It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Tarot work?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
In my many years of reading tarot cards they have always worked for me. I don't know how they work but they do. Have they worked for anyone here?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Tarot.....

I use to do Tarot......tarot cards or whatever mens*EDIT*(MEANS NOT mens) you have to tell the future(which is a complete lie based on lies and deception)is not what it seems.

Tarot cards are actually another form of misleading one to the lies of the devil......for only God knows the future ....

Why does tarot or other means of future/fortune telling seem to come true?

Because the devil reads one's mind and just goes with what you seek to know.....not that ONE CAN TELL THE FUTURE!

when I use to do tarot, i also was good at ''mind reading'' yes, I use to be able to mind read others thoughts (without wanting) and I myself was amazed.....and thought''GEE I'M GOOD!''
BUT all this was because I was deceived into thinking that I could tell the future, when all that I could do was read the mind of others, with help from the Devil or his demons!

Very similar to doing ''Seances'' you ask the questions out loud or in your mind, and the spirits(demons) answer you with what they know of your THOUGHTS ....not that they know the future......they do not!

Tarot reading is just another form of deceit and soul corrupting LIES .....

Also when a fortune teller will tell someone something, it only happens because you want it to happen, so you strive for it to happen......

Aliens......another deception of the devil......they too read minds .

Test the spirits?
Yes you can!
When one says the ''Jesus Prayer''.....Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have mercy on me a sinner''
This prayer has been used by ''The Desert Monks'' of Egypt and Mount Athos for against demonic forces and evil.....it worked then, and still works today.

IX
helen.

[edit on 6/10/2005 by helen670]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I had a strange experience with tarot on a couple of occasions. The first time a girl i new [a right sort, she had nine cats] was into tarot and quite knowledgeable on the subject. She said she would read my tarot. I won’t go to much into detail but what she read in my cards happened to THE EXACT about 4 months after she told me, and it was quite an in depth reading.

So does tarot work? I would say yes, because the second time i had them read it came true to.

I read a little into the history of tarot its quite interesting its sort of evolved over time. I been thinking about learning tarot for ages. Maybe I’ll get around to it one day. Here’s a couple of the better links i found on tarot. You might want to do a google search on Alistair Crowley and tarot cards also.

jktarot.com...

www.holisticshop.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Helen is 100% correct!

My experiences are much the same as Helen's. I USED to do Tarot and
I was very, very good at it. I had a 'hot deck' and I could basically read
the person's mind (or whatever) and know what was going on.

I became more religious 15 years ago and got rid of the deck. I confessed
my participation in the occult and haven't touched a deck since.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by speight89
In my many years of reading tarot cards they have always worked for me. I don't know how they work but they do. Have they worked for anyone here?

Yes and no. It depends on the talent of the reader.

They are basically a tool for building a "consensual reality" (that's what they do best.) They are lousy at predicting the future (you can 'get' some common events... most people will marry, most who are having marital troubles will get them worked out if only for a time, most people will get more money if they're encouraged even subtly to do something to get it.)

Think of them as a way to encourage you to think "out of the box."

Let me give you an example... right now, I'm worried about what happens after grad school ends (in August) and I have to go job hunting. So, I'm going to (right now) head over to a tarot site and do a card reading for myself (because I don't have cards with me right now):

I went here:
www.facade.com...

And picked the Cat People Tarot (because I met the artist once and I love the artwork!) and picked a "celtic cross" (standard) spread. I get....

The card not shown but at the center of the cross, represents the atmosphere surrounding the central issue. Queen of Wands: A sympathetic and understanding person. Friendly, loving, honorable and chaste person. Practicality. Feminine charm and grace. Capacity for meaningful expression and love. Gracious hostess. Sincere interest in others

Well, I think to myself, who can that be? There's a woman at the job center here at the university who's been helping me rewrite my resume. So I think it must mean that she will be a key to finding a good job!

(notice how the cards don't REALLY say "go to a counselor for jobs." They suggest something and I make it relevant to my own life. This is how the cards work. Someone else might see "oh, that' my mother!" or "That's my friend Margaret!")

