It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Israel Tests New Sonic Weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:26 PM
link   
A device called, "The Scream" was tested at a recent protest against Israel's West Bank separation barrier. The Scream works by emitting specific sound bursts that target the inner ear and induce nausea and dizziness in the subject. Isreal is deciding whether or not to employ this new device against Jewish settlers who won't cooperate at this summers Gaza Strip evacuation.

aolsvc.news.aol.com
JERUSALEM (June 10) - Israel is considering using an unusual new weapon against Jewish settlers who resist this summer's Gaza Strip evacuation - a device that emits penetrating bursts of sound that leaves targets reeling with dizziness and nausea.

Security forces could employ the weapon to overcome resistance without resorting to force, their paramount aim. But experts warn that the effects of prolonged exposure are unknown.

The military offered few details on the device, but Pike said he assumed it worked on very low frequencies that set off resonance in the inner ear. He said he was unaware of potential damage besides possible hearing loss.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Acoustic weapons........the wave(
) of the future!!! A humane way of dealing with resisitance to government action, it has the looks of being more efficient than current strategies against violent protests and I wouldn't be surprised to see its eventual use over here in the U.S.

For any one who wonders about the technology, it is fascinating stuff who's origin was probably the result of our studies with dolphins......yup....dolphins!! The link below, if you start about a third of the way down, provides a detailed look at the sonic capabilities that dolphins have evolved and you'll also note that the benefits of sonic manipulation have medical applications as well as military.

www.planetpuna.com...

Edit to include the link....

[edit on 10-6-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I'm liking the idea of using these. I mean sure it may be wrong to evict the Jewish settlers, but if the IDF doesn't use sonic weapons they'll probably use something even more harmful.

It's nice that riot control will no longer have an excuse to resort to lethal force when not nessesary. And of course this could allow for large groups to be controlled at once.

My question is are the developing anything to shield friendlies, and what effects would earplugs have?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by cyberdude 78
My question is are the developing anything to shield friendlies, and what effects would earplugs have?

I believe that friendlies would be affected dependent on proximity and earplugs would be useless due to the concept of resonance, which pretty much states that you can affect the frequency of something with an external energy if you have a)the frequency and phase(I think) of the intended target(in this case, the inner ear of the human organism) and b) are capable of directing/focusing the external energy(sonic).

Anyone better versed in acoustic science who could help out with my assuredly inadequate explanation?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I just realized......

The article says that the device was tested at a violent protest.......how violent could it have been if this kid was there?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Quote: The U.S. Army has already ordered its own prototype of the non-lethal acoustic weapon. It will be packaged in a camouflaged cylinder and either be handheld or mounted on an armored car. Unquote
www.why-war.com...

And if my memory is right, this man had rock & roll played at him 24/7 until he gave up.

I don't know what ever happened to Noriega, he might be in a Florida jail.

I think if we look around a bit we can find more examples of sound being used as a weapon.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Sounds like a combination of a "Squawk Box" and a "Curdler" to me. They've been around for a while now actually, as well as some other similar devices.

Here's a short description:

Squawk Box. Crowd dispersal weapon field tested by the British Army in Ireland in 1973. This directional device emits two ultrasonic frequencies which when mixed in the human ear become intolerable. It produces giddiness, nausea or fainting. The beam is so small that is can be directed at specific individuals in a riot situation.

Curdler Unit. A device which is plugged into an HPS-1 sound system to produce a shrill shrieking, blatting noise. It is used to irritate and disperse rioters and had a decibel range just below that of the danger level to the human ear.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

"I think if we look around a bit we can find more examples of sound being used as a weapon."

The U.S. Armed Forces in Panama, where in 1990 former CIA employee, Manuel Noriega, barricaded himself in the Vatican Embassy in Panama City. For 10 days the Army bombarded him with pop music, loud hits, message songs such as Martha and the Vandellas' "Nowhere to Run" and "You're No Good" by Linda Rondstadt.

In 1991 heavy metal by such bands as Metallica was employed to harass the Iraqui troops into surrendering during the Iraq Crisis.

