It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

At least 12 Iraqi civilians killed by contractors every week?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I was just reading through an article on the contractors who shot at US forces in Iraq and the part about the number of civilians killed really stood out.

Telegraph

The marines say one of their combat teams came under fire from guards in a convoy of four-wheel-drives belonging to Zapata Engineering, a firm based in North Carolina that is involved in reconstruction projects.

A marine observation post was fired at three hours later by the same convoy, according to Lt Col Dave Lapan, a marines spokesman.

The contractors' vehicles were eventually stopped by metal spikes in the road.

Soldiers promptly arrested the security men, including 16 Americans and three Iraqis, who were placed in a detention centre. They have since been sent home.

The Zapata employees have admitted firing at civilian vehicles but deny targeting marines.
--snip--

They are even more unpopular with Iraqis. Interior ministry officials say at least 12 Iraqi civilians are killed by contractors every week in the capital.

"Enough is enough," said an official at the interior ministry. "We are looking at ways to tighten weapons licenses, and to punish the worst cases. The culture of impunity must stop."

These types of forces need to stopped and sent out of Iraq.
Who are they accountable to?
How can they kill Iraqi civilians and not be charged with murder?

[edit on 10-6-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Well Ace as we learn more of what is going in Iraq, is starting to look like when it comes to Iraqi civilians in their own country death is not an issue.

I guess the "Culture of life" applies only in the US soil.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Sorry to go off topic, but marg is your avatar supposed to be bastila from KOTOR?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I don't know who they are responsible to they cant be court marshaled because they are not military personnel. I guess they can be held accountable by international law. I have no love for mercenaries or soldiers for hire, their use should be limited.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Mercs are getting dropped in numbers over there. I read an interesting report in my newspaper about a car full of them dressed as locals getting ambushed when they were locked at a fresh bomb site by a US Mil roadblock. It was just one insurgent carefully plucking at the hapless contractors. Fearing they would be shot by US Mil because they were wearing local dress, they were forced to tear off the clothes revealing their true identities to any insurgents hanging around. They had no idea where the contact was and just shot at surrounding buildings. If I can find the article online I will post it.

3 dead mercs and one exfil insurgent.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
I don't know who they are responsible to they cant be court marshaled because they are not military personnel. I guess they can be held accountable by international law. I have no love for mercenaries or soldiers for hire, their use should be limited.

Conventional forces should be limited. SF should have free reign, including our retirees.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Sorry to go off topic, but marg is your avatar supposed to be bastila from KOTOR?

I am not sure, but I know is from a character, but the name I am not sure.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Mercenaries bring shame to the concept of a national volunteer military. And marge your avatar looks like Angelina Jolie to me.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Oldest Job in the History - Mercs.

Right behind Prostitutes.

They will always be around.

But their Problem is that they think they Own the Town.

And they dont.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
belonging to Zapata Engineering, a firm based in North Carolina that is involved in reconstruction projects.

What a funky coinsidence.
Anyone here recall the name "Zapata Oil"?

Zapata was an extraction company in the United States, founded in 1953 by George H. W. Bush. It merged in 1963 with Penn to form Pennzoil . Bush sold his shares in the company in 1966.

Some believe it to have been involved with covert CIA operations, including the Bay of Pigs. Shortly after George H. W. Bush became Ronald Reagan's Vice President in 1981 all government intelligence files on Zapata Oil were purged.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
i really hate mercs, they don't care about sides and such, they care about their paycheck... well most of them

and marg that chick in your avatar is hot

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

I was just reading through an article on the contractors who shot at US forces in Iraq and the part about the number of civilians killed really stood out.

Telegraph

The marines say one of their combat teams came under fire from guards in a convoy of four-wheel-drives belonging to Zapata Engineering, a firm based in North Carolina that is involved in reconstruction projects.

A marine observation post was fired at three hours later by the same convoy, according to Lt Col Dave Lapan, a marines spokesman.

The contractors' vehicles were eventually stopped by metal spikes in the road.

Soldiers promptly arrested the security men, including 16 Americans and three Iraqis, who were placed in a detention centre. They have since been sent home.

The Zapata employees have admitted firing at civilian vehicles but deny targeting marines.
--snip--

They are even more unpopular with Iraqis. Interior ministry officials say at least 12 Iraqi civilians are killed by contractors every week in the capital.

"Enough is enough," said an official at the interior ministry. "We are looking at ways to tighten weapons licenses, and to punish the worst cases. The culture of impunity must stop."

These types of forces need to stopped and sent out of Iraq.
Who are they accountable to?
How can they kill Iraqi civilians and not be charged with murder?

[edit on 10-6-2005 by AceOfBase]

Sorry to dig this up. Its a sham. The constant attacks carried out by spooks against coalition soldiers equipped by American/Israeli Zapata engeneering were a justification for ongoing conflict, which served as a cover to kill Iraqis which might pose a problem in the future and of course to justify a permanent presence in the region.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
that's all?

www.youtube.com...

^ maybe by *each* triggerhappy contractor/sniper each week.

top topics

join