Card 2:

The card visible at the center of the cross represents the obstacle that stands in your way - it may even be something that sounds good but is not actually to your benefit. Nine of Swords (Cruelty): Misery. Concern. Quarrel. Unhappiness. Miscarriage. Anxiety over a loved one. Worry. Despair. Suffering.

Well, I'm worried about my kids and I've gotten to the hair pulling stage (both are between jobs, so we're supporting a total of six people and three households on our income right now. Argh.)

Card 3:

The card at the top of the cross represents your goal, or the best you can achieve without a dramatic change of priorities. Page of Wands, when reversed: Indecision in proceeding. Reluctance. Instability. Inability to make decisions. A gossip. Bearer of bad tidings. A person who may break one's heart. Displeasure

So in MY situation, that means if I don't change things, I'll end up with a nothing kind of job that I won't enjoy.

See how this works?

Card 4

The card at the bottom of the cross represents the foundation on which the situation is based. Queen of Swords, when reversed: Narrow-minded. Maliciousness. Bigotry. Deceitfulness. Vengefulness. Prudishness. A treacherous enemy. An ill-tempered person

I lost the last job when I was downsized, and yes there was an element of narrowmindedness about it. At least two men (one of whom sleeps on the job) who could have been retired were let go. Another woman and I (both of us worked hard and had brought in a lot of projects for the employer) were let go. It wasn't an overt sexism that you could have pointed out, but it was interesting that those two men (one of whom falls asleep at his desk) were kept and we were sent packing.

...and so on and so forth.

Do you see how the client actually interprets the message to think outside the box?

The rest of the reading was rather negative, so I'm going to recast the reading (something *I* do if I don't like the outcome) to see a better path. If you leave the negatives up, it will have an emotional impact on you.

(I accepted this reading:
The card in the middle represents the creative force behind the project, be it a person, organization, or other entity. The Wheel of Fortune, when reversed: Failure. Ill luck. Broken sequence. Unexpected bad fate.
The card on the top represents imagination - the prophetic image that stems from the creative force of the previous card to initiate the project. Five of Pentacles (Worry), when reversed: Reversal of bad trend. New interests.
The card on the left represents emotion - the feelings aroused by or surrounding the ideation of the project that takes place in the previous card. This is the music or scent of the undertaking. Two of Pentacles (Change), when reversed: Literary ability. Agility in handling matters.
The card on the bottom represents thought - the analytical process of organizing the project and capturing the emotional content of the previous card. This is the science or vision of the undertaking. Queen of Swords: Sharp, quick-witted, keen person. Intense perceptions. A subtle person. One who has savored great happiness but who presently knows the anxiety of misfortune and reversal.
The card on the right represents manifestation - the real work involved in completing the project, and the form it will take upon culmination. Nine of Cups (Happiness): Success. Material attainment. Advantage. Well-being. Abundance. Good health. Victory. Difficulties surmounted. )

The significance of NOT accepting a bad reading is that I now look to the future and start thinking what I can do to bring the good stuff out.

See how it works?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Gee Byrd......I kinda have to agree with you!
Well,
not kinda,but i do!

Now as for what I beleive and to what my experiences on the subject may well be different to yours......

Flyers......I was into the paranormal(/tarot/seances/u.f.o's/witchcraft(call it white or black NO DIFFERENCE!)quite alot,and everyday I would spend my time just fooling myself into believing a whole lot of lies and get influenced by things I did not know of,well, thinking that it was my doing"Pride" and trying to influence others of my lies which at the time to me, were actual truths I beleived in!
.....It still interests me, but not for the sake of partaking , but to warn others of how real Satan is and how cunning and deceitful with full of LIES !......I have had demons talk to me......but at the time I was not aware of what exactly it was...Lucky for me I did not try to follow the voices....I got scared and said a few prayers/and had nightmares!
Then tore up the pieces of paper(seance) and down the toilet I flushed SATAN.....

Well, He must have got out the other end of the pipe........he still is around!
IX
helen

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
As always, I hesitate to respond to this thread because of the fear and paranoia that always gets expressed here on the subject of anything occult.

