It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mtv, what are they scared of?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
the band Nine Inch Nails have pulled out of the MTV Movie awards after MTV refused their request to have a backdrop of George Bush, which they wanted while they sang their song.
On their site, the band made a statement saying something like:
"Apparently, MTV find the image of George Bush as offensive as we do"

I remember also Eminems video Mosh, which MTV cut out a part of it, where the guy in the video had the photo of Bush in his basement.
Whats happening here?.....you'd expect to find this sort of thing in North Korea. But America?

MTv Site...Nine Inch Nails pull out of MTV Awards

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
MTV is owned by Viacom. Sumner Redstone, the CEO of the company, said this last year:

www.opinionjournal.com...

"I don't want to denigrate Kerry,"but from a Viacom standpoint, the election of a Republican administration is a better deal. Because the Republican administration has stood for many things we believe in, deregulation and so on. The Democrats are not bad people. . . . But from a Viacom standpoint, we believe the election of a Republican administration is better for our company."

This is why NIN was dropped. They do not go against the wishes of their bosses less they lose their jobs.

[edit on 10-6-2005 by heelstone]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
No it has nothing to do with favoring republicans its about music, and the average person who watches MTV wants to see his music and shows, not be told who to vote for and who to hate. You want to sing and show political things go to a rally, I just want to watch my music. While I like Eminem and his music I really don't give a ... about what his political views are.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
This is why NIN was dropped. They do not go against the wishes of their bosses less they lose their jobs.

I think you misunderstood the article... NIN dropped themselves, because MTV dropped the Bush picture. The question is why would MTV not allow images of Bush to be shown?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
MTV is Owned by Jews.

And Jews Like Bush.

Result:

No Anti-Bush-Stuff on MTV.

Pretty Simple.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   

No it has nothing to do with favoring republicans its about music, and the average person who watches MTV wants to see his music and shows, not be told who to vote for and who to hate. You want to sing and show political things go to a rally, I just want to watch my music. While I like Eminem and his music I really don't give a ... about what his political views are

there are loads of songs which are political, its not necessary that they refused to show Bushs picture because they thought people might not want to hear politics. Any video tells a story, its not always that you agree with them, if you like the song, fine. I am sure there will be some artists on MTV Awards who will bore me, but that doesnt mean they should pull out. My point being...if they wanted a picture of bush, they should have got it. It should not have been refused because MTV were scared of offending your leader.
And as for the previous poster remarks about Viacom and Republicans. Can you honestly say this would have happened with any previous Republican President?
Times are changing, i feel. We are more scared to say things about this guy than i can ever remeber. Why is that?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
I think you misunderstood the article... NIN dropped themselves, because MTV dropped the Bush picture. The question is why would MTV not allow images of Bush to be shown?

Either way, the musical group isn't going to show up as a result of the Bush picture. I believe the quote I posted still answers the question regardless of who dropped who.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
For crying out loud.

I watched MTV for 15 minutes this morning and saw a preview for the "Real World: Austin". Prominently featured were a couple chicks straight makin' out. Last year's Real World had two of the seven cast members being gay. There's a very disproportionate amount of gayness on MTV. That's not conservative, that's not Bush-Republican friendly.

MTV's "Rock the Vote" was essentially a push to get out the young vote for John Kerry. It was blatant.

I saw the last ten minutes of the Movie Awards. Napolean Dynomite beat among others, The Incredibles, for Best Picture. Chewbacca the Wookie and Ron Howard's brother have received lifetime achievement awards. This is not some weighty # here people. It's a goofy show for celebrities to pat each other on the back and has a target audience of 15 year olds.

Hardly a zionist plot.

Besides, the article states that the picture wasn't defaced. How would not allowing an undefaced picture of the President be bad on MTV's part here?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I watched MTV for 15 minutes this morning

I hope you washed.

MTV is muck, pure, unadulterated nonsense.

--------------------------------------------------------

That post was pretty pointless, maybe this is more pointful?:
Music is a way for people to express themselves. If you ignore what people are trying to say their music you are missing the point of the music. Look at Pink Floyd, if you listen to The Wall, and ignore the parts about loneliness, depression and violence and only listen to the 'pretty music' you miss what the music is about. Obvioulsy though more and more music is being made now with less and less actual meaning beyond making money.

NIN obviously thought that the poster would enhance their show one way or another, MTV obviously disagreed. Were MTV right to disagree? I don't know but if they didn't and NIN played a version of Manu Chao's Bongo song with the obvious conotations of GW being a monkey then they would have been slated for allowing it to happen ( a pretty silly exaple obviously but it could happen, couldn't it?). Either way MTV would have been in trouble and they must have decided that it would be less trouble to just not let them use the poster.

[edit on 10/6/05 by cmdrpaddy]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:08 AM
link   
The only thing worth watching on MTV is Dirty Sanchez
I think it's only on MTV Europe or something. Comes on pretty late
but Im a night person anyways.

Anyways....I don't understand how some of these Film stars and Musicians can talk about the decline of America due to Bushco and Big Business and talk about how bad all that other crap is. And yes they may have some truth and tell it like it is....but being on MTV is contributing to that more than most. And the same goes for the record labels, and the poducers, etc...etc...

They try to act like the "Middle Class Folk" but they are not...they are strong supporters of what they protest.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
MTV is Owned by Jews.

And Jews Like Bush.

Result:

Pretty Simple.

I was under the impression that the majority of Jews vote almost exclusively Democrat.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   

"Apparently, MTV finds the image of George Bush as offensive as we do"

That is priceless!!! Was the Bush backdrop going to be for "Head like a Hole" perhaps???

"Bow down before the one you serve, you're going to get what you deserve..."

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAmHungry

Originally posted by Souljah
MTV is Owned by Jews.

And Jews Like Bush.

Result:

Pretty Simple.

I was under the impression that the majority of Jews vote almost exclusively Democrat.

I was under the same impression. And being that I am jewish, and I ,as well as my family and all of the other jewish famlies I know, tend to dissagree with alot of the presidents descions, I was a bit confused by the "jews like bush" statement. Some zionists liked Bush because of his policies on Israel though.

new topics

top topics

join