It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada works on hypervelocity anti-armour missile programme

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Canada is working on a High-Energy Missile (HEMi) programme to meet the potential future requirements of the Canadian Armed Forces.

The key aim of the programme is to demonstrate the concept of a small hypervelocity missile that would provide the firepower of a 70-ton main battle tank (MBT) in a light combat vehicle.

Project Definition of the HEMi was carried out under Phase 0 between April 2000 and April 2001 at a cost of C$400,000 (US$321,000). Phase 1 started in April 2001 and is due to run through to March 2006. During this phase a number of key objectives are required to be met, including system concept definition, detailed component design, demonstration of components and a military utility study.

One of the key requirements is that the HEMi must be able to penetrate a minimum of 1,000 mm of conventional rolled homogenous armour (RHA), have a maximum length of 1.21 m and have a launch weight of 22.4 kg. The projected low weight will enable more rounds to be carried on the platform.

It also must have a minimum velocity of 2,250 m/s at ranges of between 400 m and 5,000 m. (A typical currently fielded 120 mm armour-piercing fin-stabilised discarding sabot [APFSDS] projectile fired from a tank gun has a muzzle velocity of around 1,600 m/s that decreases with range.)

A number of lethality achievements have already been made covering the key areas of lethality, propulsion, aerodynamics, structure, guidance and control, modelling and simulation, and operational research. These include optimised segmented rod parameters, 12 gun-validation firing tests and the firing of segmented rods against active armour. The first firing of a segmented rod took place in December 2004.

Link

Quiet nice, Cannada are upto something for a change.

I wonder if this is a co-development with the US or if its an independant development.

[edit on 10-6-2005 by Stealth Spy]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
sounds like America's LOSAT to me, in ani case its nothing new.

www.army-technology.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
If it works good it will most likely get cancelled anyway stupid canadians.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Hypersonic Penetrator? Moose hide that thick?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc

LOL

The thing is that the Canadians probably wouldn't need it anyway, they haven't gone to war since...ever... and all they do is hunt moose and drink goats milk with booze.

LOL

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Why the hell is the Canadian Military wasting money on a anti-tank missle????
Are they afraid the American's are going to invade us or what??

Oh wait a minute maybe it's Quebec (with the help of France) that will invade?? What a waste of money this is...

If Deefanbaker (SP?) had not sold us down the river back in the 50's we would have had the most advanced Fighter Jet in the world.
For those who do not know do a search on the "Avro ARROW".

Instead of being a leader in jet propulsion we send all our top scientists to the US to help Van Braun and NASA...

Biggest mistake Canada has EVER made in it's history IMHO....

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD

Originally posted by skippytjc

LOL

The thing is that the Canadians probably wouldn't need it anyway, they haven't gone to war since...ever... and all they do is hunt moose and drink goats milk with booze.

LOL

First of all I guess you forgot about our troops over in Afganistan did you??? It's ok most Americans do.....

Second of all we don't drink goats milk it's called BEER...

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
There is no real good reason for them to develop a missile that will cost millions. The odd thing is that Mexico is doing the same thing.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter
There is no real good reason for them to develop a missile that will cost millions. The odd thing is that Mexico is doing the same thing.

Maybe Canada and Mexico are planning a surprise attack on the US... Hahahaha

Before I get flammed, it's a joke folks...

But seriously you really have to wonder why both Countries would do this?
Canada is known for it's peace keeping efforts the world over. Have they been requested by the US to step into Iraq once the American's pull out??
I know we have put that offer on the table.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by like2learn
[But seriously you really have to wonder why both Countries would do this?
Canada is known for it's peace keeping efforts the world over. Have they been requested by the US to step into Iraq once the American's pull out??
I know we have put that offer on the table.

we will never know.......until it comes.......so we wait.......in anicase
we should just see how dis weapon can do against armor i doubt its better wat LOSAT does.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   

First of all I guess you forgot about our troops over in Afganistan did you??? It's ok most Americans do.....

Goats milk and some booze..I think its whiskey...