No difference between 'white' and 'black' witchcraft, are you kidding me? There is a rather huge difference between people who pledge to 'do no harm' and those who cause pain and suffering for personal gain.

Tarot cards are tools for self-discovery, their use for telling the future is a slight perversion of what they are intended to do. The reason they are used as they are is that real knowledge of a person can lead to the ability to predict the future to some degree. Mostly they draw on how the person in question is going to react to certain events to hint at what will happen.

The cards help you to tap into the infinite knowledge of your Intuition as well as the common pool of thought that is humanity. From there you can learn a lot.

Oh, and there is not a person alive who has not had a dream that came true. Most people supress this knowledge but that does not make it less real. Actions and Reactions are the cause of events, and so it makes sense that we can see ahead a little bit now and again.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander Tau
No difference between 'white' and 'black' witchcraft, are you kidding me? There is a rather huge difference between people who pledge to 'do no harm' and those who cause pain and suffering for personal gain

A.T
(-)

black and white refers to the energy they use. in no way it shows if they use it to harm others or not. nor does it say that one is evil and the other is not.

only the motive of the individual channeling that energy is evil or not. you can not blame the type of energy used but only the caster of it.

as for tarot...if done by someone who knows what they are doing. then yes it works. make sure to ask for a detailed lay and ask a specific question. else you get a pretty global one which isn't great.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I think tarot works as an indication of what could happen if you continue on a certain path.

Nothing more, nothing less.

We can't truly predict the future to any great degree; the best we can do is use experience and reason to predict a possible future.

Which is how I think most divination works.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Having spent many a day as a charlatan fortune teller I can assure you that Tarot does work. Especially if the skill of the fortuneteller is some what decent. Yes, i've even made money at it.

I read the Thoth deck and still have it nestled in the blue Crown Royal bag that I keep it in, just waiting for the next person to ask me to read for them.

I say that i'm a charlatan because i'm really not psychic. You don't need to be psychic to read the cards. You need only be perceptive. You see, Tarot cards still carry a serious taboo in our puritan society and someone isn't going to ask you to read for them just for the fun of it. They damn sure aren't going to pay unless they have something specific in mind.

They will ask about one of two things...always. Love or money.

I always tell the querant that I DO NOT want to know of the question or situation which they are asking the spiritual realm about. I then have them shuffle the deck, while thinking on the subject that is bothering them, and when they are comfortable with where the cards are, to hand them to me.

You can honestly look at them and know what they are asking about. It's not psychic, its common sense.

It works too. Every time i've read the cards the querant has told me that the situation turned out EXACTLY as the cards foretold that they would. Of course it did, I wasn't just telling them what the cards said, i was also telling them what they wanted to hear.

Only one person, one usurper of my outlandishness, has ever flat out said I was totally wrong. Remember I said I always told them i did not want to know the question they were going to ask? Well, she asked the cards, in the quiet of her own mind, "What is my middle name?" (Now, how dumb is that?)

The skill of the foretuneteller is paramount to a good reading. Far more important then what the cards actually say.

This is just MHO though.

Wupy

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   

black and white refers to the energy they use. in no way it shows if they use it to harm others or not. nor does it say that one is evil and the other is not.

If that is what it mean to you, ok. But in my 20+ years of study the terms have always been used based on intent. And I do think that is what the average, non-mystical, person thinks the terms mean.

mrwupy,

I am curious, did you ever attempt to use the cards as they are intended, for personal knowledge? Since you said you did not really read the cards when you used them for profit I am just curious.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jun, 11 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   

mrwupy,

I am curious, did you ever attempt to use the cards as they are intended, for personal knowledge? Since you said you did not really read the cards when you used them for profit I am just curious.
A.T(-)

When I read the cards I would lay them out, Go thru and explain each card to the querant, sometimes even bringoing out the book and explaining EXACTLY what the meaning of the card was.

The interpretation is where I took my liberties.

Hope that answers your question.

Wupy

posted on Jun, 12 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   

If that is what it mean to you, ok. But in my 20+ years of study the terms have always been used based on intent. And I do think that is what the average, non-mystical, person thinks the terms mean.
A.T
(-)

downside of being human. misunderstanding a lot and thinking Right and Wrong/Good and Evil actually excists outside our plain of excistense.

