It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest type-98 news

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Well from what I've been seing, and from what I know about tanks the Type-98 isn't the best but still pretty good. IMO the difference between it and an Abrams is definatly marginal enough were training would be the determining factor in an M1A2 vs. Type-98 fight.

Anyhow I remember from playing C&C Generals that the Overlord had two main weaknesses. Hit and run missile attacks from behind, which were devestating seing as the turret was so slow. The other weakness was without the gattling gun it was an expensive hunk of metal just waiting to be demolished by an airstrike.

Now what if they made an overlord in reality that had an anti-missile laser, anti-aircraft gun like the American vulcan mobile AA guns, and a few anti-tank missiles? That would be one heck of a tank. The only problem is it would not be able to cross bridges, that and gas milage would be horrid.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Due to mass UAV’s armed with 2 or possibly more hellfire missiles, Helicopter armed with anti tank missile and long rage Kinetic missiles, the days of the Tank on Tank engagements seem to be dwindling IMO.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Type-98 is definitely not a T-72. Here read this web page, it should explain a lot, www.sinodefence.com...

It is not the best site because it still lacks the updates on the Type-98G upgrade and does not mention our third generation 125mm DU penetrator and the Armour Estimates. Sinodefence states the performance of Type-98 is at the same level as the M1A1 as some parts aproach that of M1A2. I wonder how Type-98G does.

I think tanks will gradually move to unmanned tanks which would allow for much more capabilities to be integrated such as maybe TY-90s or its western equivilant which will be developed later in time, lower silhouette and even more armour.

To defend against armored gunships and UAVs, I think systems like TY-90 is best, it provides adequate defence against helicopters, low flying objects such as cruise missiles and even UAVs.

This is TY-90, world's first specially designed system to knock down helicopter/gunships.
www.sinodefence.com...
www.sinodefence.com...
www.sinodefence.com...

[edit on 14-6-2005 by COWlan]

[edit on 14-6-2005 by COWlan]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Can I get some info on the TY-90, range, targeting , and combat effectiveness.

Can it stop unmanned Vehicles launching a kinetic round that will tear it to shreds from beyond the Tanks affective range?

[edit on 14-6-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   

The Yitian air defence weapon system was first revealed by NORINCO in late 2004. The system consists of eight missiles, a target acquisition radar, and an electro-optical passive tracking director. According to the brochure of the NORINCO, the Yitian system has a reaction time of 6~8 seconds. The 3D radar has a maximum detecting range of 18km, and a maximum tracking range of 10km. In clear weather condition, the system could also use its electro-optical passive tracking director, which has a maximum range of 12km.

The system adopts a modular design, which enables it to be carried on various wheeled or tracked chassis. One design revealed by NORINCO showing the mounted on a WZ-551 6X6 wheeled armoured personnel carrier (APC). Another image showing the system carried by a Dongfeng Motor EQ2050 high-mobility vehicle. The system can be operated by a crew of three (driver, commander, and missile operator).

Eight ready-to-launch missiles are contained in box-shape launchers. The missile has a specially designed seeker for attacking helicopters that operate in near earth environments with strong sources interference. The missile also has a 3kg HE warhead to ensure enough damage to the armour-protected attack helicopter gunships. The operation range for the missile is 300m to 6km.

www.sinodefence.com...

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Why is it that no matter how much "Sino Defence" says that this tank is as good as an M1A2, I just envision smoking Type 98G hulks all over the battlefield in real combat.

I hear tell that the FC-1 is a great little fighter, every bit the match for an F-16C Block 52 - but I have the same thought.

If you have ever compared a Norinco rifle to say, oh, a SiG 550 you'd know what I mean. The Chinese make junk, it's in their nature - it all looks great on paper, but fails to impress in use.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, maybe they are making big strides in quality, but I doubt it.

Final thought - I hope that we never have to find out.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Winchester Ranger T
Why is it that no matter how much "Sino Defence" says that this tank is as good as an M1A2, I just envision smoking Type 98G hulks all over the battlefield in real combat.

I hear tell that the FC-1 is a great little fighter, every bit the match for an F-16C Block 52 - but I have the same thought.

If you have ever compared a Norinco rifle to say, oh, a SiG 550 you'd know what I mean. The Chinese make junk, it's in their nature - it all looks great on paper, but fails to impress in use.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, maybe they are making big strides in quality, but I doubt it.

Final thought - I hope that we never have to find out.

you comparing differnet rifle designs and the sig 550 is swedish...have you ever tried the type -95?

thats your opinion.. american junk is not crash hot either. huge development cost for not a very large improvement.

80s early 90s chiense made goods were not good but look at chinas new manufactured goods. i doubt america could make it as good and as cheap as what china does.

www.china-defense.com...

new sub machine gun

[edit on 20-6-2005 by chinawhite]

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by chinawhite
you comparing differnet rifle designs and the sig 550 is swedish...have you ever tried the type -95?

thats your opinion.. american junk is not crash hot either. huge development cost for not a very large improvement.

i doubt america could make it as good and as cheap as what china does.

I'm sure that the Swiss will be surprised to hear that their rifle is in fact Swedish. FYI - The Swedes use a variant of the FN FNC, a Belgian rifle, and SiG Sauer is as Swiss as a Cuckoo Clock.

You obviously don't know much about small arms.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   

i doubt america could make it as good and as cheap as what china does.

I'm sure that the Swiss will be surprised to hear that their rifle is in fact Swedish. FYI - The Swedes use a variant of the FN FNC, a Belgian rifle, and SiG Sauer is as Swiss as a Cuckoo Clock.

You obviously don't know much about small arms.

No shiet i pointed out that it is not a american design but a swiss one.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
You seem to be having trouble reading your own posts, here's what you said:

If you can't even admit to being wrong about SiG being a Swiss and not a Swedish company, where's your credibility?

But keep trying, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Owned.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

You seem to be having trouble reading your own posts, here's what you said:

If you can't even admit to being wrong about SiG being a Swiss and not a Swedish company, where's your credibility?

But keep trying, even a broken clock is right twice a day. Owned.

lol i wrote swedish

thats what you were trying to say

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
gun making is not diffcult"even in peshawar [pakistan] ak 47 made by local people" but make them effective aginest certain condition is another fact.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join