A strange mix... tried it before... tasted wierd but great

BTW, yeah, Canadian troops did help out quite a bit in Iraq, but they usually don't get to see combat. Canada is quite peaceful, never ever had a war before...unless the French decide to attack Canada

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Goats milk and some booze..I think its whiskey...

A strange mix... tried it before... tasted wierd but great

BTW, yeah, Canadian troops did help out quite a bit in Iraq, but they usually don't get to see combat. Canada is quite peaceful, never ever had a war before...unless the French decide to attack Canada

If we in fact had ANY troops in IRAQ it would have been part of the JTF attachment (Your version of Seals) and we would NEVER know about it. Our "official" (Canadaian) stance is we will NOT get involved in an ILLEGAL war. That is not to say that our covert boys went in ??
Our troops did and still see combat in Afganistan BTW we were one of the first to see it after the Air Campaign.

Not sure if you know this but a CANADIAN SNIPER set a worlds record for longest EVER kill in Afganistan... I can't remember the distance off hand though sry..
To bad the American Media claimed it was an un-manned drone that did it

I guess when your part of a team that does not "Officially" exsist it kind of makes sense for the coverup...

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Ok,how about this, Canada never ever deployed any combat vehicles or tanks in any country that has been at war. The most they did was with snipers or special ops.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
LOSAT was more of a "proof of concept" design. With the information gathered from the design and testing of that missile the CKEM is being developed to replace the TOW missile.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Sorry MODS.
Ok this has nothing to do with the Topic but is Canada bigger than the U.S. in terms of land area? Lets just say I have to be sure because my history teacher told me I was wrong in saying that the U.S. was bigger.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Sorry MODS.
Ok this has nothing to do with the Topic but is Canada bigger than the U.S. in terms of land area? Lets just say I have to be sure because my history teacher told me I was wrong in saying that the U.S. was bigger.

Canada is the second largest country on the planet, the US isn't #1.

Ok,how about this, Canada never ever deployed any combat vehicles or tanks in any country that has been at war. The most they did was with snipers or special ops.

You may want to actually read a history book or 2. We were in WW1 3 years before the States, sending 1/3 of our population. That means we left the women and children home. WW2, same story, in there in '39. My Grandfather went into the British army before Canada declared war.

Korea, there again. Peacekeeping missions around the world to numerous to meantion, from Cyprus(70's) to Afghanistan today.

LOL

Already answered. BTW, who the hell drinks goat milk? Hunting moose is a priviledge, too few these days.

I find it hard to post here today, it's in the 90's and my igloo is melting.

BTW, you want to see how limp a Canadian is, piss one off and see what happens.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Yes indeed Canada has seen more than its share of fighting in the 20th century.

This missile is only 22 kg which makes it 1/4 the weight of LOSAT with almost the same penetration, so its quite a bit better. I have never seen any reference to an actual missile /projectile employing an actual 'segmented penetrator'. That part is definately new news!

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Does anyone know what the penetration depth of the LOSAT is? And will this Canadian missile be anything like this. Hypervelocity Anti-Tank Missile (HATM)

[edit on 10-6-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by psteel
Yes indeed Canada has seen more than its share of fighting in the 20th century.

This missile is only 22 kg which makes it 1/4 the weight of LOSAT with almost the same penetration, so its quite a bit better. I have never seen any reference to an actual missile /projectile employing an actual 'segmented penetrator'. That part is definately new news!

Actually the "light" LOSAT derivative CKEM will weight app 25-28kg. It will be similar to the Canadian misille.
BTW the reason why the Canada develops such a misille is simple - I think they will not have next gen tanks after Leopard retires and they will use Strykers - that means they needs the best(and light) antitank weapons for the Stryker to ba able to stand against the MBTs...
And they can also export it and make some money. So why should they not develop it? For example, Australia researchs screamjets, and they will very liikely have no screamjet propelled aircraft in the future...

[edit on 11-6-2005 by longbow]

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by tomcat ha
If it works good it will most likely get cancelled anyway stupid canadians.

exactly. and why would they need one anyways? nobody cares enough about canada to attack them and theyre too weak to attack anybody else. seriously.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join