During the siege at Waco, Texas, ATF agents employed sounds such as Tibetan chants (deep unsettling growls) to unnerve the Branch Davidians. Other songs employed were Billy Ray Cyrus' "Achy Breaky Heart" and Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots Were Made For Walkin'."

If you've ever seen the Documentary of Waco about the Davidians and the Investigation into the Military & Government involvement and so on, then you'll probably recall seeing (and hearing) that last part. If I remember correctly, they were also blasting the sounds of animals like wild horses and stuff at them too.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   
MemoryShock, this boy is the same age as the kids I've seen on the news throwing rocks at soldiers. It's a very real scenario to have Palestinian boys fighting with rocks against well armed Israeli soldiers.

And many die for their effort

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Unfortunate.........boys being killed for throwing rocks......*shakes head*.......some things about this world I will never understand........

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   
This is very disturbing news. If this comes to USA we could see the final shredding of our Constitution and Bill of Rights come to be. No longer are Americans allowed to protest the actions of their government. Instead you are "un-american" or a "terrorist" just becuase you don't believe the crazed ramblings from the son of an Oil tycoon with extensive family ties to oil companies and defense contractors who all stand to profit from us declaring war on the world while the rest of us suffer. I think it is time for the citizens of this country to consider a regime change of our own.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
There's a book by Ian Hogg called Secret Weapons of the Third Reich. This weapon was a WW II Nazi invention.

Ironic, isn't it.

[edit on 11-6-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DjOsiris
I think it is time for the citizens of this country to consider a regime change of our own.

It appears that you had every opportunity to affect a "regime change" in 2004.
You also have an opportunity in another 3 years.

You could do a lot by supporting independants and start busting up the two party system.

Just to put this back on topic;
The below link says: SONIC WEAPON IN IRAQ

"U.S. soldiers in Iraq have new gear for dispersing hostile crowds and warding off potential enemy combatants,"
www.defensetech.org...

The more I read, the more I see that sound has been used for some time as a weapon. It makes sense to take advantage of any weakness you can in a time of war.

If sound can be used in a non-lethal way to save the lives of both the people and the ones that want to control those people, it seems like a win, win situation.

I just wonder if in a battlefield situation if this could be cranked up so that you could render your enemy deaf, permanently.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by anxietydisorder
I just wonder if in a battlefield situation if this could be cranked up so that you could render your enemy deaf, permanently.

I'm sure it can be......the whole idea is resonance and that pretty much means making your body the same frequency as the external energy, the sonic beam. Imagine if your body shook and matched the motion of an earthquake.......I don't mean that your body reacts to the motions of the earth moving, but actually synchronizes it's frequency and starts moving like the earth.......that is why the sonic beam causes nausea and dizziness by affecting the inner ear........if your inner ear is where balance is maintained, then it would have adapted to everyday conditions.......the sonic beam makes the fluid in your inner ear vibrate causing confusion on how best to keep balance.

To render deafness would probably be nothing more than upping the frequency, subsequently, though, you're going to need more power since you have to direct the energy as well........

On a side note, it has become increasingly evident that we have had sonic weaponry for a while.......if it's a Nazi invention then for a long while........that means that there has been plenty of time for research to occur in wave technologies.........any thoughts on the probability of EMG's?

[edit on 11-6-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This technology is nothing new. The alarm system installed in my parents home about 8 years ago emitted a frequency that made you nauseous enough to throw up. Worked alright
If you wanted to hang around long enough to rob the place you'd end up a quivering heap on the carpet.

[edit on 11/6/05 by subz]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
This technology is nothing new.

News Source Above
Israel is considering using an unusual new weapon against Jewish settlers who resist.....

Wow......if this technology has already made it to the private sector, then why are they reporting it as new? That's bad reporting and perpetuates a population who is ignorant of current technologies by making them repeat their interest and awe of the wheel........oh....yeah......duh......this should be a story/discussion on the media's ability to spoonfeed the people their own regurgitations.......

*walks away mumbling about how can I have fallen for it when I know the modus operandi*

new topics

top topics

join