It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

has anyone here actually heard voices in their head?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I talk to myself, does that count?

If you are otherwise healthy, productive, and stable you don't need to go to a doctor and get a "label" placed on you. You've got better things to do than go and get pumped full of drugs.

Perhaps it was a spirit, not unheard of?

Troy

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Cybertoy..

You know the old saying...as long as you don't get any answers.......

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I wouldnt call it voices in my head exactly, but on my wildest mushroom trip ever I remember feeling a strong connection to some phrases that were ringing in my head. Like the message was resonating on my same vibration. Like getting a tune stuck in you head but worse. I would uncontrollably roll on the ground and mutter these mantras. It was weird to say the least, and actually quite frighting. Its sorta the same because I had to confront the idea that I wasnt in control of my thoughts.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I wonder what that means if you answer yourself? Two personalities I imagine. I guess as long as I'm not talking to another personality I'm ok.

Lost, I've gotten some songs really stuck in my head, and it can be rather annoying.

Troy

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
at the risk of being scooped up and thrown in a straight jacket. i ahve heard one once but then again i was like 7 and doing something i was not supposed to be
so it was probably my head tyelling em to stop

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Ya! Infact when I was very small I could here god,

How do you KNOW it was god? Perhaps it was just one CLAIMING the title...
Read up on cases of possession, as this is typically how it starts...with the person believing they are allowing in the spirit of God (or whatever they perceive as a deity), but then lose control (for whatever paranormal or even psychological reason).....

posted on Jul, 15 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   
When a person hears voices, most people immediately cry "schizophrenia." This is rediculus.

To be considered mentally ill (and qualify for institutionalization) you must pose a threat to yourself or others because of a mental aspect of your life (ie. depression, schizophrenia, split personality).

So, if the voices are not causing you to harm yourself or others then don't worry.

I used to hear a voice in my head when I was 13. My father was mentally abusive and we often got into fights (verbal). Occasionally, the voice would make suggestions about what I should say or do durring these fights. When I listened to this voice it creeped my father out because it was like a different person talking. I had the same voice but the personality and tone was more cold and calculating. Durring one argument I was sent to my room. I sat there crying and feeling depressed. The voice spoke up again. It basically said that I shouldn't have to put up with his crap and that We could beat him. I capitalized the word we to emphasize that it didn't say "I" or "You." What happened next was interesting. It's kinda like a mental handshake (a subtle agreement).

When I was little I always felt like I was missing something. After this mental handshake I immediately felt different. I left my room and confronted my father. I eventually made him so mad that he went to his room, leaving me to do whatever I wanted (which, at the time, was watch a movie). lol.

Looking back at this incident, I feel that the voice in my head was a repressed aspect of my personality. I was always brought up as the brainy kid who has no self-confidence and can't defend himself. The repressed part of me that I felt was missing was the more primal aspect of my personality (agression, rage, and manipulative intelligence). In my case, I needed those things to properly deal with my father.

So don't worry about the voice in your head as long as it doesn't cause you harm. It could just be you talking to yourself.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
A lot of people have little "insanities," but that doesn't make the person as a whole insane. Many of us do things that are not quite sane sometimes, but we live otherwise normal lives.

So, I agree, the "insane" label should only be used for someone who "is insane."

Troy

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Lets get one thing straight first. to hear your own voice and thoughts as voice, inside your own head, is completely normal.

Hearing voices outside your head, as though someone is speaking in your ear is cause for concern. Unless you have biological problem that causes unusual ringing and/or pulsing in the ear. tinitus is a good one to check up. Sometimes the brain may interprit these noises incorrectly and your mind may convert them into coherent words or something to that effect.

Lastly hearing someone elses voice may just be something to do with ADHD or overactive imagination.......im not a doctor so you should probably consult an ONLINE doctor, u no the outcome of telling a doctor in real life.

OOOHHH i just remembered, there is LIME DISEASE, it causes effects similar to insanity, and can be cured with a certain antibiotics, and the cause is simply a certain type of mosquito, it has no symptoms until u start hearing voices and then hallucinating. You should check up on that.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by CloudlessKnight
Ok, yes, I've heard a voice in my head before... It was early morning and something said in my mind in a very harsh, deliberate, sinister whisper, "I keep warning you... Don't... come... back..." It wasn't garbled or hard to make out, or spoken in a different language. It was English, and very, very clear.

