It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Bi-Plane?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Of pre-ww1 early 14-15, 16-17, 18 and inter war and ww2 eras?

i like the CR42

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The Sopwith Camel and Fokker D.VIII

Both battle proven Bi-planes in WWI.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The best pre WW1 biplane was probably the BE.2 which was said to be 'uncrashable' although clearly untrue it indicates the reputation for safety that it gained. Unfortunately this reputation was tarnished in WW1 as, being designed entirely as a safe and stable aeroplane, it was utterly unsuited to warfare and fell easy prey to the first true fighter, the Fokker Eindecker.

It probably qualifies for the 19-14-15 period you asked for too.

1916-17 is a close call between the Sopwith Pup (16) and Albatross DV, Sopwith Camel or SE 5a (both 17).

1918 - again this would be a close call between the Fokker DVII and the Sopwith Snipe.

In the inter war years I think the Hawker Fury became the epitomy of the classic biplane fighter though it was outclassed by the (prototype only) Fairey Fantome. Possibly the best performing service fighter of this era was the Polikarpov I-15 Rata

The best and most capable biplane fighter ever produced however was the Fiat CR.42, however this acheivement is dimmed somewhat by the fact that it was entering service in 1939, a year behind the Spitfire and two years behind the Hurricane and Bf 109.

Reply given straight off the top of my head so apologies if I've missed any blinding types (eg possibly the Gloster Gladiator, though I consider the CR.42 superior)

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 01:47 AM
link   
nice list i just want a sim with the cr42 or a ww1 game

top topics

join