WAR: Saddam's Lawyers "In The Dark" Over Charges

page: 1

join

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Saddam Hussein's trial could start within months, but his Jordanian based legal team claim they have not received any of the 8 million documents relating to the case against him. The Iraqi government has pared down the total charges he'll be facing to just 12, from earlier speculation that it could be as many as 500. However, Saddam's lawyers say they still haven't been formally told which charges he'll face.

news.bbc.co.uk
Saddam Hussein's lawyers say they have not yet been given any details of the case against him.

But the lawyers say they have none of the estimated eight million documents relating to the case, and have not been formally told of the charges.

A spokesman for the legal team, Issam Ghazzawi, said recent pictures of Saddam Hussein in his underwear that appeared in the British Sun newspaper showed that the former Iraqi leader's basic human rights were being violated.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While I believe he's probably guilty of at least that many serious crimes, I hope that there won't be questions about the validity of his trial. Since the US is involved (behind the scenes) and this will be the first real test of the new Iraqi government's commitment to "human rights", I hope the world will see fair and transparent justice being done.

[edit on 6/10/2005 by mythatsabigprobe]

join