy.
The "new cold war" is still the old one, just that the USSR isnt the main target.

Also "opposing" team?
You relise we have a military pact with them that is comeing up to a hundred years old right?

Maybe you have a learning disablity, but where the hell have you been the past 2 years, haven't you noticed the constant french undermining?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hockeyguy567
Maybe you have a learning disablity, but where the hell have you been the past 2 years, haven't you noticed the constant french undermining?

Undermining?
All they have done is voiced opinions.
They are on the same team, how do I know this?
Because we(UK/france) have an agreement with them that says if we get into a war we WILL help them, this treaty is comeing up to a centuary old.
Are you calling them an enemy because they dont side with you on EVERYTHING?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Crikey, not since the Tonkin Gulf has so much fuss been made over such a small incident, and I think that the real story here has been completely missed. I think that we should attempt to get hold of the voice transcripts because I feel they would show this story in an entirely different light and go something like this:

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "Garlic Bread Frogs Legs Flight, This is Garlic Bread Frogs Legs Lead, I have a problem. My fuel light is showing and more importantly, I have also just realised that its been six weeks since I have done any womanising !! I am declaring an emergency!"

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "Mayday Mayday Mayday, This is Capitaine Jean Luc Moules-Mariniere of Garlic Bread Frogs Legs one, I have a flight of Nine Super Double Entendre's and one Weather Testing Aircraft from the French Aircraft Carrier 'Boeuf Bourgignon'. We are declaring an emergency!!! Nasty black clouds have forced us to expend all our fuel trying to find our way home, we are dangerously low on fuel and must land immediately. Please help us?!"

McGuire AFB Control: (Heavy Southern Drawl): "Well Howdy Captain Moules-Mariniere, how y'all doin today? My Name is Lieutenant Dan McBurger-King, I have you on ma scope type thingy here and can offer you the complete hospitality and services of McGuire Air Force Base, in this fine old state of New Jersey."

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "Oh, Tres Bon Lt McBurger-King. You are definitely a lifesaver. What facilities do you offer?"

McGuire AFB Control: (Heavy Southern Drawl) Weeeeell, we got all the fuel you can possibly need here, we're used to our big old US engines, so your little old quaint European ones wont need half as much, so no worries there, plus there aint no duty tax on it here like you boys have got !!! In fact, I reckon we got some spare F-15's round the back that you could take away if you want em, we dont need em anymore on account of the new F-22 'Raptors' that we are gettin soon, an they're just a clutterin up the place anyhow."

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "That sounds fantastique Lt McBurger-King, what about recreational activities, my pilots and I are very stressed and in need of some home comforts"

McGuire AFB Control: (Heavy Southern Drawl) Ho ho, there aint no worries there neither, Its Saturday night and we tend to cut loose pretty good round here !

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) Magnifique, I guess I could allow my pilots a little, how you say, 'R&R' ?!

McGuire AFB Control: (Heavy Southern Drawl) "Well we'll get it all ready for you then! We'll start off with loads of frothy weak beer, then we'll get the biggest steak you ever done seen, creeeeeemayte the living hell out of it and then serve it up with more French Fries than it would take to feed the average household for eight months!!! Hey, Y'all should get a kick out of them French Fries, be just like a little taste of home for ya eh ?"

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "Oh Mon Dieu"

McGuire AFB Control: (Heavy Southern Drawl) "Then its off to the 'O' Club for the night, where we tend to just relax, sit round chattin bout this and that, and trying to sweet talk the available woman"

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "Oh, Tres Bon, Tres Bon, you have women there at least, what are they like ? do they like the foreign men with the outrageous french accents, poor hygiene who insist on pinching every female bottom within a three mile radius? Does this 'O' stand for anything sexy, if you get my meaning?"

McGuire AFB Control: (Heavy Southern Drawl) "No, Y'all must have heard me wrong, I said available WOMAN. Her names Capt Velma Crab-Crotch, she's from Pigs Knuckle, Arkansas and she works in the motor pool, she can bench press the spare wheel of a Humvee more times than any man I know and she's real game ! Now you ask me, I dont rightly know what the 'O' stands for, but its only for officers so I guess it probably stands for ........................ 'Organised'?!"

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "Oh, maybe we could go into town?"

McGuire AFB Control: (Heavy Southern Drawl) "Town, TOWN !? Jeeesh Capitaine, why the hack and darnation would you wanna do something like that, its over three hundred miles and all there is the filling station, The 'Salmonella' food mart and the bowlin alley, and that burned down two year ago!

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "Merde"

McGuire AFB Control: (Heavy Southern Drawl) "Anyways, I'll send you the vectors that will bring you in on runway 2 right"

Capitaine Jean Luc Moules-Mariniere leans forward desperately turning every available dial and knob on his radio

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "Lt McBurger-King.........Lt McBurger-King, I appear to be losing you, you are breaking up (makes lots of static noises and chirping)"

McGuire AFB Control: (Heavy Southern Drawl) "Capitaine Moules-Mariniere ?.............. Capitaine Moules-Mariniere !?!?! Garlic Bread Frogs Legs one, I repeat, Garlic Bread Frogs Legs one are you there ?!

