It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Energy Forcefeild

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Does anyone think it would ever be possible to create an energy forcefield such as in star wars to block lasers, and possibly even normal bullets? I think it will be possible against lasers, to the point where the two lasers kind of act like a magnet and repel away from each other. But bullets i dont think would be so easy.

Schmidt1989

[edit on 6/11/2005 by Schmidt1989]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well Nasa is working on Magnetic Radiation shielding, it wouldn't be powerfull enough to block lasers but its a start. They were supposed to be testing a version on the ISS in 2006 but with the shuttle grounding well who knows when it will get up and running ...

Click photo for article

It’s the year 2027 and NASA’s Vision for Space Exploration is progressing right on schedule. The first interplanetary spacecraft with humans aboard is on course for Mars. However, halfway into the trip, a gigantic solar flare erupts, spewing lethal radiation directly at the spacecraft. But, not to worry. Because of research done by former astronaut Jeffrey Hoffman and a group of MIT colleagues back in the year 2004, this vehicle has a state-of-the-art superconducting magnetic shielding system that protects the human occupants from any deadly solar emissions.

New research has recently begun to examine the use of superconducting magnet technology to protect astronauts from radiation during long-duration spaceflights, such as the interplanetary flights to Mars that are proposed in NASA’s current Vision for Space Exploration.
The concept of magnetic shielding is not new. As Hoffman says, “The Earth has been doing it for billions of years!” Earth’s magnetic field deflects cosmic rays, and an added measure of protection comes from our atmosphere which absorbs any cosmic radiation that makes its way through the magnetic field. Using magnetic shielding for spacecraft was first proposed in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s, but was not actively pursued when plans for long-duration spaceflight fell by the wayside.

But bullets i dont think would be so easy.

I think that would be extremely difficult to achieve if not impossible.

[edit on 11-6-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
thanks sardion2000, thats a great help.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Yes I think it would be possible, but with the our current (known) technology, it would be nearly impossible to do.

There are four ways to make forcefileds/shields;

1. Forced particle field (common forcefeild), holding particles in place with close to no movement.

2. Energy shields, creating a field of energy around an object.

3. space-time distortion fields, manipulate space to form a shield of warped space (I dont think that s possible any time soon )around the object.

4. Quantum manipulation field, This is really close to a forced particle field, but it is different, Instead of holding high energy atoms together, it holds sub-atomic particles together in a shape, without the particles becoming atoms.

I really have no idea how to do any of that though, so please dont ask me how to do it.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989

what sort of effect would high magnetic fields have on the human brain!

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by klain

Originally posted by Schmidt1989

what sort of effect would high magnetic fields have on the human brain!

Can't be as bad as getting bombarded with High Energy Radiation from the sun, remember we are subjected to Magnetic fields all the time with which we have grown to adapt, Cost/Benefit scenario

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
yes but would'nt this be more powerfull and intense at such close range ive heard high magnetic fields can cause tumors

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by klain
yes but wouldn't this be more powerfull and intense at such close range ive heard high magnetic fields can cause tumors

huh...thats radiation, not magnetic fields.

Earth is protected by a massive magnetic field, its what stops the sun from killing us with its radiation.

magnets cause no damage to humans.

People get MRI's (magnetic resonance imaging) done all the time, so no, magnets arn't bad for you.

Cell phone release radiation...from the battery, in a very small amount...but some people are always on them...so thats why theres a small threat that they could get a tumor from them being constantly talking away.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
High magnetic fields have been theorised to affect our state of mind, which would explain the more depressed people and suicidal people. It can also cause hallucinogenic affects in some people.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
shields like you see in shows and movies are still at least 100 years in the future.
*this shot is from Independence Day*

There is different types of shields that are being Researched now and heres a couple.
Cold Plasma shields are quite abit like movie ones...the plasma surrounds the aircraft (however it could be used on nearly anything...but on aircraft is a mian goal) it makes a non-stealth aircraft become stealthy, basically that plasma absorbs the radar. and it also absorbs the the heat from laser weapons, and microwave weapons.
Cold Plasma

Side view of a cold plasma inside a Pyrex glass container. Cold plasmas can cloak satellites and spacecraft from radar view and shield them against attack from certain kinds of energy weapons.

