It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Tarot work?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Yes, they work. In most circumstances. The reader must be familiar with the cards and how to read them. Both the reader and the subject must have open minds. Also, it is not good for the reader to have a personal relationship with the subject.

One other thing. Lots of people don't know much about Tarot, so they will often try to scare you by leaving the card of "Death". The Death card is not a bad card at all. It simply means that a part of your life will be ending, and there is a new begining (a rebirth) of that phase of your life.

If they know anything about Tarrot, and want to scare you, they will leave you the "Nine of Swords". That is the worst possible card to get. But not necessarily at all phases of the reading. Only at the very end.

Yeah, it works.

posted on Jul, 9 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Tarot both works and is a lie. it basically depends on the cardreader.

If you know how to manipulate people, which has become suprisingly easily these days, it's a fake. you can lay cards and read emotions and facial expressions and play with that. tell the "client" excactely what they want to hear. but are you answering the question that person had? no, you're not. you're just telling them what they want to hear and give them that little push they need to fullfill their own prophecy.

if you have a reader that actually knows what they're doing they don't need to manipulate. just like the case explained above you need to draw cards. while doing this you conciously or unconciously pick the cards you need. you're guided by your guides/guardians to pick the right cards.

The reader will lay the cards in a pattern and then read what is laying in front of him her. a proper reader will also get images in his/her head while doing the reading. these will be interpetated(Sp?) and explained to the "client". as a little extra's to the cards themselves.

it's true that cards give a very global reading which can be understood in many ways. like a vague horoscope in a magazine. but if the "client" had a specific question in their mind a more detailed answer will come out of it.

tarot basically talks about past events and things occuring now as well as events that will "most likely" take place in the near future. keep in mind that most of the future is not set in stone and can be altered depending on your choices and decisions. however certain events ARE set in stone. these are the events which are very important to you such as certain lifes lessons and death. you can't change the future of those specific events because they're set in stone and are important to you and thus you can prevent it from happening. BUT they will just happen anyway in another form within a day or 2. you can only look about 3 weeks ahead in time with certainty, if you go further you'll notice to much changes due to free will and decisions that can be made which will cause the future of the individual to go into another side street.

Tarots are mainly used to give you new insight and possible solutions and answers. after a reading is done do not live like it's the way to go. forget about the reading and when things occur then think...oh yah that's what was said in the reading...

as for spirits, demons, angels being used...people give those way to much credit and don't know what they're on about, except for the outdated beliefs from a book. everything is energetic work. and a lot if not most of it comes from within ourselves. Jesus, God, Satan WILL NEVER come to aid you or kick you down. it's your guides and guardians and no one else, no matter what people claim. but then again christians easily condemn and judge that which they don't understand and everything is the devils work when they don't agree with something. they even refuse to accept the gifts given by their so called god. it's a pity

then again i got some items that contain spirits, but they're elementals.

best way to do a tarot reading is to let the individual think about their question then let them breath and clear their mind while picking the cards needed from the deck. the higher self/inner being whatever you wanna call it of that individual will pick the cards that hold the answer to the question asked. a proper reader, not a wanna-be or charlatan, will read the cards and will also get flashes of images or messages to relay to the client.

and no stupid questions like "what's my name" won't be answered. it's like asking a pendle a question you already know the answer to.

can't wait for my new deck to arrive

--

black and white magic = no difference
that is the dumbest reaction i read in a while on this board. you say you did all that and still know nothing about it? missy i've been doing this for over 12 life times now and there IS a difference. not the difference people associate with it though.

according to the defination of mankind White magic resembles all that which is good. even the church uses this in their prayer and rituals. Do no harm is the motto of white magic according to man. Black magic automatically is the opposite and therefore it's "evil" and used only to cause harm to others.

that defination is FLAWED beyond belief. the difference in that type of magic is on an energetic level. magic = energy...different wording for excactely the same thing. people who use energy for their paranormal gifts are doing magic, everyone who is doing magic is using energy. get the drift?