Silence comes to the control tower of McGuire AFB once more.

Meanwhile, aboard Garlic Bread Frogs Legs one, Capitaine Jean Luc Moules-Mariniere finally locates another frequency

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "Mayday Mayday Mayday, This is Capitaine Jean Luc Moules-Mariniere of Garlic Bread Frogs Legs one, I have a flight of Nine Super Double Entendre's and one Weather Testing Aircraft from the French Aircraft Carrier 'Boeuf Bourgignon'. We are declaring an emergency!!! Nasty black clouds have forced us to expend all our fuel trying to find our way home, we are dangerously low on fuel and must land immediately. Please help us?!"

Atlantic City Control: (Educated Harvard Nasal Twang) "Hello Garlic Bread Frogs Legs one this is Atlantic City Control, I have you on my scope, how may I assist you Capitaine Moules-Mariniere ?"

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "Oh, thank you for helping us, I have a flight badly in need of fuel and some rest for the night"

Atlantic City Control: (Educated Harvard Nasal Twang) "Ah, This is senior controller Rob U Blind. I am afraid that we are a civilian airfield and as such are unable to help! The risk of allowing fully armed fighter aircraft anywhere within our perimiter is way beyond the safety regulations of the city and the state. I am sorry, but there is absolutely no possible way that we can allow you to land "

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "But please monsiuer, we are desperate"

Atlantic City Control: (Educated Harvard Nasal Twang) "I repeat, do not attempt any form of landing here, it is against all of our laws and as thus, you will be prosecuted within the full auspices of the law. Added to this I have a hotline to McGuire Airforce Base, and at a second can request air support to deal in a lethal manner with any situation which arises. The interceptors are armed with F-15's, the finest air superiority fighter in the world, they will easily make short work of your super double entendres so I say for the last time, under no circumstances attempt to land !!!"

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "But we are desperate, and have the facility to pay for any and all services rendered, I will be backed in my decision by the full resources of the Government of France, I have most major credit cards too!"

Atlantic City Control: (Educated Harvard Nasal Twang) "Well why didnt you say so ?! Hell yes, of course you can land. I will personally meet you on the apron after you touch down, unfortunately you will be required to pay the mandatory landing charge of $10,000 per aircraft, as well as a special charge we are having this week on Asphalt Damage, which will be a separate bill of $20,000 paid directly to me as I am organising the whole project."

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) Pas De Probleme Monsieur Blind. Tell me, do you have any good hotels ? what is the food like, and are there any other comforts?"

Atlantic City Control: (Educated Harvard Nasal Twang) "Of course Capitaine, we have some of the finest hotels in the world, the food has been compared to Parisienne cooking at its best, and our women are amazing, they are imported from all over the world drawn by the scent of money and exotic experiences, they must be seen to be believed, and their 'talents', oh my"

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "Garlic Bread Frogs Legs Flight, This is Garlic Bread Frogs Legs Lead, advance to full throttle, use of full afterburner is approved. Follow me !"

GBFL1: (Heavy French Accent) "Atlantic City Control, We are on finals and looking forward to landing"

Atlantic City Control: (Educated Harvard Nasal Twang) "No problems, and i'd like to thank you for choosing Atlantic City as the site for your state funded vacation.........I mean fuel related emergency"

Note: Please dont anybody take offence due to any of the sweeping, stereotypical characterisations here, they are all meant to be fictitious and as thus dont exist, or do they ?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
When someone talks of history and some insignificant events that caused Franco-American friction, i hope they look at the complete picture.

The way i see it, America must be eternally indebted to France as French aid was a very very significant reason(arguably the sole most important reason) for American Independence.

And in a way, to see the way the French have been treated in the independant state they created(for all practical purposes) is nothing short of a brutal betrayal

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'd like to point out that the F-111 insident was an act of war against another nation. Here french (again) demonstrated not to go along with that and I admire that. This emergency landing on the other hand was between two nations who are in peace and allies so there isn't a comparison to the F-111 incident.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
one of the pilots tried to buy fuel and couldn't because he didn't have the available funds on his credit card,

Sounds like someone needs to pay thier bills.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stealth Spy
When someone talks of history and some insignificant events that caused Franco-American friction, i hope they look at the complete picture.

The way i see it, America must be eternally indebted to France as French aid was a very very significant reason(arguably the sole most important reason) for American Independence.

And in a way, to see the way the French have been treated in the independant state they created(for all practical purposes) is nothing short of a brutal betrayal

They recieved their payback long ago - war 1812-1814 against common enemy (UK), American involvementy in WWI, WWII (when especially WWI really wasn't american war)...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Is that a justification for such an uncorteous act ?

I am no expert on history, but why is it there is always an undercurrent of hate for the French in the British. ??

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Just read the bios post. The de Gaulle was in Norfolk port few days ago, so really it highly unlikely the plane was redirected because of political reasons. In such case the carrier would be not even allowed to enter US port, don't you think?

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Its not like the French were so keen on helping out the colonial sates just for our freedom. They waned to undermine and defeat the British and by helping us they tried to accomplish that, the enemy of my enemy is my friend. Besides they have been repaid many times.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join