Electric Armour, virtually eliminates the RPG theat, it makes vehicles with light armor on them stand up to several hits...and drive away from it.
Electric Armour

Schmidt1989
I think it will be possible against lasers, to the point where the two lasers kind of act like a magnet and repel away from each other.

lasers are far different then magnets, what you described is impossible.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88
High magnetic fields have been theorised to affect our state of mind, which would explain the more depressed people and suicidal people. It can also cause hallucinogenic affects in some people.

theories are like myths...unproven.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I am suprised no one mentioned this, One of the Greatest Scientists of all time. TESLA came up with the idea to put a force field around planes and even entire cities.

Here, Read, Learn ...

aolsearch.aol.com... bovetopsecret.com%2Fforum%2Fthread61365%2Fpg1

Its a shame that he was so far before his actual time.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Where2Hide2006 - Your link doesn't work...not to mention it looks like you didn't hyperlink it all...however I selected and copies it to the address bar and hit GO, and it still didn't work.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
It's an AOL link back here to ATS. Here is the shortened version that should work:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   
We might be closer to all of this than we think. Remember in Star Trek, whenever the ship got attacked, the Captain would shout, "shields!"

That changed when the show Enterprise came on. Suddenly the Captain would shout, "Ionize the hull!"

This is a very different kind of shielding, and believe it or not, a close relative to it is used EVERY DAY in the auto body and paint business. Electric cable is run to the body of the car, and then the Metallic paint is sprayed over the body. The paint literally gets SUCKED to the metal portions of the car's body. Yes, the body of the car is temporarily magnetized. The tricky part is REVERSING the process so the paint will fight to AVOID the metal parts of the car's body. Tricky? Yes! Impossible? Hardly!

You may have heard of the Philadelphia Experiment. (Okay, I'll wait until you finish laughing....*sits and whistles*...done? Okay, I'll continue.)

Yes, the Experiment took place...BUT...it wasn't to make a ship disappear. It was to make a ship's hull repel the magnetically-guided torpedoes and magnetically equiped undersea mines used by the Germans. (In the first six months of 1942 alone, the Germans sank 454 ships. Now imagine what such a device might have saved in ships and crew.)

I believe the Navy perfected this, but I'm not sure if they actually use it. Does this qualify as a "force field"? Well, I think so.

[edit on 13-6-2005 by Toelint]

[edit on 13-6-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Wouldn't the introduction of such a device on board a navy ship cause interfeirence with ship systems? Communications forinstance? And what about navigational equipment? I'd be suprised if it could be intergrated without causing problems to other systems.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I would think it would probably cause some interference with stuff, but overall i think it would be pretty good. or what if we could creat something like an antimatter sheild, somthing like a bunch of crammed together particles made of antimatter, thus kind of just sucking the object in it that would be shot at the sheild.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow88

ah yes i heard of a experiment they did and they actually turned off certain parts of the brain that some autistic people have (from injurys) and the guini pigs

had a increased mathmatical ability and a better artistic ability

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The project was about degaussing the hull....
to avoid torpedoes...

Does anyone think it would ever be possible to create an energy forcefield such as in star wars to block lasers, and possibly even normal bullets? I think it will be possible against lasers, to the point where the two lasers kind of act like a magnet and repel away from each other. But bullets i dont think would be so easy.

The real trick is developing shields that would still allow you to fire OUT of it, while keeping things from coming IN.

I'd think that plasma shields may not be too far off, and if used as a countermeasure and only with incoming missiles, etc., it might be pretty effective.....(you'd just switch it on when a missile was locked on to you, etc. )

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Ya know what is really great at re-directing laser beams?

Mirrors.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join