It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Air Force eyes flight of ramjet missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   

After decades of research, US Air Force engineers say they are now on the cusp of testing in flight a novel solid-fuelled propulsion system designed for next- generation air-to-air missiles.

However, standing in the way of them flight testing this Variable Flow Ducted Rocket (VFDR) system - a type of ramjet - is a lack of funding, since the missile work has to compete with more pressing service priorities. Nonetheless, engineers said they are hopeful that the funding will materialise in the next few years.

Developmental efforts by the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) to date have matured the preliminary flight design of a VFDR-powered missile concept.

The AFRL's 7 in-diameter VFDR model is in the same size class as the AMRAAM, and its inlets have been sized for compact carriage in the internal weapons bays of the F/A-22 Raptor and F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, in addition to other AMRAAM carriage concepts, said Fred Davis, technical director of the directorate's assessment and demonstrations division. The AFRL is "very encouraged" by the design, Davis told JDW.

Link

Well i guess the Meteor's match is not very far away ..

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Well i guess the Meteor's match is not very far away ..

What the hell? The Meteor won't be in service until 2010 (if it really ever enters service).

The AIM-120C-7 right now is the missile to beat, and right now the US is working on an even better missile.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Err... There are plenty of other missles which can fairly match the capabilites of the AIM-120C-7. The ones that I can think of (later versions) are that of the AA-12/R-77... and well... thats all. Meteor hasn't been fired yet, while the AAMRAM has been battle proven on top of being tested many times.

BTW, I'm starting to feel a little American.... that is, if you are Russian

[edit on 10/6/05 by W4rl0rD]

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
Err... There are plenty of other missles which can fairly match the capabilites of the AIM-120C-7. The ones that I can think of (later versions) are that of the AA-12/R-77... and well... thats all. Meteor hasn't been fired yet, while the AAMRAM has been battle proven on top of being tested many times.

[edit on 10/6/05 by W4rl0rD]

Ok, then tell me this, what is the R-77's comabt record? If you can't prove it's record, then your argument is invalid.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Ok, let me ask you then, what is the combat record of the AIM-120C-7? Nothing so far right? Ok, earlier versions of the AMRAAM has probably shot down many MiG-21s, I'm not sure how many, could you give me the combat record of the AMRAAM family?

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by W4rl0rD
Ok, let me ask you then, what is the combat record of the AIM-120C-7? Nothing so far right? Ok, earlier versions of the AMRAAM has probably shot down many MiG-21s, I'm not sure how many, could you give me the combat record of the AMRAAM family?

Estimates range from 50-70 kills with the AMRAAM (I could be wrong, but that's what I think it was)

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Ok, agreed that the AMRAAM has been combat proven many times than. I can't say anything on the R-77 being combat proven since it was never fired at all, but all new missles will probably never be combat proven until a war happens. The combat record of the R-77 might change, if war across the Taiwan straits happens.

top topics

join