there is no right or wrong concept in the usage of magic whether it's black or white or bleu or brown etc. the intent of the user is that which turns the magic bad or good. the cause it is used for is important. black magic can heal and white magic can traumatise people just as well as it can be done vice versa. don't go blaming gods or such when it is yourself doing the evil things. remember...free will and such? but a lot of people think it's cool to do black arts because it stands for everything which is bad according to mankinds definition of it. it's pathetic to say the least.

i personaly use White, Grey and Blue magic.

but finding people who are strong in mind these days is tough. "satan", even though it's Beelzabub in charge of the demonic hierarchy, is having a field day for quite a few decennia now. why? because people want to according to their decisions and life styles.

---
right and wrong, good and evil neither excists. only you excist and your intent. your soul personality whether it's demonic, celestial or something else defines what you should do. what excists is Order and Chaos. everyone fulfills their role in this to maintain Order in the world.

you should do what makes you happy and what others say or do is not important. if your soul personality is to aid people then do so, if your personality is to kill others then do so. both are needed for the greater good and balance.

unfortunately people made their own justice and beliefs system which is forced down on others over time and now globally excepted. what happened to "don't judge unless you want to be judged yourself?". since when do we have the right to judge each other according to our own internal feelings of what is good and wrong? let the deities/gods and the karma system do their work instead of taking upon yourselves to judge people who you don't agree with.

good and evil is a subjectief concept which differs for every individual. what makes you feel good or bad feels different to me. i might like what you hate and vice versa.

[edit on 9-7-2005 by Enyalius]

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
thelibra....liked your post....sums it up nicely.

I had a 'hot deck' as some one said, several years ago. I had them with me one day, when my then boyfriend took me to a family outing. When he mentioned that I had them with me, several of the family wanted to 'have their fortune read', and I relunctantly complied. ( I did not want them to automatically label me evil, for obvious reasons!LOL )

I made the usual 'disclaimers' and most were tame readings, except one. It was really grim.....violence, anger, betrayal....etc....just short of the nine of swords. I glossed it over, even outright lied about what I saw there. ( again, having just met these, maybe future inlaws.....did not want to be putting them off right away!)

About a week later, I found out that person was in the middle of a messy divorce - violence included- that they had tried to keep secret from the rest of the family. Can you imagine the response I would have gotten if I had 'outed' them right then and there!! Would it have made matters worse, or would it have helped them deal ? Still, I felt relieved that I had kept it 'quiet'.

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I remember drawing 8 Swords, 9 Swords, 5 Pentacles, The Moon, The Tower.

All in one spread.

For me.

Needless to say, that was one of the occasions where I said to myself "Oh, this is a load of pooey anyway".

O'course I had nightmares about it, but hey.

I've done readings since I was about 12 years old (my grandfather was a self-proclaimed "medium", and both he and an Aunt "read the cards"), and I still believe that the cards are good as indicators of a possible future, if you stay on the current path; also as, if you will, a guideline towards or against future actions.

There is a lot to be said for cold and warm reading. I did both, for many years (until I stopped reading, actually); not so much as a deliberate scam, but to get more of a picture of how the cards related to a particular querent.

I don't think any future is set in stone, nor do I think anyone can truly foresee the future.

But that's just me

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
What makes these cards you buy at a store so special?? How can they predict the future???? I cannot believe people actually believe in this crap. And if I offend you...GOOD..someone needs to.

Bunk Bunk Bunk

I can't believe people are so easy fooled. Wait...all you believe in Magic also right....or do you spell it Majik!!!!!

bunk bunk bunk

posted on Jul, 11 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sport Kensington
What makes these cards you buy at a store so special?? How can they predict the future???? I cannot believe people actually believe in this crap. And if I offend you...GOOD..someone needs to.

Bunk Bunk Bunk

I can't believe people are so easy fooled. Wait...all you believe in Magic also right....or do you spell it Majik!!!!!

bunk bunk bunk

Instead of coming off so antagonistic...how bout you stop and give reasons why you think it's all bunk?

