It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Submariners or those who are knowledgable on the subject i need to know wat this is.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   
can anione please tell me wat is that hole in the sail?

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Yeah..delta boy .it looks like a horn..more specifically a air horn. Used when transiting on the surface.
This looks like a Virginia class boat or one of the three Sea Wolfs.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Yeah..delta boy .it looks like a horn..more specifically a air horn. Used when transiting on the surface.

Thanks,
Orangetom

Its not an air horn as usless under water no air duh.Also who you gonna need a horn outside the sub for incase any fish are in the way.

Do you mean the hole in the conning tower (big black upright on top of sub which is a camera.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I'm not a submariner, nor do I know anything about this...but I think it's kind of silly, weirdo, to assume that the horn would be used underwater. It was also stated that it was for when navigating on surface.

pfffft

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I have installed the air horn doors and the air horn on 688 class boats and like Valhall says it is used for transiting on the surface. Below the surface...mum is the word...silence as much as possible.

Standard proceedure when on the surface in harbors is to open the air horn doors and put the air horn on line ready for use.

Also ..there are cameras built in as part of certain periscope features. Digital today..verses analog in yesteryers. They can make a hard copy of anything they see or record. This means they can if necessary send it off to a circling plane or sattelite in real time if necessary.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Awesome - a Seawolf class. I almost got ststioned on one and ended up on an SSBN instead...the USS Francis Scott Key.

As said before, that is the air horn. I remember having to check the doors for cavitation while submerged. If they weren't painted evenly, they produced a slight bit of cavitation, so it was always a pain in the ass.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   
A question to submariners...or the like!

Could anyone tell me , if sonar is sound then what would happen if you played the same sound but flipped , wouldnt that negate sonars effect?

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
It would work in open air, because that technology is used in noise-reduction head phones, but underwater, the physics of sound is changed. I am sure that the technology could be adapted, but as far as what you're asking, I'm not sure that it would be feasible. I was a sonar tech, and we measured the time between firing the sound and the echo returning. When using active sonar, another vessel couldn't use that technique to prevent detection because the lack of a return echo would send up a red flag. Also, the other vessel would need a way of using our own equipment to transmit the negative audio information. That would be quite an undertaking.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by genepooldesign
It would work in open air, because that technology is used in noise-reduction head phones, but underwater, the physics of sound is changed. I am sure that the technology could be adapted, but as far as what you're asking, I'm not sure that it would be feasible. I was a sonar tech, and we measured the time between firing the sound and the echo returning. When using active sonar, another vessel couldn't use that technique to prevent detection because the lack of a return echo would send up a red flag. Also, the other vessel would need a way of using our own equipment to transmit the negative audio information. That would be quite an undertaking.

But if there is nothing there, then how will the echo bounce back?
I mean if there is no object for sonar to ounce off , or more precisly the air around it, then there wil be no return.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   

But if there is nothing there, then how will the echo bounce back?
I mean if there is no object for sonar to ounce off , or more precisly the air around it, then there wil be no return.

The sonar only bounces off objects, including the sea floor, so if no echo is returned that represents an object, than there isn't anything there. The system on the vessel that sent the sound listens for its own echo, so another type of sound, even a negative audio signal, wouldn't register as the sound the sonar system is listening for. Since the audio physics are so different in water, the negative-audio scheme wouldn't work the same way because the sonar system would hear the returned ping, but disregard the negative audio transmission from the other vessel. During the cold war, the former Soviet Union did attempt to design such systems, but they just didn't work and the idea was scrapped. At the same time, the US military did develop the system for use in the field, which was later adapted for use in commercial applications like the noise-reduction headphones.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
You were on the Francis Scott Key ...wow!! I worked that boat years ago when it was in for overhaul..others too. Von stuben..nathanel Green..etc etc. Alot of work to keep those boats running.
Thanks for your service to our country.

Orangetom

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   

You were on the Francis Scott Key ...wow!! I worked that boat years ago when it was in for overhaul..others too. Von stuben..nathanel Green..etc etc. Alot of work to keep those boats running.
Thanks for your service to our country.

Orangetom

It was my pleasure...those were some of the best years of my life!

The Key was decommissioned a few years back...it was sad to see her go.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Thanks,
Orangetom

thanks for answering my ?, also the boat we are looking at is the extended Seawolf USS Jimmy Carter. 100 feet extended.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
kind of silly, weirdo, to assume that the horn would be used underwater. It was also stated that it was for when navigating on surface.

pfffft

Are if only everybody had my sense of humour the world would be a more relaxed friendly plae to live.

new topics

top topics

join