It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Blast Derails Train in Moscow

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 12:44 AM
link   
A train en route to Moscow from Chechnya was derailed by an explosion today, injuring at least ten passengers. Officials say early investigations indicate a technical problem, not terrorism. But the province of Chechnya is in the midst of an Islamic civil uprising and has been known to perpetrate attacks like this in the past.

www.theglobeandmail.com
Moscow — A passenger train traveling from Chechnya to Moscow derailed on Sunday morning, injuring 10 people, emergency officials said.

Russian news agencies had initially reported that an explosion hit the train, and they noted that the incident occurred on a national holiday, Day of Russia. Many Chechen rebel attacks have been timed for significant Russian holidays.

However, citing authorities in the Moscow region, where the incident occurred, the ITAR-Tass and Interfax news agencies later reported that a preliminary investigation indicated a technical cause.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Moscow is saying now that it's not a terror attack, but they seem to have a history of covering up such attacks at least temporarily such in the plane attacks last year. Let's just hope the injuries aren't more extensive than already reported.

[edit on 6/12/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Why are they quickly saying it's not a terror attack?

How would they know?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I don't know, smells fishy to me. I wouldn't be surprised if this does turn out to be a terrorist attack.

The injury toll has climbed from two to ten, since the story wasn't upgraded yet, I was able to update the original story.

ExD

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
You should check original source, because your source is inaccurate(no offence):
www.itar-tass.com...

According to preliminary reports, four carriages of the passanger train No 381 following en route from Grozny to Moscow at the Uzunovo station in the Kashira district of the Moscow region 140 kilometres from Moscow derailed on Sunday.

According to preliminary data, the derailment of the Grozny-Moscow train carriages occurred as a result of an explosion of the tracks.

“According to the train driver, an explosion occurred on railway tracks in front of the train,” spokeswoman for the FSB security service of Russia Diana Shemyakina said.

Fifteen people have been injured in the accident, spokesman for the Russian Ministry of Emergency Situations Viktor Beltsov said. He specified, “Thirteen passengers with light injuries got medical aid at the site.” “Another two hurt children were rushed to the Central District Hospital of Serebryanye Prudy. The boy has a leg fracture and the girl has a scald,” Beltsov said. There have been no killed in the incident.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Djohnsto77, I suppose the Russians should automatically lash out and blame the first people that spring to mind when they are attacked huh? Heaven forbid they should investigate what happend BEFORE shooting their mouths off and crying foul before they know what happend. If it was terrorists they will announce the fact when they have investigated it.

Get a grip you terrormonger.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Djohnsto77, I suppose the Russians should automatically lash out and blame the first people that spring to mind when they are attacked huh? Heaven forbid they should investigate what happend BEFORE shooting their mouths off and crying foul before they know what happend. If it was terrorists they will announce the fact when they have investigated it.

Get a grip you terrormonger.

I find your statement insulting.

I never said anything about retaliation. I simply reported the facts, with my opinion that it could be a terrorist attack even though early Russian statements didn't say so.

I think you're the one who should get a grip subz.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
I find your statement insulting.

I never said anything about retaliation. I simply reported the facts, with my opinion that it could be a terrorist attack even though early Russian statements didn't say so.

I think you're the one who should get a grip subz.

I said " I suppose" not that you said they should retaliate. It was based on your position of assuming that terrorists are to blame and that some how the Russians are being "fishy" by not jumping to the same conclusion.

Its my opinion that the Russians (any country for that matter) should investigate what happend first before crying "terrorist". You are doing nothing but adding to the already rampant paranoia surrounding terrorism. Thats what you need to get a grip on.

It wasnt meant to be insulting, it was my opinion based on the facts

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ExD
You should check original source, because your source is inaccurate(no offence):

Not at the time it was posted it was not inaccurate. The link you furnished is 8 hours older then the one DJ posted. That alone accounts for some of the changes.

How would you like it if someone used your link five, six or eight hours from now and told you that your source was inaccurate

[edit on 6/12/2005 by shots]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots

Originally posted by ExD

Not at the time it was posted it was not inaccurate. The link you furnished is 8 hours older then the one DJ posted. That alone accounts for some of the changes.

How would you like it if someone used your link five, six or eight hours from now and told you that your source was inaccurate

[edit on 6/12/2005 by shots]

Its a good thing we spend so much time on ATSNN arguing about sources and typos.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Its my opinion that the Russians (any country for that matter) should investigate what happend first before crying "terrorist". You are doing nothing but adding to the already rampant paranoia surrounding terrorism. Thats what you need to get a grip on.

It wasnt meant to be insulting, it was my opinion based on the facts

What facts would those be subz? The NYT is reporting that russian officals have stated it was terrorist related.

