It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Star Is Possible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
i was watching something on tv and it was an interview with a chemist. they were asking him if anything in star wars was possible today. while asking him about the death star, he said it is very possible. it was something about fusing together multiple hydrogen bombs together into a laser form of the hydrogen bombs. with enough H bombs, it would be possible to crack the earth in half. he didnt say it would be possible in the future, theyre possible now. although we have no need for them (until the aliens come).

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
During the 80ties when Reagan anounced SDI, there was a project for nuclear powered lasers. They were single use neutron lasers powered by a small nuclear explosion. The nuke - neutron bomb - was supposed produce a lot of neutrons and those should be focused on target (ICBM). Of course as I already said it was only for one shot, so you needed a lot of them... There was actually 1 underground test, but the sensors were destroyed too early so they gave no output data.

[edit on 11-6-2005 by longbow]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
i say we test one on one of jupiters moons. moons are pointless anyways.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by bubble boy

I'm a novice at the subject of blowing up moons and planets but wouldn't that be a little dangerous, for one there would be rather scary sized chunks of rock flying around with a chance of hitting earth, also I'm sure there would be some form of graviational effect that could possibly effect earth.
But I am a novice at the topic so

link   

Well I don't think it could be THAT powerfull... And even if yes it would be easier simply to use the nuke as a bomb, than use it in neutron laser.

link   

Ok, if you dont want tides then fair enough.....
Good luck looking for food or sailing...

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

I'm a novice at the subject of blowing up moons and planets but wouldn't that be a little dangerous, for one there would be rather scary sized chunks of rock flying around with a chance of hitting earth, also I'm sure there would be some form of graviational effect that could possibly effect earth.

There is really no need for such weapon, but the chance of the rocks to hit Earth is minimum, and the gravitational effects are zero. In fact I have read we could also destroy the whole Jupiter (for construction of Dyson sphere ) without significant effect on Earth (or other planet position).

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Without the moon Earth would be so unstable Humans would find it hard to survive on it. We would wobble on our axis and the angle that we would face the sun would change very quickly so places that are deserts become ice worlds, places that are cold become warm it would just go back and forth, Ice ages would come and go. It would ruin the eco system and affect our oceans as well it would be a mess!
Did I mention that the Moon is leaving the Earths orbit by a certain amount every year(sorry can't remember what it is) and one day it will be gone. I think we should all have a little more appreciation for the moon because if it wasn't there we wouldn't be here.

[edit on 11-6-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Did I mention that the Moon is leaving the Earths orbit by a certain amount every year(sorry can't remember what it is)

About a quarter inch every year........

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Are you surre the "chemist" wasn't a pharmacist? He got all the terminology wrong for Star Wars, and seems pretty un-knowledgeable about weapons power.

The "Death Star" is a planet-sized warship/spaceship. Its weapon was an energy beam/particle beam. H-bombs are powerful, but Earth's volcanos have produced far more powerful explosions than that (and haven't cracked the Earth.)

And we don't have any particle beam weapons around.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I would not be too sure about that.

DW I looked it up online and my sources say 1 inch and half.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
wow cool man

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   

So thats why the tides vary an inch and a half each year....even though I didnt have anything to do with that part but cool!

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   

I would not be too sure about that.

Could very well be.......I was quoting off the top of my head.......it's been awhile since I encountered that info......

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Well lets just hope that they don't make the same mistake as the Empire and put that unshielded thermal exhaust port right at the end of a long trench were any small ship with a torpedo can fly down and set off a chain reaction blowing up the entire station.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime

Well lets just hope that they don't make the same mistake as the Empire and put that unshielded thermal exhaust port right at the end of a long trench were any small ship with a torpedo can fly down and set off a chain reaction blowing up the entire station.

I think they built something similar, its called management....

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 01:27 AM
link   
The Death Star already exists, it's called Mimas:

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Givin the distance of the earth and the moon I could care less about 1 1/2 inches a year.

And yeah, that is wierd how that saturn moon 'mimas' looks like a death star.

and blowing up some ramdom saturn moon would have no effect on earth.

In 3 weeks Nasa's probe "Deep Impact" will hit a comet, and Some Russian nutcase is sueing Nasa because he says it will "disrupt the natural balance of the universe".

heres what his lawyer said:
"My client believes that the NASA project infringes upon her spiritual and life values as well as the natural life of the cosmos and would disrupt the natural balance of forces in the universe," her lawyer said.

The lawyer says Tempel 1 has sentimental value to Ms Bai because her grandparents met when her grandfather pointed the comet out to his future wife.

crazy russian

So considering how some people are when a little 816 pound projectile smacks into a 3.7 miles in diameter comet, I would hate to think what they would say if your going to blow up a moon.

But...on the realistic side of things...we do not have the technology to blow up a earth sized planet. Some small (non-earth) moon...maybe. But by several huge nukes, not some laser weapon.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

not only that our moon works in harmony with our planet think of the gravitational effects of the planets near by!

whoops sorry i did'nt read ahead yeh you said the moon was moving away i can remember if that would have a calming effect on our seas or more turbulence

[edit on 12-6-2005 by klain]

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Without the moon Earth would be so unstable Humans would find it hard to survive on it. We would wobble on our axis and the angle that we would face the sun would change very quickly so places that are deserts become ice worlds, places that are cold become warm it would just go back and forth, Ice ages would come and go. It would ruin the eco system and affect our oceans as well it would be a mess!
Did I mention that the Moon is leaving the Earths orbit by a certain amount every year(sorry can't remember what it is) and one day it will be gone. I think we should all have a little more appreciation for the moon because if it wasn't there we wouldn't be here.

I thought we were talking about Jupiter moons... Of course the destruction of Earth moon would have significant effects on Earth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join