It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mind Dimension

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raideur
Knowing full well the adaptability of the human brain, and realizing the supposed requirement to dream, could a person train theirself, or use medication, to sleep successfully without entering any dream-inducing REM sleep?

Hmm, I don't see how that would be possible. Well you can do that but only for short periods of time, you'd have to be waking up every hour or something. I'm sure you know about it and what not but when people lucid dream (become aware they are dreaming and have control over the dream) they are in the REM stage and that is the only time I can think of when you have control over any dream related happenings, but of course that doesn't work because the whole going into REM sleep thing. IMO your best bet would be hoping you don't remember your dreams, that's basically the same thing as not having them.

..but yes, very good question!

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I already don't remember them, but the question was, *even with medication, and any drugs you can think of* could someone live without dreaming?

And of course, this wouldn't be pertaining to me....of course not..

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It could be it is some subtle aspect of physics.

Einstein showed time, distance, space, motion are all relative ie. mutable and interactive.

Quantum physics shows that things operate probabilistically.

String theory [thus far unproven] points to extra dimensionality.

My mind says why 3 dimensions? why 4? why should any discrete limited number of dimensions be the number there are? Is there some underlying mathematical principle favoring or restricting the number of dimensions? None that i can think of.

The 3D Universe we know [think of] seems to have a topological rigidity to it. A physical/mathematical functional mechanism that governs the interaction of space and time [energy?].

Your brain may be able to reach around the ridgid time-space structure/mechanism of the Universe in extra dimensions either physically or through some kind of sensory/data extrapolation. And on some level the difference between physics and sensory/data may be simply meaningless.

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Dreams are vital to our sanity, and to our ability to cope with Reality. Without them you find your ability to think fuzzy and difficult. One thing that points to the fact that the rational mind is not as 'in charge' as it likes to think is that we do not need to remember our Dreams for them to fulfill their vital function. If the rational was the focus of control then anything we did not directly remember would have only indirect effects.

Personally I consider humans to be 5 Dimensional creatures, x,y,z, Time and Energy make the 5.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Medications and drugs work wonders, I might add.

The energy dimension, eh?

posted on Jun, 27 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
X,Y,Z provide for a location, Time is another part of Location, 'when you are at that location'.

The 5th dimension is for everything else, what is affecting you, what are you affecting, what is driving you, what are you changing, all the interactions from gravity to intellectual constructs.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 12:09 AM
link   
You mean those neurons firing? Those neurons that follow XYZ and time and dont need another entire dimension to be explained...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raideur
You mean those neurons firing? Those neurons that follow XYZ and time and dont need another entire dimension to be explained...

You sure are stubborn

Well I don't know how he meant it, but c'mon.. There is the XYZ, Time and just that other one that is everything that those 4 aren't. You will probably say you can put everything into those 4 dimensions but just look at it as what I just said, anything that does not fit those catergories goes into the 5th.

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Why does the human brain, which is a lump of matter like everything else, and not even other brains, get its own dimension to explain its workings.

That sounds a little unnessesary...

posted on Jun, 28 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Not quite what I meant.

This is not offered as a scientific answer, but rather my own personal construct.

The 5th Dimension is the dimension of Why and How if you will. X,Y,Z and to an extent Time are static, or at least constant. The 5th Dimension is the motive power that moves you, and the things that affect your path along the way.

I see it this way because we are energy and all actions can be reduced down to interations of energy. So let's say for example you are driving to see your girlfriend. At any given moment you are at X,Y,Z at time Time, but then you move onto the other elements. The car that you are in, the Love that draws you to the location, and anything else affecting you at that moment are all fifth Dimensional elements.

This construct is useful when describing human events in detail or when trying to understand them. The fact that a person showed up angry is just another element in my human equation basically. I have a fondness and talent for math and I have found ways to apply it to more fuzzy human topics.

Thought is certainly 5th especially since it is not constrained my normal 4 Dimensional limits.

But I admit that to really understand how this works for me requires a lot more background.

A.T
(-)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join