MOSCOW, June 12 - A bomb derailed a passenger train traveling from Chechnya to Moscow today, injuring at least 15 people in what officials described as a terrorist attack.

NYT Article

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
BBC news is saying that officials are treating as a suspected terrorist attack.

I guess they still need to look into it more.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

What facts would those be subz? The NYT is reporting that russian officals have stated it was terrorist related.

shots, I was talking about the fact that djohnsto77 was jumping to conclusions, not whether or not it was a terrorist act.

Whether or not it was a terrorist incident is for the Russian government to say.

[edit on 12/6/05 by subz]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

shots, I was talking about the fact that djohnsto77 was jumping to conclusions, not whether or not it was a terrorist act.

Whether or not it was a terrorist incident is for the Russian government to say.

[edit on 12/6/05 by subz]

No not really by defintion terrorism is an act of violence by a single person or a group. I think you are trying to split a fine line here between international terrisom; however by definition the act alone was an act of a terrorist assuming there was only one or terrorism if there were more then one individuals.

Take PETA, they are terrorist are they not?

See what I am getting at? You cannot split hairs because by defintion what PETA suporters do or terrorist cells do are actually one and the same; all they want to do is strike fear into those they oppose.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
You're missing my point entirely. I wasnt commenting on whether or not I even thought it was a terrorist attack. I was talking soley about him jumping to conclusions. The way the Russians dont jump to conclusions with things like this, I find, to be be comendable.

Putting terrorism to the fore instead of even entertaining the idea that it could of been an accident is wrong. It does nothing but perpetuate this unfounded climate of fear we seem to like to indulge in.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Putting terrorism to the fore instead of even entertaining the idea that it could of been an accident is wrong. It does nothing but perpetuate this unfounded climate of fear we seem to like to indulge in.

But DJ did not put it to the fore, you did.

He clearly stated "I simply reported the facts, with my opinion that it could be a terrorist attack even though early Russian statements didn't say so."

As you can clearly see he reported the facts with his opinion nothing more.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   

But DJ did not put it to the fore, you did.

Can you read?

Moscow is saying now that it's not a terror attack, but they seem to have a history of covering up such attacks at least temporarily such in the plane attacks last year.

Thats from the opening post. How did I bring terrorism to the fore before he did?

He is clearly implying that Moscow is "covering up" such terrorist attacks.

I don't know, smells fishy to me. I wouldn't be surprised if this does turn out to be a terrorist attack.

The injury toll has climbed from two to ten, since the story wasn't upgraded yet, I was able to update the original story.

Yet again he says something is "fishy" implying again that Moscow is covering up this "terrorist attack". All this before I have even posted in the thread.

He clearly stated "I simply reported the facts, with my opinion that it could be a terrorist attack even though early Russian statements didn't say so."

Well duh, his opinion is what I was talking about all along if you would read what I wrote. My posts were surrounding djohnsto77's opinion that Russia is covering up terrorist attacks.

I am of the opinion that not jumping to conclusions and finding out what actually happend is the better course of action. Not shouting "terrorism" at every explosion or terrible accident is something most countries could learn from here.

That my opinion directly conflicts with djohnsto77's is why I bothered posting. It wasnt because I didnt think this was a terrorist attack, it might very well be a terrorist attack. Its the presumption of terrorism (which is what the terrorists aim for!) that annoys me. We all live in this constant state of fear and we have only ourselves to blame for it.

As you can clearly see he reported the facts with his opinion nothing more.

Like I said, its his opinion I had issue with and what I call being a "terrormonger". You taking issue with me taking issue with his opinion is whats "fishy" to me. Cant he defend his own opinion?

[edit on 13/6/05 by subz]

ExD

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   

The link I furnished was created after 1 hour after explosion, time that you've seen is Moscow time(GMT +3) because ITAR-TASS is russian new agency. Source, that djohnsto77 used, twist facts, and I also find his words insulting.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Can we stop the bickering? This is the news forum gang, not Slugfest.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Ever notice the pattern associated with bickering beginning with subz's conjectural, asinine comments?

Granted, people are entitled to disagree with or dispute others' posts but in subz's case, his ill-conceived, sometimes insulting, posts are inviting provocative, disagreeable reactions from few others needlessly in every ATSNN thread.

ANYHOOOO.... it seem odd that upon refreshing the ATS.com forum just a few minutes ago, I got a TA-ALARM headliner from this thread even though it was few days old TA-ALARM newsflash. I was under the impression that terrorists have struck Moscow's rails once again.

[edit on 6/14/2005 by the_oleneo]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Can I ask why a five day old story was brought to an alarm status today?

Just wondering.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join