This isn't kindergarten. Don't lower yourself to that level.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 04:09 AM
link   
saying "bunk bunk bunk" is really pathetic indeed. i estimate his age at 12.

i really can't wait to get the Cosmic Tarot deck

www.aeclectic.net...

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Yes
I am the childish one as you sit around discussing how playing with a deck of cards can enlighten you on the future.

Do I need a reason to call this bunk? It's a joke. Like I said, my ex-gf makes killer money doing this b.s. on sucka's. It's no better than going to a pyschic and having them do a cold reading on you.

Sorry, I don't believe that deck you bought at Spencers has any majikal powers not do I believe any of you on here have any majikal powers. If I am wrong, please do not strike me with elephantitus of the genitals or anything.

But my job isn't to prove you wrong, your job is to prove to me your belief is real

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Sorry, I don't believe that deck you bought at Spencers has any majikal powers not do I believe any of you on here have any majikal powers. If I am wrong, please do not strike me with elephantitus of the genitals or anything.

But my job isn't to prove you wrong, your job is to prove to me your belief is real

Perhaps you didn't read all of the posts.

Not everyone believes the cards have any "majikal" powers. In fact, most posters have quite clearly shared the view that there's no power to the cards themselves - any information shared during a reading comes from the reader's interpretation, and from the querent. As with any "tool", it has no inherent "power" itself (chainsaws notwithstanding).

So...what was your point again?

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
why should we have to prove anything to you?

i already explained how it works.

using them to tell the future is just something most people think it does without actually going deeper into it. so basically you're misunderstanding the entire concept of the Tarot, just like most people do.

ignorance is bliss, live it to the fullest untill you're finally ready to look beyond your own nose.

posted on Jul, 12 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It's snake oil.

People "charging" people to read their TAROT CARDS are fakes and snake oil salesmen.

Trust me though, I am not laying 100% of the blame of perpetuating this myth on the TAROT "READERS", if there wasn't people so gulligle in the first place to believe these cards work, all TAROT "READERS" would be out of a job and hobby. I cannot really believe that people would believe reading tarot works, but then again their are people calling the pyschic hotlines daily at $2.99 a minute. There is one born every minute.

I have these tea leaves in my cup, and everytime I drink a cup of tea it tells a fortune.

And the only response to me saying BUNK is that I am 12....yeah, I am the one believing in magic cards......you know it's bunk...quit trying to sell it as real.

Not meaning to fan any flames...just stating my opinion...and not trying to start any fights..especially any fights that may involve magical powers because I have none.

[edit on 12-7-2005 by Sport Kensington]

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Again you seem to be missing the bit where people have said...and this obviously bears repeating....

The. Cards. Are. NOT. Magic/k/al.

Intuition, cold-reading, warm-reading - these play parts in "readings". Not magic. Not demons. Not spirits.

Bunk, you keep saying? Which bit? We can prove that intuition, cold-reading and warm-reading can provide an accurate tarot reading.

And though nobody should need to defend themselves....not everyone actually charges money for readings.

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Does anyone here even know the History of Tarot Cards..? This is being made up as we go along

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Does anyone here even know the History of Tarot Cards..? This is being made up as we go along

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
Tarot cards are actually another form of misleading one to the lies of the devil......for only God knows the future ....

Because the devil reads one's mind and just goes with what you seek to know.....not that ONE CAN TELL THE FUTURE!

Ignorance is sometimes bliss... but other times...

The Tarot were originally designed and created by the Kabala. Who? Jewish scholars who believed in finding GOD you had to discover the truth in all things. Has anyone ever noticed the sacred Tree of Life mixed in the cards? Or the hebrew lettering?

The Cards were ONLY made to meditate upon. They were arranged in numerical order, in a circle shape, with the viewer sitting inside. No one knows where the "Fool" card was placed... not knowing if its number 0 was to be the beginning or end...

