It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trimaran hull fighting ships.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   

its too bad we cant see these ships in the future but one can hope
. in anicase they are awesome to look at and logical to be built as efficient fighting ships compare to the regular hull.

[edit on 10-6-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I think we should research this design more, it would be perfect for the LCS type ships. Although Bath Iron Works does have a trimaran design. Heck maybe even for the future DDX and CGX class of ships to. What are your guys opinions?

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Check out RV Triton (UK research vessel in partnership with the US navy) - check out the size of the helicopter deck, also it is supposed to the the most stable platform for its size ever tested - naval helicopter pilots wet dream - may even take an Osprey

I believe Qinetiq are now hiring out the RV Triton as a research platform because of its great stability.

The United States had a keen interest in monitoring the development of the Trimaran FE

RV Triton
Naval Technology Website

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by blue cell
I think we should research this design more, it would be perfect for the LCS type ships. Although Bath Iron Works does have a trimaran design. Heck maybe even for the future DDX and CGX class of ships to. What are your guys opinions?

One of the 2 main LCS competitors (General Dynamics) has trimaran design. Lockheed has single hull design. One of the two will win, so maybe there willl be trimaran ship soon.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Which ship design would be more practical for a military transport ship, Trimaran hull, or Catamaran hull? I know we have one military transport design with a Catamaran hull that were working on, its suppose to be extremely fast. Also could you ever mix a Catamaran , and a Trimaran hull together to make a tricatamaran?

[edit on 11-6-2005 by blue cell]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow

Originally posted by blue cell

One of the 2 main LCS competitors (General Dynamics) has trimaran design. Lockheed has single hull design. One of the two will win, so maybe there willl be trimaran ship soon.

They are going to build test version of both and even might actually produce both.

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
rail gun battleship!any pictures of the LCSs that might both get picked?

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I think I would like to see catamaran fighting ships tooled for two missions, one mission on top of the deck, one underneath. When you needed to change mission packages, turtle the ship. You could even switch it up and have a low radar profile on top, and a weapons package underneath, so you can approach under stealth and flip when in position.

I think the catamaran offers more versatility, given its performance quirks. Just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
i like the top one looks viking

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Please Note: FSC has been put on indefinate hold and Qinetiq have now sold RV Triton to a private hydrography company.

www.qinetiq.com...

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

www.chinfo.navy.mil...

General Characteristics, Swift (HSV 2)
Ship Type: Aluminum-hulled, wave-piercing catamaran
Length: 321½ feet (98 meters)
Beam: 88.6 feet (27 meters)
Draft: 11.15 feet (3.4 meters)
Payload Capacity: Approximately 605 tons (615 metric tons)
Cargo Deck: Approximately 28,740 sq. ft. (2,670 square meters)
Propulsion: Caterpillar 3618 marine Diesel engines
Maximum Speed: 53+ miles per hour (85+ kilometers per hour/45+ knots)
Operating Speed: 34+ miles per hours (55+ kilometers per hour/30+ knots)
Range: 4,000+ miles (6,500 kilometers/3,500+ nautical miles)
Self-Defense Capability: MK 96 w 25mm/40mm Stabilized Gun; MK 45 Snake Eyes with MK 19 Grenade Machine Gun
Normal Crew Size: Approximately 42
Maximum Crew Size: Berthing for 107 with additional temporary berthing for 87 when seating
is converted
Crew Homeports: Naval Station Ingleside, Tex., and Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, Va.
Contractor: Bollinger/Incat USA, LLC, Lockport, La.
Contract Value: $21.7 million (First year value) Current lease can go out to four years 11 months if all options exercised.

Delivery Date: August 2003

Its control system, "Combatss," was first used aboard the Sea Shadow experimental ship, and allowed the Navy to remotely control a ship more than 3,000 miles (5,600 km) from shore. Users interface with Combatss using a Mozilla browser.

pretty unbelievable craft, not to mention able to remote control it over thousands of miles away
. i dink they should make all future transport ships on for this design.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Its a converted fast ferry with some seats removed and some guns and fancy electronics added!! Hardly cutting edge marine design.

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by paperplane_uk
Its a converted fast ferry with some seats removed and some guns and fancy electronics added!! Hardly cutting edge marine design.

yer not very impress are u? that hurts me very much (going to my bed).

in anicase i dink this is just the beginning and not just some minor improvements or changes.

new topics

top topics

join