It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Florida Man Being Investigated On "Modern Day Slavery" Charges

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Ronald Robert Evans, a labor contractor who runs a farmwork camp, was charged last week with making false statements to a federal investigators and allowing unauthorized drivers to transport farmworkers. The situation of possible forced labor was first reported by The Coalition of Immokalee Workers, and charges still may be brought against Evans. Evans allegedly lured homeless men with alcohol and crack-coc aine and their debts soon exceeded the wages they were given.

www.washingtonpost.com
EAST PALATKA, Fla. -- A farm labor contractor has been accused of luring homeless men into indentured servitude by forcing them to work off debts from the purchase of alcohol and crack coc aine, authorities said.

"Evans and his enforcers allegedly employ force or threat of force to keep the workers in a condition of involuntary servitude," reads a three-page U.S. Department of Labor "Operation Plan" distributed to agents before the raid.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The human resource is probably the most valuable resource on the planet and it seems that some people will stop at nothing to abuse it. Modern Slavery is alive and well, and though this concept is encountered beyond American borders and with illegal aliens, this case centers on the forced bondage of homeless U.S. citizens.

I am consistently amazed at the extent some people will go to force others into submission of one form or another as well as the fact that slavery still exists.......though of all places for it to manifest, the far south would be the place, given it's history.

The second link below is the website for The Coalition of Immokalee Workers and shows that there have been quite a few cases of forced labor in the past few years.......it seems to be an ongoing battle.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.ciw-online.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Lawsuit charges slave labor goods 'Made in USA'

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
So, People that will work for food are slaves or just this guy because he is malicious?

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
slavery = working your butts off for like little or no moeny. or working *under the min. wage.

evil bastards, we need to get rid of slave labor, espically with illegals here is the US.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
So, People that will work for food are slaves or just this guy because he is malicious?

Well, first off.....the guy used drugs to lure them to his lair, er, farm camp. That is in an of itself illegal. The fact that after a while they were working for drugs, food, and probably shelter(since they were homeless) and still increasing their debt, per the intentions of the employer does constitute forced labor.......being malicious would just be the sweetner on the deal.

Dude needs some of his own medicine, if you ask me........

[edit on 11-6-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I agree MS, I voted the story up, I just wanted to know if giving food for services rendered, slavery?

[edit on 11-6-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Aye........food for work, I believe could be a deal worked out temporarily if, imo, both parties acknowledged the other's concerns.....in some instances, that's a good deal and very charitable.......but, and this is according to the CIW link, there is an actual issue with forced labor and employers are taking a holier than thou stance regarding people who are in the outs.......thinking that providing for their basic comforts, when drugs aren't involved, gives them the right to demand their cooperation....which, everyone can agree, is deplorable.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
These guys work for crack and alcohol, I work for food and alcohol. I am indetured by society to file TPS reports so that I can eat, when I'd much rather be...

Well...

I JUST WANNA DANCE!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
You Godless heathens,

The Bible supports and promotes slavery.

Don't you even know what morality is?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
What? You're kidding me right?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
For those of you who may have lapsed in your bible readings,

This is for a little brush up.

Bible Slavery Quiz

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
With this logic, slank, you almost sound like you're supporting the use of drugs in this case.......also, I think you might misunderstand the term master, as history has.......to be a master implies a more than adequate knowledge of a given subject and the capacity to apply that knowledge.........luring a homeless man with base temptations is 'low art' and decidely bad magic.......

[edit on 12-6-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I am teasing, Memory shock.

I hope you don't mind.

I am a complete athiest.
I just use the bible's support for slavery as a personal zinger.

I do support the individual's choice to take or not take any drugs one wants as a personal freedom. But someone else using it as a tool of coercien is immoral.

But its hard to get excited about one individual's manipulations of others when the institutions of Washington and corporations are so rife with corruption on a vast scale.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
I am teasing, Memory shock.

I was holding out for something like that, since I recalled that I have held esteem for some of your previous posts........fair enough.......you probably would have been interested in the look on my face as I perused your link.....

new topics

top topics

join