Black arts can heal, so can white, grey, blue and many more. Same way you can use it to harm others. in the end it's always the individual faults never the type of "art" or energy that you use.

Tarot itself isn't a gift. everyone can do it, but only a few can do it right. doing a global lay is easy. but when you start asking specific life questions you can find out of someone is talking bull or not. even using psychology and looking at peoples reactions becomes harder then

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Opps, two replies to me I missed, sorry about that

When I read the cards I would lay them out, Go thru and explain each card to the querant, sometimes even bringoing out the book and explaining EXACTLY what the meaning of the card was.

The interpretation is where I took my liberties.

Hope that answers your question.

Not really. The proper use of the cards is to learn about oneself, they are a tool that can bring out what is hidden inside of us and force us to face them directly. What I was asking was if you ever did this for yourself?

downside of being human. misunderstanding a lot and thinking Right and Wrong/Good and Evil actually excists outside our plain of excistense.

Those concepts are very human and matter right here. My concern has always been for the people who are alive today and their quality of life. What matters is intent and how we ourselves see our actions. We believe in right and wrong and each person has their own unique view on it. That is what cannot be violated, what you think is wrong not what others think.

If you violate your own personal sense of right and wrong you will cause yourself to suffer, no diety or other power required.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Does Tarot work...

Well, it really depends on what you mean by "work".

Does it sometimes (or often/always) give startling revelations about the person having the cards read? Yes.

Does reading the cards sometimes/often/always predict the future? Yes.

Are the events written in stone? No.

Are the events dictated by magic, demons, angels, spirits, or space monkeys? (shrug) Possibly.

Is it just a game of psychology? (shrug) Possibly.

Are the predictions self-fulfilling? (shrug) Possibly.

I've been reading Tarot cards for almost 18 years now. Even back when I was a Christian, I was experimenting with them, because I'd found a pack of them in my grandfather's desk once he died. I never felt it conflicted with my religious beliefs, because I never offered up any sort of sacrifice, nor did I implore anyone or anything to offer its assistance. I simply had the person write their name on a piece of paper, burnt it, and sprinkled the ashes over the deck, had them shuffle it till they felt like "the cards were in the right place" and then I dealt out a spread.
Invariably, it's been an accurate read.

Is it because of Satan? Doubt it. When I first started, I was an avid Christian, and desired to be a minister later on in life. I read and studied the Bible daily.

Is it because of Magic? Doubt it. At the time I had never studied magic and figured magic was something Merlin did with sticks and fireballs.

Is it because of Spirits? Maybe. Grandfather and I were pretty close. He came to me in a dream in the same 30 minute timeframe that he died, and I knew when I awoke that he had died. He too was a staunch Christian (a 32nd level Mason in fact) and a real-life mad scientist. So basically, I wasn't all that surprised that some residue of his spirit remained when he died. I figured if a respectable upstanding man such as himself were able to use Tarot and still be a good man, then I could too.

It is said that fear is only ignorance, amplified. By the time anyone got around to telling me that tarot cards were evil, I already knew more about them than this accuser had ever so much as read. I knew they weren't evil, because I was still very much a good person, with strong moral christian values, still loved Jesus, prayed each day and night, and didn't go around sinning even a quarter as much as my allegedly devout peers who accused me of a satanic practice. To me, the 10 Commandments were LAW, not "suggestions". If anything, they were the satanists.

It is for this, and other extreme and constant hypocracies I witnessed that eventually led me to leave the Christian faith and choose a path closer to God. One that stripped away the trappings of a book and church, and focused on divinity in lieu of money.

Sorry, a tangent was travelled. I mean to say that tarot cards are in no way Satanic, and there is absolutely no emprical or historical evidence to suggest it is, other than the words of self-righteous pharisees who would impose their views on others.

That said, tarot can also be a big crock of grunt.

