It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Six months for insulting president

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 05:01 AM
link   
A BALI court has jailed a student for six months for burning a portrait of Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono.

Link

Last month, a Jakarta court sentenced another student leader to six months in jail for burning Dr Yudhoyono's portrait

What would happen in your country if this happened ??

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think the ACLU would be on this faster than flies on you-know-what if it happened here.

Granted, I think the ACLU sucks dishwater, but they *do* have some uses. I don't not listen to them because they're a bunch of whiny lefties...even lefties have a few good points.

'Sides, I think "Chimpy McFlightsuit" sounds almost affectionate....

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sth Hemisphere
What would happen in your country if this happened ??

Nothing, because the 1ST Amendment protects our right to do so.

But then, I live in the USA, not NK, Iran, China, Saudi Arabia, or a dozen other countries where you'd get jail time or even worse for doing this. Those countries are protected by the ZERO Amendment, whereby you can burn Bush's photo, but not the local ruling dictator/theocrat's.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I think indonesia is justified in arresting people who call for the destruction of the authorities, especially when its for the destruction of the person of the president. Wouldn't fly in every country, and it might be an overreaction and uncessary, but I think its relatively justifiable.

posted on Jun, 10 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The scary thing is that when I read the title I really thought this would be an American story and I'm not a giant conspiracy nut either.

new topics

top topics

join