Anyway... the viewer got the message they wanted... symbolic meaning which could be used in a relative way. Or perhaps a vision. Or a metaphoric dream. Who knows. The use of the cards has become bastardized over the years into a fortune-telling device.

Me, I do use the cards to predict outcomes... but I also place them under ouija boards to contact different entities or aspects. I have yet to try the original method of use.

Now to get to those lovely freakin' quotes.

The tarot are a path of lies created by the devil... hmm, yes indeed. Jewish hebrews, gnostics, kabalists... damned devil-worshipers. And they say they believe in God? That they strive to seperate the TRUTH from what is excepted?! LIES! ALL LIES!!

NO one can tell the future except unto God herself!
Yes, I did say herself on purpose... anyway... With the exception of the numerous prophets within the Bible. Does seeing the future also include divining meanings from dreams or visions? Seems there were quite a few of those in the Bible, too.

Well, until people finally admit that God created the Devil, and ALL is in HIS plans, then make mine ATS!

posted on Jul, 14 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
soothsayer -

Being an old dab hand at tarot readings myself (though not recently), I've had to do the requisite research into the topic. Like ya do

Anyway. The origins have never actually been proven, correct?

Obviously, I can't paste entire passages from books, but I can perhaps give a couple of links as to the apparent origins, and theories therein.

On the origins of tarot

Web sources, from same site

Neat essay on the possible origins

Another site - scroll down past the obvious bookselling attempts....

Obligatory wikipedia linky

Any comments, anyone?

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:27 AM
link   
lets get this topic started again, see what the newer members have to say about it! Any takers?

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I have wondered if it might work but I have a few reservations about it.

1. If you did ten different readings would you get ten different answers? It seems like you would have to have a" lets take the first reading and run with it rule". You would have to have a stopping point somewhere so as to not have mass confusion.

2. The other question I have about it is exactly what does it all mean? For instance just to stare at the cards for say 5 minutes a day or how ever long you like, letting those photos burn into your concious.

I had a weird sort of class in my dreams kind of thing one night where someone was instructing me to visualise a Tarot card image and not just stare at it in your mind but try to zoom in and out on it. And it was really weird but the image in my mind sort of came to life in vivid colors it was really freaky. The image was not of any on a popular Tarot card but that of a blonde girl with blue eyes.

The only divination I have everdone myself for my self was very positive but I couldn't help but wonder what would the answer be if I did it again?

I personaly find the Tarot very facinating and have an A.E. Waite Deck myself. I posted earlier ( to which I got ZERO responce, LOL I even killed my own thread :lol) about a lady who was successful reading cards and quit when her best friend's husband killed himself after a negative reading. Keep in mind the husband did not know anything about the reading. I was mistaken about it being a Tarot reading though, she used regular playing cards to read. That was my wifes grandmother who did the reading.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
well, here's some answers to your questions:

If you did ten different readings would you get ten different answers? It seems like you would have to have a" lets take the first reading and run with it rule". You would have to have a stopping point somewhere so as to not have mass confusion.

Each time you do it it gives a different point of time, maybe sooner, maybe later, it also gives different aspects on the question!

I can't really answer your second question!

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by speight89
well, here's some answers to your questions:

If you did ten different readings would you get ten different answers? It seems like you would have to have a" lets take the first reading and run with it rule". You would have to have a stopping point somewhere so as to not have mass confusion.

Each time you do it it gives a different point of time, maybe sooner, maybe later, it also gives different aspects on the question!

I can't really answer your second question!

I see Tinkle flower has posted some links on Tarot I'll give them a read and see if I am any less ignorant on the subject. The dream I mentioned has also happened while sort of meditating during the day. The images were sort of animated looking characters not real human like. More like cartoons. It's pretty scarry when it happens.

Many times I have dreamed of being in a class being instructed in deep knowledge that I knew nothing of. The problem is when I wake up I'm lucky to remember just a few words of what was being said.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join