As Byrd suggested, a large part of it is due to the reader's ability to interpret the cards, the context they lay out, and the person having their cards read. My personal opinion is this: neither magic nor divination should ever be done for money. Once money enters the picture, there becomes an alterior motive that influences everything in a negative way. I stopped charging following an incident where a friend of a friend couldn't afford the $5 I charged, so he left on a trip without advice. During the trip he was hospitalized in an accident. Does it mean I could have prevented it? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe my advice would have made it worse even. However, I'd turned away someone who wanted advice just because they couldn't cough up $5.

Not everyone comes seeking advice on Love or Money. And not every fortune is a happy one. Perhaps my most vivid memory of reading the cards was when an annoyed looking mother brought her daughter to me and requested I read her daughter's cards, giving my (by then) standard disclaimer that I only read the cards, I don't dictate them. So don't come to me looking for tales of a tall dark stranger or bags of gold...

The mother just nodded and I laid out the cards. It was the most horrible, disturbing spread I'd ever seen. I apologized profusely and offered to re-deal, but the child said no, to continue. Again, apologizing I gave the interpretation as best I could. Someone in her life was hurting her terribly, and if her life continued along this course she would later down the road end up romantically involved with someone who would eventually destroy her. The only advice the cards gave to avoid this future was to run away as quickly as possible.

The mother began to cry, the daughter just stared at the cards, occasionally asking what one meant. After I'd awkwardly answered the questions, and let the mother calm down, she thanked me, and confided in me that her husband had been abusing her for some time, and had only recently begun to hit their daughter. She wasn't sure where she was going to go, but she knew now that she needed to run.

I had never hated myself and been so happy at the same time. To gain that sort of terrible insight into someone else's life was very disconcerting. After that reading, I more or less stopped any semblence of active practice. I have perhaps done maybe five readings since then.

posted on Jul, 5 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I have been using the Tarot Cards since the late 1970s and have also done it professionally. Like the Spirit/Ouija Board, the Tarot is just a tool for channeling Spirit. If you go about it in an insincere way, you louse up the accuracy and insight of the information received.

When you concentrate on your question and shuffle the cards, you, along with Spirit, arrange the symbols in order to answer the inquiry.

As with any kind of mediumship/channeling/invoking, etc., sometimes the energy doesn't work right through no fault of the intepreter/medium/mystic.

In which case, you just make an inquiry another time.

The best questions to ask are decision/route questions, like: "What will happen if I pursue a serious relationship with this person?" As opposed to: "What will happen to me in the next six months?" type of inquiries.

The future is not written in stone. Some events are possibilities and some are probabilities. If you know about a probable event, sometimes you can alter it.

For example, there is the true story of the man who had a reoccuring nightmare about being with his family and drowning in icy waters while on vacation. After a time, he felt that he had had enough and canceled his family's reservations for the maiden voyage onbard the ill-fated Titanic.

By knowing about a probable future, one can change the present and thereby change the future.

It is a blessing to provide insight to people who may be in danger. This in itself is a service to God in defending one or more innocents

[edit on 5-7-2005 by Paul_Richard]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Tarot cards exist on varying levels.

They have been used to transmit data in graphic form for thousands of years. This is their original intent, and there are very few people left that understand them in this manner

They are used by people to earn a living, good bad or indifferent

They are used to tell fortunes and futures.

As far as magic, the forces of Nature exist in of themselves. they are not good nor bad. What people do with them determine the intent.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
pychics use cold readings by doing tarrot its just guess work anything (kinda the same)could happen if someone pulls out a card and says you will be very sad it could mean forclosing on there morgage losing a arm or anything you can just filll in the blank space.

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Used properly, the cards are much more than the basis for guesswork. Skilled users can beat the odds with remarkable frequency. There are limitations, bad questions are the most common, but used right, almost perfect.

Just a quick estimate, but I have probably spent a good couple of hundred hours either working with, or watching, these cards. They really do beat chance far too often not to be taken seriously.

A.T
(-)

posted on Jul, 8 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
My hippie ex-gf makes a killing doing Tarot for rich people in Atl. She knows it is total bs but she will never say it because in order for her to sell it to the people she could never be negative towards it. Meaning she knows its crap but if she says it, it could change her performance. She is quite the grifter....damn I miss her......

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join