It definitely was not something that came from my mind. I'd like to think I'm not crazy.

Are you sure it wasn't the woman in bed next to you?

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
And again, it can also be spiritual phenomena. It happens.

Troy

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
psychiatry is a pseudo science

They just try as many chemicals / treatments as they can imagine on people until they get a decent result, then they go with it.

Prescribng amphetamines to children and sedatives to curb depression, in my opinion its borderline criminal.

Now psychology, however, is the key to truly understanding our brains. Enough advances in this field and we'd be treating mental illness with mental exercises / self-hypnosis / counseling sessions, not drugs that further damage people.

Voices in your head? I wouldn't worry about it, for all we know its possible you may be gifted, more advanced than other humans. Statistics have shown that there's a good number of "mentally unstable" people that interact normally with the rest of society, they've simply disciplined themselves to suppress or work through whatever condition they are in.

by the way what did the voices tell you? any lottery numbers perhaps?

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mercury19
If you are interpreting background noises as voices, try taking vitamin B complex ...like B-50's.. see if it helps I'm not kidding!!

This is EXACTLY what my head does, until I get up and identify whatever is making the "noise" to begin with. (Usually, it's the ventilation system. It makes an odd hissing that cuts in and out quickly. If I'm dozing off, with one ear in the pillow, it sounds JUST LIKE someone whispering.)

As far as actual voices in my head...well...I have dialogues with myself all the time. Do I think I'm nuts? No, not at all.

[edit on 17-7-2005 by Toelint]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mercury19
Cybertoy..

You know the old saying...as long as you don't get any answers.......

LOL! I always say you're not crazy until you have to repeat yourself, because you missed it the FIRST time!

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by benign
psychiatry is a pseudo science

They just try as many chemicals / treatments as they can imagine on people until they get a decent result, then they go with it.

Prescribng amphetamines to children and sedatives to curb depression, in my opinion its borderline criminal.

Wow, way to overgeneralise!

Psychiatry also treats schizophrenia and bipolar disorder; both of these conditions genuinely do require chemical intervention - therapy alone simply doesn't work for either, and we can absolutely quantify the differences between a non-medicated schizophrenic patient and one who is taking the right meds. The differences are huge, and they're also heart-breaking.

As for depression - this is generally treated with both methods : with medication, and with psychotherapy. The meds aren't meant to cure the depression - they simply help you deal with the symptoms while you're going through the psychotherapy (which is meant to cure, for the most part). Again, psychotherapy alone doesn't work for every patient (and medication alone doesn't work for every patient, either). That's why a dual-model approach is necessary.

Neither psychiatry nor psychology are perfect sciences; however neither are pseudo-sciences, ...we do know quite a bit about the brain's chemistry (re psychiatry), as well as how the brain works in an emotional capacity (re psychology). There's still a lot to be learned in both areas.

Though it's true that Ritalin (one example) is grossly overprescribed, we might also need to ask parents why they're taking their normal, rambunctious 6 year old to a psychiatrist, instead of realising that he's just a normal, rambunctious 6 year old.

I'm just loathe to lump all psychiatry, or all psychology, under such umbrella terms, you know?

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
A couple of years ago I had converted to Christianity (I'm an athiest now though), and one night I woke up and I could hear multiple voices that sounded like a distorted males voice. The voices seemed to be coming from all around me like their was a gang of.. things..
I can't remember what they were asking, but I think it had something to do with my choosing a religon or something about my religon.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I had a crazy experience a year ago, im still researching it on my own, once i come up with something i will post the whole thing, actually i might post it before i contact the indian embassy here, its kind of a weird experience. ironic part is everything ive found relating to it is religious in nature but im an atheist.

well i got a bit of time to kill, ill post the beginings of it for now and ill update the thread when / if i come up with something.

I believe there is some subconcious network of mind energy or something going on.

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Funny toelint.

Yeah, sometimes I'm just not paying attention when I'm speaking to myself, so I have to repeat myself.

Dammit Troy now listen to me when I'm talking to me.

Troy

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   
This is a very interesting thread. I often hear 'voices' when im sleeping, I recently heard a women talking, but she wasnt talking to me, she was talking about metal. I believe that our brain can tap into radio waves especially with the amount of mobile phone towers and radiation about.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join